PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise help

Brasscatz
07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
So my steering makes noise... it pops when I turn the wheel at slow speeds, and it makes a grinding/vibe noise when I turn it to a certain point and hold it. Happens more when it's in gear rather than in park. The popping makes me think gear box, the other noise in the video makes me think power steering pump. What do you guys think? You have to listen hard, but you can kind of hear it. If you need me to upload a different video of the sound, no problem just let me know.

Notice how I'm turning the wheel and holding it when it makes the sound

http://youtu.be/Tyj1obX9NMc

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.ipick.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/turn-your-phone-music-video-parodies-no-scrubs-520x292.jpg

:smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
So my steering makes noise... it pops when I turn the wheel at slow speeds, and it makes a grinding/vibe noise when I turn it to a certain point and hold it. Happens more when it's in gear rather than in park. The popping makes me think gear box, the other noise in the video makes me think power steering pump. What do you guys think? You have to listen hard, but you can kind of hear it. If you need me to upload a different video of the sound, no problem just let me know.

Notice how I'm turning the wheel and holding it when it makes the sound

http://youtu.be/Tyj1obX9NMc

Do you have to be moving for the noise? How the fluid in your power steering reservoir?

Brasscatz
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.ipick.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/turn-your-phone-music-video-parodies-no-scrubs-520x292.jpg

:smiley-laughing021:

:P:P:P I actually did it on purpose so that you would concentrate on the noise and not the video!!

Brasscatz
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Do you have to be moving for the noise? How the fluid in your power steering reservoir?

Moving as in vehicle in motion, or moving as in turning the wheel? I was sitting still in a parking spot with my foot on the brake and the trans in Drive when I took the video, but I can hear the popping when I am turning at very very slow speeds. And the reservoir is full :(

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Moving as in vehicle in motion, or moving as in turning the wheel? I was sitting still in a parking spot with my foot on the brake and the trans in Drive when I took the video, but I can hear the popping when I am turning at very very slow speeds. And the reservoir is full :(

I had a single pop when I was backing out with steering wheel turned, it was the track bar. Have you ever replaced the wheel bearings, the u-joints in the axles? How many miles? I bet it's in your info, but I forgot to look.

Brasscatz
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Track bar is "gently used" RC track bar from Matt, Front bearings and axle u-joints were replaced less than 15,000 miles ago. I had thought ball joints with the popping, but the only things I can think of that would do it if I turn and hold the wheel at a certain point when the Jeep is stationary is the pump and possibly the gear box. Matt had me check the steering shaft connections at the box and above my pedals... they look fine too.

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Track bar is "gently used" RC track bar from Matt, Front bearings and axle u-joints were replaced less than 15,000 miles ago. I had thought ball joints with the popping, but the only things I can think of that would do it if I turn and hold the wheel at a certain point when the Jeep is stationary is the pump and possibly the gear box. Matt had me check the steering shaft connections at the box and above my pedals... they look fine too.

Yeah I think the popping noise during motion and the grinding noise are two things. I think the grinding is your power steering. You could take the belt off and just run the engine for a couple of minutes without the power steering running. See if that grinding noise goes away.

Brasscatz
07-10-2013, 09:43 PM
That could definitely eliminate or confirm the pump... I'll look into that this weekend when I do my radiator and such

4.3LXJ
07-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Jim, have your sweetheart turn the wheel with the hood up. If the pump is groaning you will be able to isolate that noise

Brasscatz
07-11-2013, 12:32 AM
I have, and it's always had a slight groan, but now that I've found this sweet spot of "grinding", I need to do that again.

XJ Wheeler
07-11-2013, 03:44 AM
This is where a mechanics stethoscope could come in handy. HF has em for few bucks in case you don't have one.

I agree with tony, i think they're separate issues. With the popping it seems common to be either the track bar or track bar mount at the frame. Check the bolts there. Just something I've noticed with others similar issues.

4.3LXJ
07-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I had a pop too and it turned out to be the trac bar

NW99XJ
07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Just going off the video it sounds more like a rattle than a pop/thud/or clank/clunk.....
It almost (to me) sounds like cavitation in the lines, causing them to vibrate.....
Do you have any leaks at all in the system?
Whats the fluid look like?
Any bubbles?
Is it burnt at all?
I would consider having someone sit in the rig and turn it like you were in the vid, and get under there, and see if you cant pinpoint the sounds source.
My gut feeling is that its pump or box related, and not something in the linkage/joints/ends.

Mudderoy
07-13-2013, 12:01 AM
This is where a mechanics stethoscope could come in handy. HF has em for few bucks in case you don't have one.

I agree with tony, i think they're separate issues. With the popping it seems common to be either the track bar or track bar mount at the frame. Check the bolts there. Just something I've noticed with others similar issues.

You can use some vacuum line. One up to your ear the other end point around until you hear the noise loud. Kind of like a directional radar! :D

Brasscatz
07-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Just going off the video it sounds more like a rattle than a pop/thud/or clank/clunk.....
It almost (to me) sounds like cavitation in the lines, causing them to vibrate.....
Do you have any leaks at all in the system?
Whats the fluid look like?
Any bubbles?
Is it burnt at all?
I would consider having someone sit in the rig and turn it like you were in the vid, and get under there, and see if you cant pinpoint the sounds source.
My gut feeling is that its pump or box related, and not something in the linkage/joints/ends.

I don't have any noticeable leaks and the fluid looks good and smells fine. I'm going to take a real close look at it tomorrow when I have my radiator out. Wish me luck!

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Good luck!

Brasscatz
07-13-2013, 07:13 PM
After checking my steering, I found the source of my popping to be the track bar where it attaches to the axle, and that bolt wasn't quite tight enough. Got it as tight as I could and the popping seems gone, BUT the grinding noise that I took a video is still there

Mudderoy
07-13-2013, 08:02 PM
After checking my steering, I found the source of my popping to be the track bar where it attaches to the axle, and that bolt wasn't quite tight enough. Got it as tight as I could and the popping seems gone, BUT the grinding noise that I took a video is still there

Woohoo! Track bar! Mine was popping at the uni-body is the only difference. I wonder if the hole has wallered out.

Brasscatz
07-13-2013, 08:51 PM
It's possible. there was movement for sure, but a tighter bolt seemed to help. I don't know if the metal sleeve is in there or not. I'll have to double check with "Matt the installer" :D

XJ Wheeler
07-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I bet the grinding is gonna be the pump, that's what it sounds like to me from the video anyway.

Brasscatz
07-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I forgot to add that I had my wife turn the wheel while I was under it. That's how I found the moving part of the track bar. The grinding is weird, very hard to hear from the engine bay, but easier to hear underneath. I can feel the vibration of it through holding the steering components. Is it possible that something is a bit loose in the gear box when you hit that sweet spot causing vibrations?

XJ Wheeler
07-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Granted i'm only listening to the video but it sounds more like a noise coming from something with a lot of fast movement. Like a hum. But you know better than me on what it sounds like. If that is the case though i wouldn't think it would come from something slow like the gearbox.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I forgot to add that I had my wife turn the wheel while I was under it. That's how I found the moving part of the track bar. The grinding is weird, very hard to hear from the engine bay, but easier to hear underneath. I can feel the vibration of it through holding the steering components. Is it possible that something is a bit loose in the gear box when you hit that sweet spot causing vibrations?

I was withholding any comments until you got this far with it. My opinion for what it is worth so far is that I think the valving inside the box is shuddering and not acting smoothly. When you turn the wheel there is a slight play opening a valve and sending pressure into the hydraulic cylinder inside the box. When the valve is not open, the fluid simply returns to the pump. This is normally a smooth operation.

Brasscatz
07-14-2013, 07:47 PM
aha! So is this something corrected by adjusting the box, or is it a "rebuild/get a new gearbox" type of thing?

msmoorenburg
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
aha! So is this something corrected by adjusting the box, or is it a "rebuild/get a new gearbox" type of thing?

we can adjust it and see what happens

Brasscatz
07-14-2013, 07:57 PM
we can adjust it and see what happens

Hmm... "Light Bulb": I'm going to Austin on business tomorrow and I'll be gone for a week... Matt can come pick up my Jeep, fix everything that's wrong, and I'll pick it up on Saturday!

Hey... it was worth a shot ;) LOL

4.3LXJ
07-14-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't tink adjusting will fix it, but won't hurt it either

prcjeep
07-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Who needs power steering anyways???