PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stalls/Shuts Down

Jeeplover88
07-13-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm guessing there already exists a 'topic' for this but I haven't found it so here we are.
Recently my XJ has started to stall out at the most inopportune times.
Every time, the jeep will be at a stop, and without any signs of a problem it shuts off. I put it in park, start it up, it starts and a few seconds later it shuts down again. I start it up again, put it in drive and I'm in my way. It does this 'routine' at least 3 times a week now.
I have an easy 15 minute drive from home to work, so I know it's not because I'm driving it hard.
In an attempt to remedy this I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug cables, distributer & rotor and it still stalls. The engine and tranny are in fantastic condition. Im in the middle of restoring my XJ (it's her 25th birthday this year) So I'm reaching out to you all for help. Any tips, advise, comments, vids or pics are welcome!
She's an '88 stock, inline 6, 4.0L, auto tranny with the renix engine.

Thanks in advance!!!
-Sandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Sandy, the usual culprit for this is the idle air controller. It is located on the throttle body. They get dirty after 25 years and sticky. This little valve is what controls the idle speed of your Jeep. The first thing to do is remove it and get it and the chamber it is in cleaned up. Usually does the trick and costs almost nothing

Mudderoy
07-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Yeah the girls 99 started doing this. I found that if I pushed the gas petal in a little bit it was start and run, basically I was doing what the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) was supposed to do.

Replaced it with one I had taken off my 98 and varoom varoom! Been running fine since.

Jeeplover88
07-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I did replace the whole TB about 1-1/2 months ago along with the TPS and the IAC. I wonder if I have a bad TPS or IAC?? Or if it's something else entirely??

Thanks for the help fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Was the TPS clean when you replaced it. Out of a wrecking yard right?

Jeeplover88
07-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Was the TPS clean when you replaced it. Out of a wrecking yard right?

When I replaced all three, I got all three brand new. Didn't grab anything from a junkyard. I've been working 18 hrs days this week:keegirl:, so I haven't had a chance to swap in a new TPS or IAC. But Like you mentioned, I have been stepping on the throttle when I do feel it stutter/hiccup a little and It levels out.

The XJ hasn't stalled out this week so far. Just a lot of stuttering/ jerking when I step on the gas after I've stopped at a light or stop sign.

Might go home early from work today (6pm) and fix it.:pray::beer:

Jeeplover88
08-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello there Guys and Dolls!

I have good news-good news-bad news-good news....
Stay with me here, LOL

1) Good news - Met my July deadline at work!! :woot: Yeay! No more 18 hr days! Back to the usual 9 hr days (for now)

2) Good news-took 4 days off (deadline wason Wednesday) and got to replace the TPS & IAC. I have driven the XJ for about 6 hrs in the last 4 days.
RESULT: no more engine shutting down!! WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!:bacondance:

3) Bad news - had a little fender bender on Saturday. Intoxicated wrong way driver on a one way street.:mad0090: I'm fine, but the XJ not so much. fender bent in half, hood "shove" up, i can only open the door about 18" and as you can see from the pic, it's a tad out of alignment. She still runs great, just body damage.

3) Good news - Sunday was the unofficial start of restoring the ol' gal!
Going to call it "Project ArchiXJ-25th Anniversary Edition"

Now that I have all the engine/mechanical issues taken care of, first order of business will be fixing the damage from the accident and paint job.
The money I had saved to upgrade the suspension will now be used for that.
I have started a list of what I am aiming to replace/upgrade. :happy0180:

As the project moves along I'll post pics :D

XJ Wheeler
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
That's great... and sucks. Burns me up when i hear of stiff like this happening. But a fresh coat of paint will be nice anyways.

4.3LXJ
08-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Burns me too. So wasteful when people drink and drive. Did he even have a license?

abebehrmann
08-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I feel your pain man. This was my last car which was smashed by a hit and run driver at 5am. Imagine my shock waking up at 5 to find this outside my house! :confused: