PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leaking from gas tank 1999 XJ

Mudderoy
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I was doing the heat treatment on the final grey/black corner piece on the 1999 the other day and I smelled gas really bad.

After awhile I saw a spot on the ground. Getting up under the back of the XJ I was able to see that fuel was running down from the top of the tank. I put my hand up there and the fuel pump assembly was in the tank just fine and the hoses felt normal. The fuel was either dripping from a cracked line or coming up from around where the assembly screws on top of the tank.

My daughter had just filled it up, and I asked her if she stopped with the pump shut off or continued to fill it. She said when the pump shut off she stopped.

As far as I know this is the first time it's been like this.

Anyone else had this problem? What was your issue and how was it resolved?

ArmyGuy45
07-09-2013, 05:42 AM
They say that a bar of soap can stop a fuel leak since it reaction to the fuel and hardens. Though if you have a dentist mirror or something similar and you can get a look around that would be best.

XJ Wheeler
07-09-2013, 05:55 AM
If the later models are like the early XJs then it may be that seal around the pump. They can crack and leak when full or sloshing. It sucks but to finding problem may require pulling the tank.

ArmyGuy45
07-09-2013, 05:58 AM
If the later models are like the early XJs then it may be that seal around the pump. They can crack and leak when full or sloshing. It sucks but to finding problem may require pulling the tank.

If this is the case, might as well swap everything out while you are there.