PDA

View Full Version : When A/C blows cold just not as cold as it used to.

Mudderoy
07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Every bit of the A/C system on my 1998 has been changed.

Okay only the bits that are the main bit that's make that blessed cold stuff that comes out of the vents.

The factory air would put out 40 degrees, sometime 39 in the middle vent. The compressor finally gave up the ghost after 13 years and it had to be replaced.

The compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, hoses, hard line (contains orifice tube) were all replaced. Vacuumed, and charged.

I get 61 to 59 degrees out of the same vent.

Last night I pulled two vacuums on it to remove and moisture that might be in the system, 61 to 59 degrees driving in today.

So here is the pressure readings prior to the work last night.

Then right after charging the system

About 5 minutes later after running the A/C on high, with a fan blowing on the condenser.

I'm at a loss. I'm really starting to think the replacement compressor just isn't as capable as the OEM Jeep compressor.

4.3LXJ
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I can't read the temps there, what are the temps on that inner scale?

Mudderoy
07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I can't read the temps there, what are the temps on that inner scale?

If you mouse over the picture it should display a much larger one.

I think that last picture is 30 and 140

4.3LXJ
07-01-2013, 09:49 AM
According to your scale, it reads about 37°. I would try to put a little more in after it settles down and see where the temps go. But another thing I would check is the blend door. It might not be going all the way shut

JeepFreak
07-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Mine has this same issue. It just doesn't blow as cold. Well I checked the freon/refrigerant levels and whadya know it's super low. I put one of the large cans in...nothing. It barely moved the needle on the pressure gauge at all. It blows somewhat colder (of course now it doesn't since the whole venting system shorted out) but I was at a loss for how many of the giant canisters I should put in. I thought one would do it but it didn't really get into the green area on the pressure scale so I was thinking it may need more. It doesn't have a leak and of this I'm sure since the levels remain relatively the same between uses (the only time the pressure changes is when it's been on for a while then off for a while). Does anyone know what might be the culprit? Once I get this thing running again I would love for it to come out damn near freezing. I have to currently run it on high everywhere I go on the "MAX" setting just to keep the air inside somewhat cold. So do I need to add more or is there a much larger issue going on here?

4.3LXJ
07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I thnk the whole system holds about 2.75 cans

We are going to do a pod cast on this stuff this Sunday. Stay tuned (hint hint)

Mudderoy
07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
After an hour drive home...

After adding a little more out of the 2nd can I used Sunday.

60 degrees on the trip to work, we'll see what it does on the way home.

4.3LXJ
07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Tony, how cold is the return line at the compressor? Got a temp probe?

Mudderoy
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Tony, how cold is the return line at the compressor? Got a temp probe?

I can hit it with the IR temp gun if that's good enough. Which is the return line though?

4.3LXJ
07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
The tube or fitting on the suction line at the compressor if possible. It should be cold enough it draws moisture out of the air like a glass of ice water does

Mudderoy
07-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Temp on the dryer

Temp on one of the evap lines

Temp on the other evap lines

Temp on the line between the dryer and the compressor

Compressor line (hoses)

Compressor line (hoses)

Mudderoy
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Update:

Ordered another hard line with orifice tube from RockAuto. Came in last week, installed it Sunday.

Charged system, 60 degrees at the vent.