PDA

View Full Version : Manual locking hubs upgrade?

nolimitnick
06-24-2013, 07:52 AM
I did some searching but couldn't find any post. I am considering a locking hub conversion and want to know if anyone has done it and how much it helps gas mileage. Is it worth the money and which kit is the best value. I'm not rich so i want stay as cheap as possible but i don't want the crappy parts either.

4.3LXJ
06-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Nick, the savings in gas milage are negligible. You are looking at a mile or less to the gallon. So paying for the parts is going to take a long time with savings. Kits are expensive, about a grand last time I checked. It uses mostly Bronco II D30 parts. So if you can find them cheap in a wrecking yard, go for it. But in my book it is not worth it

Mudderoy
06-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I did some searching but couldn't find any post. I am considering a locking hub conversion and want to know if anyone has done it and how much it helps gas mileage. Is it worth the money and which kit is the best value. I'm not rich so i want stay as cheap as possible but i don't want the crappy parts either.

Yep, yep, what Steve said. No MPG improvements at least none you'll notice. I'd like to have it on my 98 simply to improve the strength and the ability to maintain the wheel hubs. Replacing the wheel bearing assemblies is easy enough, but if it strands you on the side of the road.... Still I can get 10 pairs of Timken bearings for the cost of the lockout hubs kit.

nolimitnick
06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I need to replace my hubs which will give me a little better mileage due to being worn out. Just wanted to know if it was worth it. Since I don't do a lot of off-roading I will just get regular hubs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gary63
06-24-2013, 06:10 PM
some people have reported getting low mpg right after changing the hubs then it gets alittle better after some mile on the new hubs.

LizardRunner
06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Lock out hubs just empty your wallet and make you get in and out of your jeep every time you want to go to 4WD. I've never seen any advantages to having them from guys I know that do.

4.3LXJ
06-25-2013, 11:00 AM
There is one other disadvantage never talked about with them. If you never use 4WD for a couple of years, the driveline splines will wear on the down side and cause a driveline wobble and vibration when you do. So you need to make sure you rotate that shaft once in awhile anyway. Might as well not have them.

bluedragon436
06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I think I'll stick that money into other wanted/needed items on the XJ... I had thought about looking into them when I first started modding, until I spent time around folks that do and don't have them... and talked to them about the pros and cons of going both ways on that... (and both ways only on the lockout hubs)..

4.3LXJ
06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Now having said all that, if I could have real old school D30 spindles and hubs I would do it in a heart beat. Why? Those are so much stronger than our unit bearings and will take the punishment of a 37" tire with no problem. But I have yet to confirm you can put the old knuckle on the new Cs

Carves
06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Had 'em on dozens of Toyotas and stuff ....

Getting out to lock 'em in can be a pain sometimes ... but no different to the time lost - airing down / letting diffs cool before water crossings / whatever ... at the start of a track.

Front end felt better whilst highway driving ... with 'em dis-engaged ... but then - most anything made an ol 40series tojo, feel better on the highway .. :D:D

They do help MPG ... but its negligible - unless you're doing plenty of long distance, touring miles ... and Im talking 30gal diesel tanks of non-stop, long distance .. ;);)

Like most fuel saver "gimmicks" ... they won't do squat, for city driving or stop/start freeway, mpg.

To get the things on a XJ / TJ is a job and a half tho ... and way expensive compared to an old toyota ... so not worth the effort IMHO.

LizardRunner
06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
I'll stick to my Ox Lockers, with the quadra track the red lizard has, they work great for my needs. Now if I should ever come across a 1960's CJ, I would make sure it had them from the get go, I had a buddy with one and we went places in it that were tough to trek on foot.

01xjcny
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
My xj came with the mile marker lock outs have not notice any fuel savings and dont think i would have bought them but will keep it since i already have it