PDA

View Full Version : Distibtuer helppppp :/

buzzy2x
06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
okay im having troubles with my 87 xj getting no spark. i checked all the relays and bought a new coil and cps. cant figure it out and its got the best of me! so iv been reading online about 1 wire set ups that do away with the external coil and cps sencors and all that just bam run a 12 volt wore to it and you got spark. So my question is has anyone tried this with a fuel injection modle? becuase all the right ups i find is on carbuteated. please help....

Mudderoy
06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
okay im having troubles with my 87 xj getting no spark. i checked all the relays and bought a new coil and cps. cant figure it out and its got the best of me! so iv been reading online about 1 wire set ups that do away with the external coil and cps sencors and all that just bam run a 12 volt wore to it and you got spark. So my question is has anyone tried this with a fuel injection modle? becuase all the right ups i find is on carbuteated. please help....

I don't think the fuel injection has a change in hell of working without the ECU controlling the injectors, and for that to happen it needs the CPS and CKS signals.

Now I only know about 1998 and 1999 XJ's HO motors. May not apply to your 87.

Does the 1987 distributor have a CKS sensor in it?

buzzy2x
06-26-2013, 12:49 PM
cks sencor?

NW99XJ
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
CranKshaft position Sensor

This video shows locations and replacement of this (and a CPS) on a 2001 XJ
Jeep Cherokee camshaft crankshaft sensor how to replace - YouTube

4.3LXJ
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
The CKS is a term for the cam position sensor, which is what signals the coil to fire. It has to be working as well as the CPS to get the distributor to work correctly

NW99XJ
06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Also....
There is what is called an ASR or Automatic Shutdown Relay on the Passender side fender by the battery on SOME XJ's..... I cant for the life of me remember exactly what years these were on....
But basically power supplied to the fuel pump, ignition coil, fuel injectors, and parts of the power control module is controlled through this Automatic Shutdown Relay (ASD); the idea is to shut off fuel pressure and the ignition systems when the key is turned off to prevent fires, dieseling, and other problems.
The ASD relay is closed (allowing power to flow through it) when the ignition is first turned on. If the signal from the ignition reference is lost while the engine is running, power is cut to the ASD, which in turn removes power from the fuel pump, ignition coil, injectors and those parts of the power module. This causes the engine to shut down.
Look around, and see if you have this relay on the fender by the battery, if so, you may want to start probing with a test light.
Here's a couple wiring diagrams that will help you along the way:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members/lucknuts-57470/albums/1993-cherokee-sport/70578-93-jeep-cherokee-asd-relay.jpg

Both of these (I think) are for a 93 XJ..... should be close enough to at least help you out in troubleshooting the issue.
https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/xj701380.gif

Good luck man, hope this helps!

buzzy2x
06-26-2013, 04:34 PM
thanks. i dont think its the (Asd) like you mentioned becuase the fuel pump still turns on you can hear it. just gets no spark. i replaced the cks and coil. im going to try and swap the distibuter out tomarro with one that i know is good to try that. any other info is and idea's id appreciate thanks.