PDA

View Full Version : New Audio System Speaker Installation/Removal

JeepFreak
06-29-2013, 01:28 PM
So I've been thinking about replacing all of my stock stereo speakers with brand new ones in my '94 Cherokee Sport but the problem is...I have NEVER done this before! I don't even know what the specs are of the current speakers or what the new ones should be! My speakers sound terrible now since they are almost 20 years old so I want to replace them. Does anyone have any ideas on what brand of speakers to put in that are cheap but good quality? And how do I figure out the specs? I have speakers in the roof above the trunk floor that I want to also replace but I don't know how to remove those either. The stereo is brand new and isn't stock but the speakers need to be able to withstand some serious bass. Anyone got any ideas? Specs, brand, installation/removal? Thanks!

bluedragon436
06-29-2013, 01:37 PM
According to Crutchfield.com your speaker size should be a 5 1/4" speaker for both the front and the rear speakers... I know I was able to run 6.5" speakers in both of my stock locations even though everything said it was 5 1/4 size... I know I have installed 6.5" speakers in my friend's 95 XJ.. I have always been a fan of Pioneer and Kenwood speakers, and am currently running 3 way 6.5" speakers in my XJ.. Lately I have started looking at the Alpine speakers more, as they seem to sound better, and I have heard some that were setup on a system in a XJ with a small amp on them and they sounded really nice, so should be fine with a stock or aftermarket head unit in your XJ... It is really pretty easy to remove the old units and install new units.. if you go through Crutchfield, you can even pick up some adapters from them that will allow you to plug your new speakers into the old wiring harness, if you are not one for doing wiring in the Jeep itself...

JeepFreak
06-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I have heard Alpine was good. I just wasn't sure how much it would run me for my Jeep. All 4 speakers can be 6.5 inches though? Seems better to have them larger because they can take a bit more punishment and sound better than the 5 1/4 right? And I will be doing everything myself since I am a DIY guy and I trust my work more than an audio store just because I know what I did to it. Now as for the old harness, would the new speakers just not be compatible without an adapter? Since I've never done this I would like to do it right the first time.

Brasscatz
06-29-2013, 10:58 PM
I replaced mine with the Sony Xplod 4 Way speakers from Walmart. they are pretty good but I got the stock size and should have gone with a six and a half inch . To remove the front speakers you have to take off the door panels, to remove the rear speakers on the speaker bar you have to remove the trim pieces, you also have to remove the dome light cover and carefully remove the little pin holders

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

JeepFreak
06-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I replaced mine with the Sony Xplod 4 Way speakers from Walmart. they are pretty good but I got the stock size and should have gone with a six and a half inch . To remove the front speakers you have to take off the door panels, to remove the rear speakers on the speaker bar you have to remove the trim pieces, you also have to remove the dome light cover and carefully remove the little pin holders

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

So taking the front door panel off would require me to remove the actuator bars right? I had to do it for my back window (the switches are malfunctioning so I had to get the door panel off to check the motor) and in order to get the panel off I had to remove the actuator pin that held the locking mechanism to the "lock/unlock" switch in the backseat. And when I say switch I mean just the thing that moves when it's locked or unlocked that says "Lock". I hated taking it off the back so if there's an easier way PLEASE feel free to tell me.

4.3LXJ
06-29-2013, 11:34 PM
No easier way. You have to do what you have to do

JeepFreak
06-29-2013, 11:59 PM
No easier way. You have to do what you have to do

Well I guess I better get to it then lol Gonna suck to have to remove the front 2 panels but I guess I can do it one at a time so as not to tear my whole Jeep apart. Is there any speakers you would recommend that can take some punishment especially since I do quite a bit of off roading? I'd rather they not break loose or something while I'm mudding.

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I currently have Pioneer 6.5" speakers in the front that have been there and still going strong after 10 years

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 12:33 AM
I'll take a look at some Pioneer ones as well when I head to Walmart and AutoZone. Not really looking forward to pulling apart the door in this heat but I gotta get this done cause these speakers sound royally reverbed and it makes listening to a song with any bass just a terrible racket. I'm not sure how to remove the pins in the door though that hold the locks in place as well as the door handle. I only got the back door one off by sheer luck. This time I'd like to do it right without the possibility of damaging the actuator arms. Is there a special tool I would need and if there is where would I be able to get it?

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Later today I will have pics posted in the How To section on power windows that will show you how to take the panel off and access the speaker

Brasscatz
06-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Yeah, the panels aren't really too hard to remove. With the window and lock arms, there is that clip and you just turn it to the side and pull the rod out of it. May take a little finger strength, but not a hard job. Don't worry buddy, we'll get you fixed up :thumbsup:

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Well that's good cause the last time I opened the panel I could not for the life of me get the thing to let go of the arms. I had to give it quite a bit of pressure for it to release since the panels probably haven't been removed since it was made. Still trying to get my window fixed though. The guy at AutoZone said that the reason the window wasn't rolling down is because the back right and front driver side switches aren't working anymore. So I replaced the back one to no avail yet I know the switches work because I tried over 10 of them and there's no way they don't all work. I'm not sure how much merit there is to this but I've heard that both switches need to be working in order for the window to function properly. Do you know if this is true?

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 10:16 AM
This is where a test light is your friend. With the switches hooked up you should see power from one wire or the other to the motor when you operate the switch. If you do, then it is the motor. I will have mine done shortly and will post pics later.

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 11:08 AM
This is where a test light is your friend. With the switches hooked up you should see power from one wire or the other to the motor when you operate the switch. If you do, then it is the motor. I will have mine done shortly and will post pics later.

I actually tested it without a test light. The window would roll down but not back up so I switched the pos/neg leads into the motor and it would then roll up (by pushing down) but not back down. Not sure exactly what that means but I would think the motor is fine since it rolled down and up by switching the leads.

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 11:36 AM
OK, switch then assuming you made good contact with the plug backwards

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 02:17 PM
If it is the switch do both switches have to work on the master driver side door AND the back right door? I heard that somewhere and if that's the case I might just buy the master switch brand new since P n P has only used ones that I'm not even sure work not to mention they don't match my car.