PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Holder?

BeardedBassGuy
06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Taking my "new" XJ to my buddy's body shop next week for a complete face-lift... A new panel, new hood, various dent removal, and a fresh coat of custom paint.
Body wise, everything is remaining stock... for now ;)

The problem is Texas, as great as she is, has stupid laws sometimes.Like the law requiring a front license plate.

My XJ doesn't have a holder on the factory bumper, and a custom bumper is out of the equation (for now) because of funds.Anyone know of a aftermarket piece that I can get for cheap, or a simple fab job that won't be fugly?

bigjim350
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I just screwed my plate to the bumper using self tapping screws.

silver_xj
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I need one too. I just zip tied my plate to the grill for now. Ive also driven for a long time with a plate between the dash and a pillar got tired of it falling so used the zip ties...

BeardedBassGuy
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I had thought of both those ideas...mine is currently on the dash...

But the screws aren't very "clean" looking, and with the new body work and paint, I wanted it to look nice... at least for a while.

The zip ties on the grill worried me, I wasn't sure if it effected airflow at all to the radiator.

bigjim350
06-28-2013, 09:11 PM
plate on the dash will get you pulled over eventually. They wont write a ticket for it on most cases, but it gives them a reason to pull you over and look for another reason to give you a ticket.

BeardedBassGuy
06-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Yea, that's why I know while it's in the shop I need to fix it.

I pass 1-5 cops a day easily on the way to work. I drive right buy the police station. No stops so far in 2 weeks of having the XJ, but I know it's a matter of time.

Brasscatz
06-28-2013, 09:49 PM
The shop I used to work at always referred people to O'Reilly's to get a cheap universal front plate holder. They worked well and looked just fine. By the way... what part of Texas are you in? I'm from Ft. Worth, but currently live in Houston.

msmoorenburg
06-28-2013, 09:55 PM
What part of Texas are you in I may have a extra factory bracket laying around

BeardedBassGuy
06-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm in Longview.

2hrs east of DFW, 1hr west of Shreveport straight down I-20.

Brasscatz
06-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Cool, if you visit the Papasita's, tell Mr. Hampton I said hi. I used to work for one of his restaurants in Ft. Worth. You're also not too far away from one of our members, he lives in Tyler. Denverd1 I think

BeardedBassGuy
06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Haha, I don't frequent Papacita's much, but if I go , I will say hi.

And I hope to meet some people. I would really like to get involved with some folks that know what is going on! I'm so clueless right now about this whole owning an XJ thing, but I have learned a LOT in just a couple of weeks.

Hopefully I will make up my mind on a build in the year or more it will take for me to get the funds :D

XJ Wheeler
06-29-2013, 01:47 AM
It would be super easy to make one, from steel or even aluminum. Just make a template the size of the plate, with a little extra on the bottom to bend under the bumper for mounting. Cut it out in metal and add a couple holes for mounting.

Btw, you have some great wheeling near by in Gilmer. A place called Barnwell.

Mudderoy
06-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Taking my "new" XJ to my buddy's body shop next week for a complete face-lift... A new panel, new hood, various dent removal, and a fresh coat of custom paint.
Body wise, everything is remaining stock... for now ;)

The problem is Texas, as great as she is, has stupid laws sometimes.Like the law requiring a front license plate.

My XJ doesn't have a holder on the factory bumper, and a custom bumper is out of the equation (for now) because of funds.Anyone know of a aftermarket piece that I can get for cheap, or a simple fab job that won't be fugly?

There were a rash of bank robberies where the perps were backing away at high speed, hence the need for front license plates. :smiley-laughing021:

BeardedBassGuy
06-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Btw, you have some great wheeling near by in Gilmer. A place called Barnwell.

I have heard about that place. I don't know if they have trails for my stock XJ though. Plus, no-one I know is into wheeling, so I have no buddies to teach me the ropes. I will learn one day though!

There were a rash of bank robberies where the perps were backing away at high speed, hence the need for front license plates. :smiley-laughing021:

hahaha That explains everything.

XJ Wheeler
06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
I have heard about that place. I don't know if they have trails for my stock XJ though. Plus, no-one I know is into wheeling, so I have no buddies to teach me the ropes. I will learn one day though!

We've been there in my brothers '90 xj and it only had a 3" with 31" tires. Oh and rock rails. There's a range of stuff for ya there.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

BeardedBassGuy
06-29-2013, 10:55 PM
I wish I had at least 3" and 30's :D
Rolling on 235/75/r15's and stock suspension.

A lift is still a ways out for me. The wife and I are trying to get out of debt and buy a house!

I may roll out there one weekend just to see what's out there...

I did get to go "wheelin" today. Mostly just lease roads, overgrown pastures, and some woods on old family land. First time I have really been off road in her. The wife and I had fun, look forward to more.

XJ Wheeler
06-30-2013, 12:00 AM

A lift is still a ways out for me. The wife and I are trying to get out of debt and buy a house!

I did get to go "wheelin" today. Mostly just lease roads, overgrown pastures, and some woods on old family land. First time I have really been off road in her. The wife and I had fun, look forward to more.

Keep in mind there are cheap ways to lift as well, at least for a couple inches. And at 2-3" those 235s wouldn't be too small either. Just some thoughts for ya. :D

Plus these jeeps are surprisingly capable out of the box.

Mudderoy
06-30-2013, 02:16 AM

After the 3" lift install last weekend 3" on 30" is what my daughters are driving around in now.

Jeeplover88
06-30-2013, 04:54 AM
After the 3" lift install last weekend 3" on 30" is what my daughters are driving around in now.

Those XJ's look great! Did you do the. 3" lift on both? This is what I'm aiming for this summer, 3" with 30" or 31", I'm still looking for a good 'kit' to purchase. Tips? Advise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Zone has a good kit for a good price. Make sure whatever kit you get has full leaf springs instead of an add a leaf for the rear

JeepFreak
06-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I was thinking of doing a lift kit but didn't know where to start partially for lack of funds and knowledge on what to do. I've always been worried about MPG as well after the fact because my Cherokee gets 18 hwy/14 city max and I have to commute with it. It would be great to have it lifted because of the clearance and the ability to do some more off the beaten path wheeling. Just didn't want to hamper my mileage too much. Any suggestions?

Mudderoy
06-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Those XJ's look great! Did you do the. 3" lift on both? This is what I'm aiming for this summer, 3" with 30" or 31", I'm still looking for a good 'kit' to purchase. Tips? Advise?

lol no. The bright read one (the 98) is a 6.5" lift. Sad isn't it? I'm sure the 3" lift is going to settle a bit but if you look careful you can see about 3 inches difference between the two.

The 98 has 33x12.5x15 tires on 10x15 wheels.

Jeeplover88
06-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Zone has a good kit for a good price. Make sure whatever kit you get has full leaf springs instead of an add a leaf for the rear

Definitely has to be new full set of rear leafs. I was thinking of building a "bastard pack" and buying all the other components separately. However, being the OCD architect that I am, I'm leaning more towards a complete kit to have a uniform build.

Jeeplover88
06-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Roy,
I think it was the angle that makes them look a little even. Regardless, they look great. Gives me hope to fix up my little XJ. :-)

4.3LXJ
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Definitely has to be new full set of rear leafs. I was thinking of building a "bastard pack" and buying all the other components separately. However, being the OCD architect that I am, I'm leaning more towards a complete kit to have a uniform build.

Sandy, bastard packs are not bad with the typical 3" S10 bastard pack. A decent way to go. But you will need to source some YJ brake lines for the rear. I did my first 3" lift on the XJ with Rancho coils and shocks and add a leaf that turned into a bastard pack. Didn't like the Rancho shocks. Monroe Sensatraks for a JK for the front will work better and you can do a little work with some bar pin eliminators to get some to fit the rear and have a really nice ride

cpttuna
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I had to fabricate my own holders. I must say that I did not make two alike. I had access to scrap stainless and a welder so I made them out of stainless.

JeepFreak
07-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Still looks good. I probably would have made it a little closer to the bumper though.

Mudderoy
07-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Well I just happened to have a conversation with a co-worker today and she said her son "read" the law to a Texas cop that pulled him over for no front license plate.

The law, the son said, passed in 2010 and no longer required vehicles in Texas to run a front license plate.

I was excited to hear this so I looked it up.

WRONG! But here is some interesting news...

We can technically stop for it, but there is no punishment anymore. During the last legislative update they removed the punishment on some oversight. Our DA/Courts won't take it and our Sgt's won't approve arrests stemming from that as the PC for stop.

We're not allowed to pull vehicles over based on this offense.

Our city/county put it into effect when the bill came out, why you may ask? I stopped asking that a long time ago.... haha

As soon as we received legal up for 2012-2013 we were advised not to stop for it. Not good PC for a stop...

No I don't anymore. It used to be one of my favorite stops. :(

:link: (http://forums.officer.com/t186936/)

So according to this, it is still a requirement, there is NO punishment if you don't have a front license plate, and officers are being told they cannot initiate a stop for a missing front plate. :bacondance:

cpttuna
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
If you check out cpttuna's mods on this website,you will find another front license plate holder I made. I extended that one out to both sides so I could mount driving lights without making holes in the bumper.

reddragon72
07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm in a car club for my Chevy Cobalt. We go on a cruise down to Surfside via 288 then over to Galviston along the coast. 7 of us were pulled over in Freeport for no front plate. 3 of them had it in the dash and still received a ticket for it. We were not speeding nor being stupid just a group of cars with no front plates.

So I ignored the ticket since I to read that there is no punishment. Well I received a few letters with fines reaching 375 bucks.

I did not pay the fines and it turned into a warrant. I took care of it the same day after calling the courthouse and cleared it up VIA a 10 dollar check and pics of the plate installed and overnighted it to the courthouse.

So if you think that there is no punishment for this law think again because you can get into big trouble!

PS they listed it under a misdemeanor to be able to write it up.

Mudderoy
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm in a car club for my Chevy Cobalt. We go on a cruise down to Surfside via 288 then over to Galviston along the coast. 7 of us were pulled over in Freeport for no front plate. 3 of them had it in the dash and still received a ticket for it. We were not speeding nor being stupid just a group of cars with no front plates.

So I ignored the ticket since I to read that there is no punishment. Well I received a few letters with fines reaching 375 bucks.

I did not pay the fines and it turned into a warrant. I took care of it the same day after calling the courthouse and cleared it up VIA a 10 dollar check and pics of the plate installed and overnighted it to the courthouse.

So if you think that there is no punishment for this law think again because you can get into big trouble!

PS they listed it under a misdemeanor to be able to write it up.

I thought I read the official start of the no punishment law was September 2013.

Update: Okay I just went back and read my post. Yeah I didn't include that in my post. I believe the official change of the law is September 2013, but verify it for yourself.

Brasscatz
07-16-2013, 09:01 AM
I think it's always better safe than sorry. Good to have that front plate on there :D

Now on another note that's somewhat related because it deals with Texas State Law and State Inspection... apparently the maximum darkness of window tint allowed on your front windows is now 25% instead of 20%. I heard this from a dealership, so feel free to double check before you take my word for it though

BlueXJ
07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
I had my front plate attached to my roofrack and was stopped by DPS and told to change the location right then or receive a ticket. So I relocated it to my front bumper by loosening the roller fairlead and pinching the tag between the fairlead and the homemade bumper.

Mudderoy
07-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Here it is...

I read the bill and noted that it doesn't take effect until September, 2013. I am speculating that after that date you cannot effect a vehicle stop for no front license plate, correct?

We can technically stop for it, but there is no punishment anymore. During the last legislative update they removed the punishment on some oversight. Our DA/Courts won't take it and our Sgt's won't approve arrests stemming from that as the PC for stop.

Starting September 1st, 2013 only one rear plate will be issued.

83R4379 VOO-D

By: Lavender H.B. No. 657

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT

relating to the number of license plates to be issued for and
displayed on motor vehicles.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter A, Chapter 504, Transportation Code,
is amended by adding Section 504.011 to read as follows:
Sec. 504.011. ISSUANCE AND DISPLAY OF LICENSE PLATE. (a)
Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, the
department shall issue only one license plate for attachment at the
rear of the vehicle for which the plate is issued.
(b) Notwithstanding anything in this code to the contrary, a
person is entitled to operate on a public highway a vehicle that
displays only one license plate if the plate is attached at the rear
of the vehicle. A person may operate on a public highway a vehicle
that displays two license plates if both plates were assigned by the
department for the registration period as a set of plates.
(c) In any provision of this code that relates to the
issuance or display of "license plates," "plates," or a "set of
plates," the term means only one license plate.
SECTION 2. Section 504.943, Transportation Code, is amended
by amending Subsection (b) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
follows:
(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a
public highway during a registration period a passenger car, light
truck, road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does
not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the
period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the
placement of license plates.
(e) In this section, "light truck" and "passenger car" have
the meanings assigned by Section 541.201.
SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act regarding the
issuance of license plates by the Texas Department of Motor
Vehicles applies only to the issuance of license plates by the
department for a registration period beginning on or after the
effective date of this Act.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

:link: (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/DocViewer.aspx?K2DocKey=odbc%3a%2f%2fTLO%2fTLO.dbo .vwCurrBillDocs%2f83%2fR%2fH%2fB%2f00657%2f1%2fB%4 0TloCurrBillDocs&QueryText=License+plates&HighlightType=1)

reddragon72
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Here it is...

:link: (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/DocViewer.aspx?K2DocKey=odbc%3a%2f%2fTLO%2fTLO.dbo .vwCurrBillDocs%2f83%2fR%2fH%2fB%2f00657%2f1%2fB%4 0TloCurrBillDocs&QueryText=License+plates&HighlightType=1)

That's cool but the catch 22 is who gets issued only one plate? How do you return or get issued a new set/one?

So the way this is wrote is if your were issued two plates you'd better be wearing them both in their proper places.

Mudderoy
07-17-2013, 01:47 AM
That's cool but the catch 22 is who gets issued only one plate? How do you return or get issued a new set/one?

So the way this is wrote is if your were issued two plates you'd better be wearing them both in their proper places.

Oh the way I read this and I'm reading between the lines, is a cop EVER going to pull you over for only one plate? Is it going to show up on their screen that you were issued 1 or 2 plates? In other words as soon as the first SINGLE plate goes out it could be ANYONE, or EVERYONE as far as they know.

Personally, I can just order new Amateur radio operator plates. :P

TimmyTXJ
07-17-2013, 08:21 AM

That's how I read it. While it's true that you're not likely to be pulled over specifically for only running one plate you're still at risk if you're pulled over for anything else. I'd imagine when they take your license and registration it would be pretty evident pretty quick if you should be running one plate or two. Another caveat might be that if you're running the old "ugly plate" like I am and not the new white & black one that it'd be easy to tell from a distance that they were issued prior to Sept. 2013.

reddragon72
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Like Timmy said they will know due to plates but even more so is by the sticker date and date issuance. The system the cops use is pretty detailed and I have seen several people get 500+ dollar tickets and plates confiscated because they went to a sign shop and had those black and white star plates made. The system shows if you are paying that extra 130 a year for that stupid custom plate.

As for getting pulled over I ran for almost a year without one hitch and even drove buy several state troupers and nothing. But that day, which was labor day, the cops were out for anyone and everyone and when 20+ cars, all the same make and model, go rolling by the cops take notice. They did only get 7 of use and there were more without plates. The funny thing was is a terantial downpour happened and the cop was soked!! LOL all for a front plate ticket :smiley-laughing021:

prerunner1982
07-17-2013, 05:20 PM

If a new plate design is being issued then as mentioned they could likely tell if you are suppose to have two plates based on the design of the plate you have. As far as how to get issued a new set, yours have to be 7yrs old first from what I read on the TXDMV website.

When they issued new plates here (oklahoma), you got them when you renewed your registration.

XJ Wheeler
07-17-2013, 06:23 PM
If a new plate design is being issued then as mentioned they could likely tell if you are suppose to have two plates based on the design of the plate you have. As far as how to get issued a new set, yours have to be 7yrs old first from what I read on the TXDMV website.

When they issued new plates here (oklahoma), you got them when you renewed your registration.

They sent me new plates after five years of having my old ones, i liked my old ones. :(

BeardedBassGuy
07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Got pulled over this morning on the way to work by DPS :rolleye0012:

Let off with a warning, as I told him I just got it back from the paint job ;)

He didn't act like he was going to give me s ticket anyway, but he seemed like he was checking for other infractions...

Guess I will be finding some self tapping screws!

Mudderoy
07-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Got pulled over this morning on the way to work by DPS :rolleye0012:

Let off with a warning, as I told him I just got it back from the paint job ;)

He didn't act like he was going to give me s ticket anyway, but he seemed like he was checking for other infractions...

Guess I will be finding some self tapping screws!

Did you ask him about the September 1st thing?

BeardedBassGuy
07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Did you ask him about the September 1st thing?

I was going to, but he didn't seem very talkative. I didn't want to press my luck since I was only getting a warning as well :D

Mudderoy
07-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I was going to, but he didn't seem very talkative. I didn't want to press my luck since I was only getting a warning as well :D

Don't blame ya. Just asked, just in case you forgot to mention it.

bigjim350
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Ive talked to alot of cops at work. They have all mentioned the new regulations that take affect in sep. They also think that it was a legislative screw up and that it will be reversed the next legislative session next year.