PDA

View Full Version : Fluid Additives...What Do You Use?

JeepFreak
07-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Just thought I'd ask the community what additives they use for their Jeep or other cars in general. I use Lucas, STP and a few others like Gumout. Does anyone else use additives and if so, what do you use them for? (Fuel, Tranny, Oil, etc)

BeardedBassGuy
07-03-2013, 10:34 PM
I haven't put anything in my jeep yet since I just got it a few weeks ago...

However, I have always used Seafoam in my transmissions. Best stuff on the market for years IMO. Lots of old timer swear by it as well.

bigjim350
07-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Used Lucas in the engine for my xj. Didnt make any difference. No need to use sea foam on mine. Its hard to build up carbon when your always flooring it :D

JeepFreak
07-03-2013, 10:44 PM
I haven't tried sea foam but then again I only started putting additives in the tranny since yesterday and I put some conditioner stuff in it. I used STP in the oil for high mileage cars along with high mileage oil from Pennzoil. Sometimes I like to use Lucas in my tank and other times I'll use Gumout.

grapeape
07-03-2013, 10:57 PM
I've never really been a fan of transmission additives. I do use seafoam in my gas occasionally, and 2 ounces of Lucas break in oil in the motor oil will bring the zddp levels back up to the old standard.

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I've never really been a fan of transmission additives. I do use seafoam in my gas occasionally, and 2 ounces of Lucas break in oil in the motor oil will bring the zddp levels back up to the old standard.

Are transmission additives bad? Is that why you don't use them? I'd really rather not be putting stuff in my Jeep that could potentially do more harm than actually protect it.

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I have found the best thing for the tranny is changing the oil once in awhile. We took one here with 357K on it from not working to working great just with a couple of oil changes

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 12:20 PM
How often should you change the fluid? I've heard the tranny oil should be changed every 5 oil changes or every 15,000 miles.

grapeape
07-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Most tranny additives are designed to soften hard seals, but they don't differentiate between hard and soft seals. They can end up attacking your good seals and creating new leaks.

As for change intervals, I usually go for 25k miles for automatics and 50k on manuals, and yearly on the diffs.

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Well that might actually be good then because the tranny is the original 20 y/o stock tranny so that means all the seals have probably hardened up by now. Won't be using it again though just in case. I just had the tranny serviced a few months back (like 2 or 3) so I don't think it'll need to be serviced anytime soon and I've done 2 oil changes since then.

4.3LXJ
07-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Tranny fluid ideally every 50K 100K at most

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Well I've only gone about 6,000 miles or so since then so I think I should be ok.

cpttuna
07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Don't forget to check your tranny fluid. You want a reddish color not brownish.

JeepFreak
07-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't forget to check your tranny fluid. You want a reddish color not brownish.

Yeah it's still quite reddish-purple actually but moreso red. It's good. Hopefully it stays that way until the next time I need to change it.

Infidel Edition
07-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I've got 180K on my AX15...
?? knows if it's ever been changed. So, tomorrow is the day.

The book suggests SAE 75W-90, API GL-5 gear lub.

For a higher mileage vehicle... what do you guys use?

prcjeep
07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I've got 180K on my AX15...
?? knows if it's ever been changed. So, tomorrow is the day.

The book suggests SAE 75W-90, API GL-5 gear lub.

For a higher mileage vehicle... what do you guys use?

There is a lot to read about what to put into our AX15's.. I used penzoil syncromesh fluid on my last change... many people say the API-GL-5 fluid will deteriorate the syncros in our trans' and a "yellow metal" fluid is highly recommended...

Somewhere on the forum a few months back a video was posted of a retired engineer from mopar/chrysler saying that for manual transmissions with "yellow metals" the best fluid out there is mobile 1 High Mileage. The guy in the video was very specific about the High Mileage because it has the minerals and such that DONT eat away the syncros and provide the best lubrication. I havent changed mine to mobile 1 HM yet but will try it out next change

Infidel Edition
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Took a bit of search I g... and calls to customer er service (since the auto store staff looked at me like I had a D!c< on my forehead)
I noticed this for $26 / gal.
At NAPA
Item 4 states noncorosive to brass, copper, or other yellow metals

grapeape
07-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Took a bit of search I g... and calls to customer er service (since the auto store staff looked at me like I had a D!c< on my forehead)
I noticed this for $26 / gal.
At NAPA
Item 4 states noncorosive to brass, copper, or other yellow metals

Same stuff I use in VW transmissions.

prcjeep
07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
that should do the trick... the api/gp-3 is what originally was called for and its hard to find without digging nowadays

bad luck
07-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Just thought I'd ask the community what additives they use for their Jeep or other cars in general. I use Lucas, STP and a few others like Gumout. Does anyone else use additives and if so, what do you use them for? (Fuel, Tranny, Oil, etc)

I have heard that if a good synthetic engine oil is used, additives should not by used. So I don't use any in oil, or tranny. But fuel additives might be good, but how can you tell which ones do work and which ones are just being sold to make a profit for the company. I don't have a clue, if I should use any or what to use. Also what grade of fuel does every one use, I just buy the cheapest, is that a mistake?

Infidel Edition
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
I have heard that if a good synthetic engine oil is used, additives should not by used. So I don't use any in oil, or tranny. But fuel additives might be good, but how can you tell which ones do work and which ones are just being sold to make a profit for the company. I don't have a clue, if I should use any or what to use. Also what grade of fuel does every one use, I just buy the cheapest, is that a mistake?

I've used Seafoam 1/2 in oil 1/2 in fuel each oil change.
But that's about it.

In my wife's car, I've used things like the red bottle of Heat (fuel dryer) and have gotten good results.
Figure your mileage without...
Then mileage with.
If it is better...
Figure the cost of the additive vs. The fuel savings.
Red bottle for $0.66 / bottle (sale price) saves me ~ a gallon a tank.
So money well spent

gary63
07-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I have and steal do use XADO products in my oil,power steering,tran.and T-case.
I have used it in the oil and the comprion came up and stayed up in the power steering it elemenated a howl in one car and quited the other down a lot and it has over 250,000 on the rack.

LizardRunner
07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
I use Seafoam in the gas tank. Tranny gets no extras.

JeepFreak
07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Well I did use some Tranny Conditioner in my trans and it did seem to help it shift easier. It definitely doesn't have an issue shifting from P to R (hard shifting) anymore on inclines. It shifts pretty softly now on inclines (my parking space is on a hill). Pretty satisfied overall.

KristinaU102
11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but....

So a good fuel additive is Sea Foam Motor Treatment? I was told "a fuel additive would be good to use every now and then" but the person (mechanic) didn't expound on that.

My last full tank got me upwards around 175 miles before the low fuel light came on. I'm thinking I can do better than that.

BTW, he's had a very recent full tune up and oil change and all his fluids have been topped off.

THANKS!!!

nickyg
11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I put marvel mystery oil in a full tank of fuel about once a year. and replace a quart of oil with it when I do my oil change, (5 qts motor oil 1 qt mystery oil)

My father use to put a can of coke in the oil the day before he changed it. I guess it's true... I did drive him crazy after all.

XJ Wheeler
11-06-2013, 03:10 AM
Seafoam will work fine. Don't worry when it starts smoking, its suppose to do that.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

EricT93
11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I do a bottle of gumout fuel system cleaner every now and then, works like a charm.

KristinaU102
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
So last week when i filled up I put that Murph's Mystery Oil in. I was averaging a whopping 175 on a mostly full tank (less than a quarter remaining). This week I'm at about the same spot and topped 200. :-) I'm pretty satusfied.

cpttuna
11-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I do use seafoam and I do use MMO. I make sure I buy both when they are on sale. I change my oil more often than most people. The reason is that I believe the weak point in the oil change is the filter,not the oil. There are good oils out there, but the filter hinders what the oil can do. There is also no sense in adding new oil to a dirty filter. I love to read that people are changing their oil at longer intervals. I never ever hear one say that they had to add a quart at this mileage or that mileage. If for some reason I'm a quart low, I'm probably going to change the oil and filter not put in a new quart of oil. I treat all my vehicles like they are going to be with me for 50 years. Your position may vary. I don't think it hurts to try additives.

nickyg
11-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I treat all my vehicles like they are going to be with me for 50 years. Your position may vary. I don't think it hurts to try additives.

X2

07Negative
11-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Synthetic oil is hockus pokus. Your jeep will leak from every part it can. Additives are not needed. It's just a way to make you feel better and a way to take your money. Change your fluids & drive it. Run over a few hookers from time to time. It'll keep on truckin.

dagod16
11-17-2013, 04:13 AM
First off if your going to change your tranny fluid consider this.

If your tranny fluid is already black as a crayon then leave it. As soon as you change the fluid the tranny will no long shift correctly and you will be buying a new tranny. Just run it until it dies without changing it.

If your tranny fluid is red or brown and its 50K on that fluid then change it for sure. I go 45K on mine. I think the manual says 60K before a tranny fluid change. Now I am at 200K on my AW4 tranny but who knows how long it will last.

I also use Marvel Mystery oil in my engine oil changes. I use it about once every three changes. I just use the small bottle. I had a tiny little ticking noise and I tried it and it went away. So I use it once in a while. I also use the MM oil in my 25 year old wheel horse riding mower.

Also just once in a while go and buy a full tank of V power gas at Shell, it cleans out a lot of carbon build up on your valves. I use the V power in my jeep and my mower.

FYI.

Rob