PDA

View Full Version : XJ won't start help.

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 06:37 AM
My Xj won't start for 3 months. It's have no spark. I just purchased new coil & crankshaft position sensor.

Yesterday, I install coil & cps, but still have no spark to run the engine. I do check the cable to & from coil, cps to pcm, and it's connect. I also do reset the pcm (connect the positive & negative cable for 30 sec. And cycle headlight & start the engine, but problems is the same.

Could it be my pcm bad? How do we know when pcm bad? Or there is something I miss to check?

Please help, Thanks.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Does your check engine light work? If so you can use this method to extract any codes and get an idea of what is going on.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11570

Are you by any chance from India?

reddragon72
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
take the center line from your dist cap (once coming from the coil) and see if there is spark. If no spark is present then the emergency shutdown relay could be acting up. Also test for voltage on the two wire plug going into the coil and see if there is voltage. If there is and no spark then you have a bad coil, yes even new coils can be bad, been through three myself.

If you are getting spark from the wire coming from the coil then it's your cap/button(rotor).

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Does your check engine light work? If so you can use this method to extract any codes and get an idea of what is going on.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11570

Are you by any chance from India?
my check engine light work. last time i check is 12 55.

i don't check error code yet after i change coil & cps yesterday. i'm a little affraid because last time i check error code, my coil & cps die. i dont know thats cause it, but 12 55 code is i got always when my xj wont start.

i'm from indonesia..

4.3LXJ
07-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Welcome, another international member.

Just checking for codes shouldn't affect the other components. But I think you may need to here because we are trying to guess what is happening without enough information

prcjeep
07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
12 and 55 are nothing really... 12 means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts and 55 means "end of codes".

Guys, could this be nuetral safety switch issues? My 90 has NSS issues and im too lazy to pull and clean it so i shift it back and forth between park and nuetral and once it starts turning i stop switching it and let her roar.

I didnt notice you mention it above, but is it turning over? if so then my NSS idea is no good.

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
take the center line from your dist cap (once coming from the coil) and see if there is spark. If no spark is present then the emergency shutdown relay could be acting up. Also test for voltage on the two wire plug going into the coil and see if there is voltage. If there is and no spark then you have a bad coil, yes even new coils can be bad, been through three myself.

If you are getting spark from the wire coming from the coil then it's your cap/button(rotor).
yes i do check spark from wire coming from the coil. no spark there and the wire from distributor cup to spark plug also.

where is location of emergency shutdown relay? is it in fuse relay on the engine compartment?

so, the two wires have to produce volt. i'll check it tommorow.
but, how to check voltage from two wire plug that going in to the coil? have to crank the car or not? or on the key ON position?

i still beleive that my pcm is good. i also think that my new coil / cps is bad. i hope so.. :D

prcjeep
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
yes the shutdown relay is in the black fuse box in the engine bay... On the inside of the lid is a diagram of which relay/fuse is for what... you can swap the a/c clutch relay or aux fan relay into the shutdown relay position to determine if that is the issue.

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Welcome, another international member.

Just checking for codes shouldn't affect the other components. But I think you may need to here because we are trying to guess what is happening without enough information
thank you 4.3LXJ :)

yes, tommorow i'll check for error code, and updating here..

12 and 55 are nothing really... 12 means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts and 55 means "end of codes".

Guys, could this be nuetral safety switch issues? My 90 has NSS issues and im too lazy to pull and clean it so i shift it back and forth between park and nuetral and once it starts turning i stop switching it and let her roar.

I didnt notice you mention it above, but is it turning over? if so then my NSS idea is no good.
yes, i do know the error code is.. because when my xj won't start, the code shown.

i do shift the lever to P & N and try to crank, but still have no spark.
i'll try to open NSS, but i can't do because of it sticky, i can't pull it off.
but i think if NSS bad, it will not crank? not no spark.

yes the shutdown relay is in the black fuse box in the engine bay... On the inside of the lid is a diagram of which relay/fuse is for what... you can swap the a/c clutch relay or aux fan relay into the shutdown relay position to determine if that is the issue.
i'll try to swap it tommorow, and updating here..

4.3LXJ
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
If it will crank, the NSS is working properly.

r111rdody
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Yes 4.3LXJ, it do crank, but no spark.
Sorry for not mentioning above..

4.3LXJ
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Fuel pump not work? If not, then the ASD relay mentioned may be the problem. If you check that relay, make sure there is power to it on two of the contacts. If only one, then you will have to look further. There should be a fuse that feeds power to both contacts on it in the fuse block

r111rdody
07-16-2013, 03:05 AM
Fuel pump not work? If not, then the ASD relay mentioned may be the problem. If you check that relay, make sure there is power to it on two of the contacts. If only one, then you will have to look further. There should be a fuse that feeds power to both contacts on it in the fuse block

Fuel pump is work.
So, ASD is fine, right?

I'll check it.

So, if there is no volt on the two wires that going to the coil, what is step I should do.?

4.3LXJ
07-16-2013, 11:19 AM
The dark green/black wire should have power. It is fed power by the ASD relay which receives power by a red wire that comes off the 20A F2 fuse. So check the fuse and make sure the relay is getting power. If it is, then check to see if the light blue/red wire is getting power. If it is not, then it will not excite the relay. I just dealt with this problem on a TJ. This wire is fused elsewhere. Sorry I have forgotten where the fuse for this is. There should be fuse block under the dash I think that has it. To check for power at the main fuse block, take it loose and turn it over where you will be able to probe it easily

r111rdody
07-16-2013, 12:16 PM
hi guys,

today i check error code and 12 55 shown. i swap ASD relay with AC relay & check volt on the wire to coil, cps & cam position sensor, they all have 5v. after that i crank the engine, and it's Start!

hopefully, i have a spare relays for AC. and now my xj works just fine. i'm so happy.
and i want to thank you to this forum, specially to: 4.3LXJ, reddragon72 & prcjeep for help me troubleshoot my problem.. :)

i still have a lack of power problem, because i dont change the catalytic & put o2 sensor yet. i think that my things to do next.

4.3LXJ
07-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Good luck Raja. We would be interested in any pictures you have from your part of the world. We like international members

r111rdody
07-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Good luck Raja. We would be interested in any pictures you have from your part of the world. We like international members
yes 4.3LXJ thanks for warm welcoming me. i'll post pictures later. :)

cosmo11
07-25-2013, 12:45 AM
whats up guys im having the same issue but my peach(jeep) has set for two yrs, put a coil on mine today no luck, I have power goin in nothing goin out,, mine is an 88 4.0 2wd 2dr 5speed, reading the above replies, I have 2 plugs going in my coil 1 plug has 1 wire, the other plug has three wires im confused,, ill post pic tomarow

nickyg
07-25-2013, 07:08 AM
whats up guys im having the same issue but my peach(jeep) has set for two yrs, put a coil on mine today no luck, I have power goin in nothing goin out,, mine is an 88 4.0 2wd 2dr 5speed, reading the above replies, I have 2 plugs going in my coil 1 plug has 1 wire, the other plug has three wires im confused,, ill post pic tomarow

Did you check all the things Raja checked? cam position sensor, Crank position sensor and neutral safety switch.
The only time mine wouldn't start it was the Crank position sensor. I don't know how to check it, I always heard if you think it might be bad go ahead and change it. It's a part that commonly fails.

cosmo11
07-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Were is the crank sensor

4.3LXJ
07-25-2013, 01:36 PM
It is located "conveniently" on the bell housing, driver side just behind and under the intake/exhaust manifold

cosmo11
07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Wow. Lol ok well see what we can do

XJ Wheeler
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Go at it from underneath behind the front axle reaching up.

Don't drop anything in that hole, seriously!

And make sure you get that plastic piece back in right.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.