PDA

View Full Version : 2" Budget Boost : Good Practice or Waste of Money?

BeardedBassGuy
07-03-2013, 01:36 PM
So, doing a proper lift and bigger tires is out of the equation for right now. It wasn't really in the budget, and my wife lost her job Friday.. so it's REALLY not in the budget now.

However, I'm pretty sure I need new shocks. 154k, and I am pretty sure they are OEM.

But looking at decent shocks, the prices aren't much cheaper than doing a 2" budget boost that comes with shocks.

Is it good practice to get the boost? Or just a waste of money since I plan on doing a proper lift in the future?

'96 XJ, running 235/75's right now. They rub on very few instances, but clearance is always nice.

Opinions?

4.3LXJ
07-03-2013, 01:52 PM
It is what it is. I would not head to the rocks with one, but it will work for you. If it is what you can afford, go for it

BeardedBassGuy
07-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Yeah...

I have no delusions of what a 2" budget boost is, or can do.

My question was more was it worth it to spend the extra $75 for the boost, or just get new shocks since I think I need new ones.

I am not, and will not be doing any real "wheeling" until after I get a proper lift, new axle, and bigger tires. Even then, I will use it modestly, as the vehicle is my daily driver. For now, just going through the pasture, lease roads, camping, hunting, fishing, small mud puddles etc...

Bobby G
07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
From past mistake I bought a 2 in budget lift from rustys offroad and it didn't work with the skyjacker shocks ( 1-3 ) so had to buy the shocks anyway from rustys so I learn to buy the package deal the next time ...hope this helped out !! The 2 in lift was worth it to me ..

bigjim350
07-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah its worth it. Then when you do your real lift you can always sell the budget boost. They sell pretty quickly on craigslist.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Go for it! A budget boost is just that... a small lift on a budget. Its not ideal but being broke isn't either. I would highly suggest going with one that has shackles in the rear instead of blocks. Plus if your later plans include a 3" lift, the 2" shocks may work out till you get the funds for others.

nickyg
07-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I was too busy watching the animation of your avatar that I forgot to read your question.

In my Opinion, I would wait till you have the money and just do the lift once. But I'm ultra lazy. Unless your itching to get off road. Then the budget boost is in order.
I have a 2 inch budget on mine. I feel it's not enough I would love to go higher. but I have bad knees and it's pretty comical watching me roll out of it now any higher and I'd have to have my meals sent to me.

Mudderoy
07-05-2013, 06:15 AM
I was too busy watching the animation of your avatar that I forgot to read your question.

In my Opinion, I would wait till you have the money and just do the lift once. But I'm ultra lazy. Unless your itching to get off road. Then the budget boost is in order.
I have a 2 inch budget on mine. I feel it's not enough I would love to go higher. but I have bad knees and it's pretty comical watching me roll out of it now any higher and I'd have to have my meals sent to me.

Installing a lift is a lot of work {cough} broken shock bolts {cough} and installing more than one is going to cost you money. Save up for the lift you want, and they may include a SYE. Once you have everything you need do it right.