PDA

View Full Version : 12v coolers.....

Dredwolf
06-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Okay, before the over landing crowd gets rowdy, I know the 12v coolers not in the same class as the real 12v refrigerators as the ARB, etc.:rolleyes: I just don't have $700+ on a tree in the back yard.

For the road trip to Colorado and Utah, all my coolers are way too large, or too small. From the space available, I can track down a specific size "5 day" cooler, but some of the 12v coolers fit the space also.

Being a electronics gadget freak, I understand the thermoelectric method these use to cool, I used it to overclock Intel and AMD CPU's years ago, the coolers are only going to drop the temps so much based on ambient air temp, and the process generates heat that has to go somewhere.

My question is that with properly pre-chilled contents, are any of the 12v coolers worth the $100+?

Carves
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Have a look at the cooling ability, below ambient, that is touted in the model specs

Ive had a couple of cheapies ... Cooled real good in winter ... Were damn useless in summer .. ;)

Example One.

4 cans of coke out of a store fridge ... One hour later on about a 90* day ... Warmish to drink - about the same as un-refridgerated store bought drinks.

Example Two.

Margarine (plastic butter ;);)) and blocks of chocolate , stored at the bottom of a large, iceless, esky ... was cooler and still firm ... compared to the same time in the 12v coolers I had purchased.

Dredwolf
06-30-2013, 10:40 PM
That was what I was thinking....I'd love to have the funds for a ARB or similar, but need tires for the trip.;)

I worked on the rear a/c of the Exploder today and got the blend doors working right, so I guess I will hit the local sporting goods stores and try to find the perfect cooler to fit the space, and rig a way to lash it down. Might could use the ARB price to talk the wife into a Yeti cooler...

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Used those when hunting with a group....work very well.