PDA

View Full Version : Rust

bad luck
07-12-2013, 04:28 AM
My son wants to get an xj, so we're going up to S.L.C. to look at a 2000 that looks nice, and at a decent price. But I'm concerned about rust, where shall we look for it? Are there any hidden places where it hides? I think they use salt or chemicals on the roads up there in winter. Thanks for any help.

XJ Wheeler
07-12-2013, 05:11 AM
Well there's the easy spots like rockers . But check the bottom of the rear 1/4 panels, floor pans, the bottom of the back of the front wheel wells (might not be able to see it because of the liner), edges of the windshield frame, door hinges, rear "frame rails", under the rear 1/4 panel trim, under the flares, bottom seams of the doors, and probably more i can't think of at the moment.

TimmyTXJ
07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I'd also suggest looking under the back seat where the OEM bottle jack is stored. Remove the jack and pull the carpet back. My XJ had bad rust in that spot that wasn't easily seen from under the Jeep. Hope it all works out!

prcjeep
07-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I got lucky with my 96... its first ten years and 68 thousand miles were in CO and I only had a little rust spot over my muffler(Its now a bit bigger becuase i still have not taken care of it)

Ask them if its ever been overheated or if its ever had running too hot issues... IIRC 00-01 4.0L heads are very prone to cracking.

Azzy
07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Above where the spring shackles connect in the rear. Under the carpet, they rust fast.

Mudderoy
07-12-2013, 10:41 AM
My son wants to get an xj, so we're going up to S.L.C. to look at a 2000 that looks nice, and at a decent price. But I'm concerned about rust, where shall we look for it? Are there any hidden places where it hides? I think they use salt or chemicals on the roads up there in winter. Thanks for any help.

You may know about this already, but just in case. The 2000 and 2001 4.0L XJs had a head redesign which made the exhaust ports smaller. Idea was to get the engine temp up to running temp quicker and reduce emissions/mpg or something. Unintended result? Head cracking! It's not a 100% thing certainly, but those heads are prone to cracking.

1999 was the last year with the decent heads.

drakan1908
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
You may know about this already, but just in case. The 2000 and 2001 4.0L XJs had a head redesign which made the exhaust ports smaller. Idea was to get the engine temp up to running temp quicker and reduce emissions/mpg or something. Unintended result? Head cracking! It's not a 100% thing certainly, but those heads are prone to cracking.

1999 was the last year with the decent heads.

Nothing like getting good head

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
07-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Oh, and if you can peek under the carpet in the cargo area, leaks are common in the rear windows and water runs down there. Can be a sneaky problem.

TheDude
07-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Above where the spring shackles connect in the rear. Under the carpet, they rust fast.

Wait what? There's suppose to be metal covering them? I thought you were suppose to be able to see your shackles from Inside the Jeep..

bigjim350
07-12-2013, 11:54 PM
come down here and buy my xj. Ill sell it cheap

bad luck
07-13-2013, 12:09 AM
My son wants to get an xj, so we're going up to S.L.C. to look at a 2000 that looks nice, and at a decent price. But I'm concerned about rust, where shall we look for it? Are there any hidden places where it hides? I think they use salt or chemicals on the roads up there in winter. Thanks for any help. My son and I, just returned from Salt Lake to look at the jeep, and thanks again for the places to search for hidden rust. I had called this guy yesterday and told him we were coming to look at the xj from about 240 miles away. And would he hold it until we arrived. He assured me that he would, so we left at 8 am this morning, and arrived at noon, and this pos sold it this morning before we arrived. So my son missed a day of work, and I missed my whole day of other projects to attend to. And about $140 worth of fuel for nothing. I was and am very angry with this guy, but what can you do?

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Wow, that's completely disrespectful. With those kind of ethics i bet it wasn't taken care of, so you wouldn't of wanted it anyway. ;)

bad luck
07-13-2013, 12:24 AM
I agree with you Jake, that is not the kind of person I would want to do business with. But I am upset about losing the day for nothing, and the wasted expense of a round trip of about 500 miles. But I'm sure this person could care less about any of that. But if we take our time and look around we might find an even nicer one.

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
I would be too, i think anybody would be. Don't let his ignorance mess with ya. Saved ya from dealing with a pile.

bigjim350
07-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Seriously. Mine is for sale. Ill meet ya half way for the right price. Never been offroad....that avatar is a photoshop :o Has no rust at all

bluedragon436
07-13-2013, 04:11 AM
That sucks to hear about the guy selling the Jeep before you guys got there.. Maybe it was for the better though, and I'm sure you guys will find another clean XJ to pick up for him... Might even find one that is a better deal!!

4.3LXJ
07-13-2013, 05:38 AM
My son and I, just returned from Salt Lake to look at the jeep, and thanks again for the places to search for hidden rust. I had called this guy yesterday and told him we were coming to look at the xj from about 240 miles away. And would he hold it until we arrived. He assured me that he would, so we left at 8 am this morning, and arrived at noon, and this pos sold it this morning before we arrived. So my son missed a day of work, and I missed my whole day of other projects to attend to. And about $140 worth of fuel for nothing. I was and am very angry with this guy, but what can you do?

Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time on Craigs List. You just have to expect it. When these guys get cash waved in front of them, they take it. On the other hand, I have had many people say, Yeah, I want it and I am coming and they never show. It sucks that this happened. But you did have some quality time with your son, as I have had with mine chasing the right deal

bad luck
07-13-2013, 06:43 AM
BigJim, can you pm me with some details and the asking price? I think we should probably look for a 99, if the head is better on those. I didn't know that when I purchased my 01. Thanks

bad luck
07-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all the time on Craigs List. You just have to expect it. When these guys get cash waved in front of them, they take it. On the other hand, I have had many people say, Yeah, I want it and I am coming and they never show. It sucks that this happened. But you did have some quality time with your son, as I have had with mine chasing the right deal

Yes, I agree Steve. I could never do that though. And wouldn't want to. And I'll bet all the members of this forum wouldn't either. But that's enough whining from me. Thanks again to everyone for your valuable advice.

Brasscatz
07-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Yes, I agree Steve. I could never do that though. And wouldn't want to. And I'll bet all the members of this forum wouldn't either. But that's enough whining from me. Thanks again to everyone for your valuable advice.

It's happened to me sooooo many times when I was Jeep shopping. Funny though... I've got a lawn mower up for sale on CL right now and the guy that offered me $35 keeps postponing another night. So I get an email from a guy wanting to buy it... I say sorry, but I've got a pending sale for $35. He says he'll pay $50 for it now. I said sorry but I'll let you know if this deal falls through.
Well, the first guy postponed again, and I'm sick of it. I emailed the other guy and he should hopefully be picking it up today. First come first serve after I've been flaked on a few times. But I give the first person who contacts me dibbs if they actually come out to buy the thing.