PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Little "Shifting(?)" Problem

JeepFreak
06-29-2013, 11:46 PM
So my '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4.0L 6 Cylinder has been acting up recently. The Problem: Occasionally when I get up into Overdrive gear at around 55 MPH, the Jeep hesitates to shift as if I hadn't put in enough acceleration to get it to upshift. So what it does instead is sit at just above or on 2,000 RPM's without shifting up. When I hit 60 MPH or so it finally upshifts but then when I drop back down to 55 MPH it goes back up to revving at 2,000 RPM's or just above it. I'm not sure what the problem is. My shifting is fine otherwise, no hesitation or grinding.

I took it to a tranny shop and they said the fluid was not burnt, didn't smell and wasn't all messed up inside the pan. From what they could tell without taking it apart, the tranny was in great shape. Now I should say that the people that owned the car before me had only emptied and refilled the tranny but never had it serviced (cleaning out the pan, filter and fluid) in its 20 years of existence (the manufacturer's glue was still unbroken). What I have heard of Jeeps doing when they can't find a gear is something called "Hunting". I'm not sure if anyone else has heard this but I hear it could be because the car doesn't know when it should shift because it can't detect the amount of oxygen in the fuel mixture, and thus doesn't know how much power it is actually putting out.

This would make sense since the 2 oxygen sensors in it have NEVER been changed in 20 years. I am going to replace them soon as well as the throttle position switch. Question is: has anyone ever had a similar problem and how did you fix it? What was the cause? Have you ever heard of other Jeeps "hunting" or has yours done it before? Any help no matter how big would be appreciated.

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Hi Andrew. Just to explain what I told you at the yard, the O2 sensor not being fresh is causing you push the accelerator to the floor and causing the tranny to shift into lockup at a higher RPM. Others can chyme in. But bear in mind that the Jeep is going up hill when this happens

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Yep just wanted to be sure is all :) Thanks for your help by the way. Will this affect how the catalytic converter performs as well? I'd like to pass smog in the near future.

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 12:32 AM
The only side effect for the cat would be if the rich mixture caused the cat to plug up. But it is something you should fix soon

bigjim350
06-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Mine has the same shifting problem. On mine its the throttle position sensor going out.

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 12:36 AM
It should hopefully be done by July 8th. I don't want to go any further than that. If I could only replace one at a time though, should I replace the one behind the engine block first or the one near the cat? And if the cat was being affected what would be some warning signs if any?

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Behind the engine

XJ Wheeler
07-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Be sure to check out Ebay and Amazon for a quality O2 sensor, sometimes you can get them less expensive on there. My brother got a Bosch on Ebay for about half of anyone else. Its something you definitely don't want to cheap out on, but if you can get the same quality one much cheaper... well that's just the icing on the cake. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

JeepFreak
07-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I'll have to check them out. I never thought about going through Ebay or an online retailer. I'll do that tonight. On a side note, I heard that Bosch was crap compared to other brands. Is there something I should know about them?

XJ Wheeler
07-02-2013, 04:28 AM
I'll have to check them out. I never thought about going through Ebay or an online retailer. I'll do that tonight. On a side note, I heard that Bosch was crap compared to other brands. Is there something I should know about them?

Bosch is good, the factory used them.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

JeepFreak
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Well then I guess I better keep it as close to factory as possible. I'll be sure to pick up some new Bosch's the next time I go to Autozone.