PDA

View Full Version : TPS Trick

xjfreak97
07-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Hey guys wanted to let you know a litle trick that worked for me the other day on my Throttle positioning sensor (TPS).
The other day after finishing a bunch of work and welding on my jeep i reconnected my battery and started it up. Upon start up my rpm's were at 2500 and surging, go into gear and it would drop down to normal but would shift real hard into gear.
So i started reading and everyone was saying tps. So after about an hour or so of messing with it, I started it up and unplugged the tps then immediately plug it back in and BAM! Idling perfect.
so there is a little trick that i discovered hope this helps someone.:cool0010:

Mudderoy
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Hey guys wanted to let you know a litle trick that worked for me the other day on my Throttle positioning sensor (TPS).
The other day after finishing a bunch of work and welding on my jeep i reconnected my battery and started it up. Upon start up my rpm's were at 2500 and surging, go into gear and it would drop down to normal but would shift real hard into gear.
So i started reading and everyone was saying tps. So after about an hour or so of messing with it, I started it up and unplugged the tps then immediately plug it back in and BAM! Idling perfect.
so there is a little trick that i discovered hope this helps someone.:cool0010:

I'm going to make a prediction that this problem comes back. I've replaced the TPS on both my 98 and 99. The 99's issue was keeping it at idle, it would die or not start if you didn't have your foot on the petal.

BlueXJ
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
It is not a complete reset of the computer. I along with Tony think this will re occur until you reset the computer and drive it so the computer can re-learn.

prcjeep
07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
my TPS issue appears to be the harness leading into it... Ive replaced the TPS probably 10 times... but when its running like crap i can usually pop the hood grab the wires about 6 inches back from the TPS, move them around a little bit and my idle comes down and remains steady...

BlueXJ
07-15-2013, 02:41 PM
my TPS issue appears to be the harness leading into it... Ive replaced the TPS probably 10 times... but when its running like crap i can usually pop the hood grab the wires about 6 inches back from the TPS, move them around a little bit and my idle comes down and remains steady...

I think your problem is a bad ground. Run an extra ground to the TPS and I think your problems will go away.

xjfreak97
07-16-2013, 12:34 AM
hahaha replacing a tps 10 times lol try my trick might save YOU alot of money
:out::out::out::out:

the trick is to not replace and stick with stock....reset it......

repeating something expecting a different outcome IS the definition of insanity "10x"