PDA

View Full Version : 4to1 t-case worth it?

gary63
07-08-2013, 06:53 PM
I have a oppatunety to get a 4to1 4 low for my T-case is it worth it?
I have heard that if I go with it I should get the 2 low kit also because in 4low
with the 4:1 it is very hard to steer? I would like any and all input good bad or if I do get it what alls I my want to do get or do? I would like to get it if it will work but not if I can only use it going strait. thanks

4.3LXJ
07-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Gary, I can speak with some authority on this. I have an Atlas 4 speed with both the 2.7 and 3.8 ratios and can do all ranges in 2WD if I want. So here is my take. If you have a general trail machine, the 2.7 ratio is a good ratio. A decent mud and snow ratio as well. The lower range is a good one for rocks, it has much better power and lower speed if it is really rough. However, it is not a good trail ratio, too slow. Steering is unaffected by ratios. The loss of turning radius is more affect by having a front locker

gary63
07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks I know the front lock is hard on steering that is way I'm going with ether a air ,elec.,or ox lockers in front amd rear.As for what I drive in when offroad it is 1/3 mud and snow 1/3 rocks and 1/3 sand so it sounds like it would only get used 1/3 of the time the rest of the time in would to low and I would only have high to work with. I think I will stay stock for now and keep trying to talk my wife into lotting my put in a atlas4. She just not sher about the 2 stick situp and she will be driving it sometime got to keep her happy.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Actually there are three sticks with the 4 speed. But easy to drive. the knobs are labeled

gary63
07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I was looking at the reg. atlas first and almost had her talked into it then she saw some one with it in theres and she figerd she would missup. we didn't get a chans the talk to them about it.I had a twin stick on my cj5 and that was a pain but it was a bad home made set up. she will come over to the 4x4 side and I will talk her in on it she starting to like going offroad more when I do something that makes it easyand funner she all in. Thank for the inf. I may stell get it and use it to trade.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Actually, the Atlas is easier to shift in and out than the 231. Especially high range. Just pull back on the left lever and it is there. Decelerate a little and push and it is out. Low range shifting works best with the engine off to engage the rear and then front when moving. The hardest part of the installation is coming up with a decent linkage that is console friendly. I ended up making my own. It came out very clean and easy to use

gary63
07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
that is what I have heard both how it work and everyone who has one had to build the consal and linkage. the consal was going to get redone anyway.
now to talk her into it. she is the veto on this one I built the cj5 and the powerwagon but this one is a DD and she will be driving it some time like in the winter and on some trails. like when we go and do the little rattle snake trail the xj will hall all the camping gear but I have to take the cj on the trail size limit wheel to wheel the xj is to big.Did you have to clock it if so did you by or make a adapter?

4.3LXJ
07-09-2013, 04:38 PM
The 4 speed comes set up to clock in any position. Lots of sets of holes. You insert your own studs where you want them. I assume the Atlas II is the same way

07Negative
07-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Hey Steve. But doesn't ring and pinion have something to do with all this as well?

4.3LXJ
07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Hey Steve. But doesn't ring and pinion have something to do with all this as well?

Yes, but in the end crawling has much more to do with tcase ratios than the diff. It just a mater of numbers. The 4.0 range is a change of 48%. Hard to achieve with diffs alone. You would have to go to 4.88s to get that and stay with stock sized tires to achieve the same thing

gary63
07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Than when you drove on the road to go anywere the motor would be screeming because of the RPM you would be running.not good for motor or mpg.

4.3LXJ
07-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes. Transfercase gearing gives you options to use with highway gearing

gary63
07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
4.3lxj dos the atlas have a pump or dos the gears move the lube around? The older t-cases use to move the grease with the gears and chain and if you did a lot of hill climing parts of them would run dry and heat up.so when I replace the t-case I would like a pump or install one so I can run a cooler. any thoughts on that I have boald a t-case before it got so hot you couldn't tutch it.

4.3LXJ
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Gear boxes do get warm, warmer than most people realize. There is no pump in them like the NP chain drive cases. The reason there is a pump in them is that if there is an axle disconnect and the case is in 2WD, the chain will not move and oil has no way to get to the top. The Atlas cases are old school in most ways, sort of, and circulate oil from the motion of the gears. They come with Amsoil synthetic gear oil, which will take more heat than paraffin base oils

gary63
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
the atlas is all gears and no chain more like a manule trans. right i think i read that somewere ? if that is right i think i found my plus for getting one.my wife wishes the231 didn't have a chain her dad had one of the first alum. housing chain t-cases and when the chain broke witch they did it broke the case and you were stuck.:)

4.3LXJ
07-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes, no chain. Stronger than an NP205 with synchros for all gears. You won't break the case on these.