PDA

View Full Version : Fusable Link vs. Fuse Thoughts??

Infidel Edition
07-16-2013, 06:10 PM
OK. I have an '89 Renix 4.0...
The stock wiring is from the battery~
RED (heavy gauge) > Starter Solenoid
RED (lighter gauge) > Starter Relay
Black ground to block & to body.

** then from Starter Relay (via Fusable Links) to
GRN FUS LINK > Ignition
ORG BUS LINK > ECU pin B7
GRN FUS LINK > Haz/Stop Fuse
GRN FUS LINK > Dome Fuse
....+ others
ALL OFF THE SAME POWER STUD ON THE STARTER RELAY!

I picked up a '98 Power Distribution block (under hood wiring harness).
That system wiring is from the battery~
RED (heavy gauge) > Starter Solenoid
RED (lighter gauge) > Pwr Dist. Block
Black ground...

** THEN (vs. starter relay) the lines run from the Pwr Dist. Block to everywhere

I want to clean up things a bit as well as pulling things like the mechanical fan and replacing with electric...
And using a fuse line from the Pwr Dist. Block to a relay... ect.

I was thinking about using separate fused lines for each of the currently FUSE LINK LINES from the starter relay. But wasn't sure if I wanted to pull the fusable link line out ~ or keep it and wire it to a HIGH AMP fuse'd line.

As far as I've been able to find, the fusable link color coding is:
Green = 7 - 13 AMPS
Red = 9 - 17 AMPS
Orange = ??
Blue = ??

Currently, there are 5 green links / 2 orange links / and 1 blue link (on the wiring diagram) from the starter relay to the perspective components. And none note amp ratings...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4.3LXJ
07-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Dave, I took a different route. I hate fusible links and have no love for heavy main fuses. Loose one and they can strand you. So I replaced the fusible links with circuit breakers. Cheap and they will reset themselves and allow you to fix a problem like a wire touching something and get home. Here is my set up straight off the alternator

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1545.jpg

Granted, this is not a 4.0, but you get the idea. I have since added another to this bank. Came in handy a while later till I found a short.

Infidel Edition
07-18-2013, 08:25 AM
So you went with self resetting circuit breakers like what would be used in a power window?
Where'd you get them / How much?

I already have the distribution / fuse block (the under the hood box) from that '98. And it's already wired for 8 relays if I decide to utilize relays...
And it was free.

I was primarily only going to use it to get that wire cluster off the starter relay / and as a clean way to add some none-essential accessories.

4.3LXJ
07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
The relays are cheap and available at any auto parts store