PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found...

ArmyGuy45
07-01-2013, 01:37 PM
So back story, I was out walking my dog when he dived into a bush (very common to have rabbits here) but I heard flapping noise instead of a bunny running away. Found this little guy in the bush soaking wet from the rain. He/She cant fly and seems to handle humans pretty well. I guess some soldier here ditched it when they left. We have a lot of people leaving now that school is out. Gave the little thing a bath with some food and mangoes (man does it love mangoes). I posted a picture up on my gun forum and people are saying its an Indian Ringneck Parrot. I guess they live for up to 30 years. I guess I found me a new family pet to take home from Germany. Hopefully they can go on planes.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/photo_zps7573a4ff.jpg

bulrid8
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
That's a Quaker parrot. They roam wild in Florida. Great pets.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Brasscatz
07-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Cool find! Kudos to you for taking it in and caring for it. Give it a name yet?

ArmyGuy45
07-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Cool find! Kudos to you for taking it in and caring for it. Give it a name yet?

My wife gave it the name Charlie.

XJ Wheeler
07-02-2013, 03:30 AM
That's pretty cool. Good thing the dog didn't get it first.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
So back story, I was out walking my dog when he dived into a bush (very common to have rabbits here) but I heard flapping noise instead of a bunny running away. Found this little guy in the bush soaking wet from the rain. He/She cant fly and seems to handle humans pretty well. I guess some soldier here ditched it when they left. We have a lot of people leaving now that school is out. Gave the little thing a bath with some food and mangoes (man does it love mangoes). I posted a picture up on my gun forum and people are saying its an Indian Ringneck Parrot. I guess they live for up to 30 years. I guess I found me a new family pet to take home from Germany. Hopefully they can go on planes.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ArmyGuy1911/photo_zps7573a4ff.jpg

That's really sad. My hopes is he/she got lose. I hate the idea of people dumping pets. Especially birds as they are pretty defenseless. At least dogs and cats are scavengers.

Brasscatz
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
especially birds that can't fly... it's just wrong

ArmyGuy45
08-15-2013, 06:54 AM
So sad update. The bird didnt know how to fly so we let her out of the cage to practice flying and landing. The tail feathers grew longer and bluer, her eyes changed from black to a pretty blue... AND.... she flew away.

So I guess we just nursed her back to health so she could rejoin her flock. There is a lot of Indian Ring Neck Parrots in this area that are wild now.

BlueXJ
08-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Hope she/he was not so domesticated that a cat can't catch it for lunch.

ArmyGuy45
08-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Hope she/he was not so domesticated that a cat can't catch it for lunch.

We thought at first she was wild since she wouldnt go away near us but then for a while she would let us hold her. Towards the end she became more distance and more mean just like when we first got her. I have no idea if she is wild or not.