PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing MPG

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 02:40 PM
So my Jeep Cherokee Sport is only supposed to get 18 hwy and 14 city. I've done 23MPG average in it before but have no idea how. Does anyone know of any aftermarket or OEM parts that could increase my MPG? I've already puttied up the exhaust leak, changed the air and fuel filters, and don't drive more than 55 if I don't have to (save for speed limits on the freeway, 65 MPH) or roll down the windows and create drag at freeway speeds. Not sure what else I can do besides replacing the old O2 Sensors and TPS, and cleaning the throttle body. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Floridajeepcherokee
06-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Coast up to stop signs and red lights so that when the light turns you aren't stopping and judge when the light will turn green therefore eliminating stopping.

tune up?

Accelerate slowly.

Mudderoy
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
So my Jeep Cherokee Sport is only supposed to get 18 hwy and 14 city. I've done 23MPG average in it before but have no idea how. Does anyone know of any aftermarket or OEM parts that could increase my MPG? I've already puttied up the exhaust leak, changed the air and fuel filters, and don't drive more than 55 if I don't have to (save for speed limits on the freeway, 65 MPH) or roll down the windows and create drag at freeway speeds. Not sure what else I can do besides replacing the old O2 Sensors and TPS, and cleaning the throttle body. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you're getting 23 there isn't much more you can do, other than look into hypermiling. Stuff like Floridajeepcherokee said. Super slow steady acceleration, special routes to miss lights, stop signs etc... Anything over 20 mpg is gravy.

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Well I try all that and according to a couple mechanics in my town "newer cars don't need tune ups". I'm sorry I didn't know that a 20 year old car was new. Other than that I guess all I really wanna know is if there's anything mechanically I can add on aftermarket or OEM that would help to free up some miles.

Brasscatz
06-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Well, if you've ever seen MythBusters, they took a car and covered it with clay then cut half circles all over it and turned it into a golf ball surface and the gas mileage SKY ROCKETED! Lol, that would be awesome!

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure my Jeep would look good as a giant red golf ball lol

bluedragon436
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Holes drilled all over the place on the XJ would def help bring it's quite un aerodynamic shape into a better MPG range!!

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
I know these things just chunk through the air instead of flowing through it.

Brasscatz
07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure my Jeep would look good as a giant red golf ball lol

true, but it sure would be fun to take a few whacks at it with a golf club when it pisses you off! lol

JeepFreak
07-01-2013, 12:06 AM
With the tonnage of my Jeep and the straight metal she's built out of, it might hurt me more than her lol

jdougn
07-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Might try ditching the oem roof rack. The reduced drag may net an additional mpg or so. I had my spare on the roof of my DD XJ for awhile. It consistently cost me around 3 mpg.