PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Switches

BigJonMX
07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Hi. i need to replace my headlight switch, as a relative pulled the plunger right out of the dash, breaking the insides of the switch !! :mad0090:

So i've been shopping around and see a few variations of the switch based on the year. Older models have a thick white plastic disk, new models have a thin metal disk...

The DS741T looks exactly like mine, but the sites i've found it on say not for a 98 Cherokee.

So whats the difference? Anyone know?
I think i'll get one as its like 15dollars, whereas the 'correct' one is about 40dollars...

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Have you removed it yet? I did a search and I found this. I've never seen one before, but this looks wrong to me.

:link: (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Jeep/Cherokee/Standard/Headlight_Switch/1998/SIDS357.html?apwcid=productads&003=27846857&010=apwSIDS3571998jechhesw&gclid=CJu20puRpbgCFVFo7Aod-nEApQ)

NW99XJ
07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
That pic looks similar to the one I pulled out of the dash in my 99.....
I have an article written up on how to rebuild/recondition the head light switches in the late models with a TON of pictures.....
You can find that HERE (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11357)
...that might help you....
good luck.

BigJonMX
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
@nw99xj - nice write up. i've done that a few times myself. And with one old switch i drilled out the rivits and opened up the box to clean/fix the inside. put it back together with garden wireties. it lasted about a year before some plastic broke... (i should have made a photo story!)

thats the problem i have now. some internal plastic is broken. And i dont want to spend lots on this. So the DS741T "looks" right but is much cheaper and websites claim its not for a 98. But i cant see (or find) why...

maybe i just buy it anyways and crack it open :)

Mudderoy
07-10-2013, 09:59 AM
@nw99xj - nice write up. i've done that a few times myself. And with one old switch i drilled out the rivits and opened up the box to clean/fix the inside. put it back together with garden wireties. it lasted about a year before some plastic broke... (i should have made a photo story!)

thats the problem i have now. some internal plastic is broken. And i dont want to spend lots on this. So the DS741T "looks" right but is much cheaper and websites claim its not for a 98. But i cant see (or find) why...

maybe i just buy it anyways and crack it open :)

I'm pretty certain that DS357 is the correct part number.

NW99XJ
07-10-2013, 10:00 AM
There's always the alternative..... head to the Junkyard and grab a used one.... Or a couple.... prob wont be more than 5 bux or so....