PDA

View Full Version : 1995 XJ build... Newbie here!

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Not sure if this is in the right place, so forgive me if it's not... I'm new.

I've been driving a 2010 Nissan Versa for the last month... You have to floor it to get up a hill. I never want to deal with that again, so I've decided that when I get my jeep tagged and insured, a few mods will be in order. I'm not looking to build a stump-puller, just to get a nicer throttle response and a little extra torque.

-Larger (200cc per minute, probably) fuel injectors from a Dodge Neon.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200902253193&cmd=VISPEC
-A bored out (63mm) throttle body.
http://strokedjeep.com/tbody.html
-A header.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATP-101212
-2.5" exhaust pipes.
From a muffler shop -- I can't find a 2.125 inlet to 2.5 outlet piece.
-A glasspack muffler, or some other free-flowing muffler.
http://summitracing.com/parts/imm-87522
-New single-prong iridium spark plugs (same reach and thread size as stock).
http://summitracing.com/parts/ngk-2669
-10mm spark plug wires.
http://summitracing.com/parts/dui-c9087rd
-A cold-air intake kit and better filter.
http://summitracing.com/parts/spe-9948

Should run me a fair amount, but I'll do it gradually... I think the fuel injectors will be the first upgrade, then the throttle body and cold-air intake/air filter kit... Then the exhaust system, then the ignition system.
When I'm done, it should be much more responsive as far as the throttle goes, right? I should also see (slightly) better fuel mileage too, shouldn't I?
After these mods will come larger but lighter wheels and tires, then disk brakes on all 4 wheels, then a 3-inch lift kit. But those things aren't as important to me, and they cost more, so I'll save them for later.

Right now I'm still waiting to get it tagged and insured, so I figured this is the time to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Anyway...
The part number on those fuel injectors is the one for a Neon, but they come in a set of 6... Seems odd, but right now I'm considering it a blessing. Should I be wary of cleaned up Cherokee injectors being passed off as Neon ones?
Also, would it hurt to go to 8mm plug wires? It's a $50 difference.

Again, I'm just planning things right now, so any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Welcome

The 4.0L is kind of an old school engine ................. so it does well with some mods and not others. First question is if you have to pass smog inspection or not where you live. These engines seem to do the best with old school Champion copper plugs. Go figure. But make sure your cold air intake is a true cold air intake. That is it truly takes air from the outside. If you don't have to smog, using a 00 - 01 intake with that throttle body will give you some added horsepower. Don't go too big on the injectors, it will run rich. The Neon injectors seem to be the ticket. Many times people put in other injectors that are designed to run on lower fuel pressure and the milage goes down.

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 10:16 AM
It depends... If I register it in Atlanta, I have to be emissions compliant. If I register it in my hometown, there are no emissions laws...

I'm hoping to register it in my hometown, that way I don't have to worry about a catalytic converter.

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Also, here's a picture, though there's really not much to see, since it's bone stock.

Also, regarding the spark plugs, noted. I just figured the iridium ones would last longer, and read somewhere that XJs like single-prong plugs, so I figured single-prong iridium plugs with the stock measurements would be the best, but hey, if the general consensus is that the OEM copper ones work best, that's fine with me... Should save me $36.

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Also, here's a picture, though there's really not much to see, since it's bone stock.

Also, regarding the spark plugs, noted. I just figured the iridium ones would last longer, and read somewhere that XJs like single-prong plugs, so I figured single-prong iridium plugs with the stock measurements would be the best, but hey, if the general consensus is that the OEM copper ones work best, that's fine with me... Should save me $36.

HA! It looks like mine just mine is one year older, a 4WD and red. Here I'll post a pic:

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 12:01 PM
A good high flow cat in no detriment. The thing about the manifold is that it breathes much better, but it can affect emissions

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I just don't want to have to pay for a good high-flow cat...=P

Plus if I don't have to be emissions-compliant, I can do whatever I want to my Jeep, pretty much.

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I just don't want to have to pay for a good high-flow cat...=P

Plus if I don't have to be emissions-compliant, I can do whatever I want to my Jeep, pretty much.

Except crash it...don't wanna crash it :D

grapeape
07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
While you may not have to pass an inspection, all 50 states still require 1982+ vehicles to run a cat if they are used on public roads. Spend the extra $ to do it the right way the first time, and get yourself a highflow spun cat. The power difference between a high flow cat and no cat is not enough to notice, and you'll be legal. Also you won't have to add a cat later if you move somewhere that requires emission testing.

If you have your original cat intact most salvage yards will pay $40 to $60 for it. This will help offset the cost of the spun cat.

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I see... I guess I'll have to go that route, then. I can afford it, it'll just leave me with less disposable income. But I think it would prove worth it, in the end. It's something I'll do sooner or later anyway, so I may as well go with sooner.

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
I was looking at the newer intake manifold, and this listing seems to be the best deal... But there's no description, and the title isn't helpful. Can anyone confirm that this part will fit? Also, could I use my old gasket (my car's low mileage, it should be in good shape) or a direct replacement, or would this require a different gasket? Sorry for the newbiness.

Item listing:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=111112753809&index=2&nav=WATCHING&nid=26819054945

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 09:32 PM
That looks like the one. you will have to match the ports a little, but that is typical

2WDUnderachiever
07-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm... I have a dremel and no life, it should be okay.

Not sure whether or not I'll go for the new manifold right away or not. I guess if I'm doing it then it makes more sense than waiting does. But buying the new manifold will restrict my funding, which won't let me do any exhaust work for a while.

Since I'm a newbie where XJs are concerned (but fairly knowledgeable about cars), I'll ask you...
Should I go for air/fuel first, or exhaust?
I could buy a newer manifold, Neon injectors, the bored TB, and a cold-air intake, or I could buy a header (so odd not saying headers), a spun cat, a less restrictive muffler, and bigger exhaust pipes.
I think the exhaust work would give me "more" maximum "power" but I think the air/fuel work would give me a better, more useful power curve, and better throttle response. That's just what I would assume... Correct me if I'm wrong.

So which would you do first? They both cost about the same, by the way.

nickyg
07-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Is one in need of repair? for example: does the exaust have a rust hole or something? I'd tackle the thing in the worst shape first.

And even at bone stock they still look purty.

Mudderoy
07-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Hmm... I have a dremel and no life, it should be okay.

Not sure whether or not I'll go for the new manifold right away or not. I guess if I'm doing it then it makes more sense than waiting does. But buying the new manifold will restrict my funding, which won't let me do any exhaust work for a while.

Since I'm a newbie where XJs are concerned (but fairly knowledgeable about cars), I'll ask you...
Should I go for air/fuel first, or exhaust?
I could buy a newer manifold, Neon injectors, the bored TB, and a cold-air intake, or I could buy a header (so odd not saying headers), a spun cat, a less restrictive muffler, and bigger exhaust pipes.
I think the exhaust work would give me "more" maximum "power" but I think the air/fuel work would give me a better, more useful power curve, and better throttle response. That's just what I would assume... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I'd go after the exhaust first. Generally this is the cheapest easiest way to better mpg and horse power. The 4.0 doesn't turn very high rpms so without proper exhaust flow you'll hurt power in the 4k to 5k range.

XJ Wheeler
07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
If it were me i'd go with things that work together. Intake and exhaust work well together, as well as more fuel and better spark. But for easy's sake the exhaust header, intake manifold, throttle body, and fuel injectors all come off to do the header so to do all those at the same time would save time.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.