PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding brake lines.

markoxj
06-23-2013, 05:04 PM
So the other day as i was pulling away from the pump I lost my brakes, the culpurate was the front left line. rusted out.
So today I replaced the line and now im ready to bleed them out.

Do i have to do all four or just the front??

any tips and of how to do it will be very helpful!!

I will have someone else help me do it too, just need to know how to the right way!

4.3LXJ
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
You will only have to bleed the front. After replacing the line, assuming you can get your bleeder to unscrew (sounds like you are in the rust belt) fill the master cylinder with brake fluid and put your finger over the end of the loosened bleeder. Tell your buddy to push down on the brake pedal. Release your finger and a little air will escape. Put your finger over the end of the bleeder and tell your buddy to let up on the pedal. Repeat until you get fluid without air bubbles out of the bleeder. Tighten and repeat on the other side until you get fluid without air. Make sure the reservoir does not go dry or you will have to start over.

silver_xj
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I would spend the extra few min and do all of them. But, its not required since only your front line broke.

prerunner1982
06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
What I typically due to bleed the brakes by myself is to connect a hose to the bleeder valve, run the hose into a cup with some brake fluid in it. At least enough to cover the hose, but a little more just to make sure. Loosen the bleeder, slowly pump the brakes 3-4 times. You should see that fluid has been added to the cup and it is likely a dark color. Tighten bleeder and move to the next one. If you are doing all 4 do the passenger rear, then drivers rear, then passenger front and then driver's front.

If the fluid is really dirty it would be good to have the system flushed, but this method works to at least bleed them..

XJ Wheeler
06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
What I typically due to bleed the brakes by myself is to connect a hose to the bleeder valve, run the hose into a cup with some brake fluid in it. At least enough to cover the hose, but a little more just to make sure. Loosen the bleeder, slowly pump the brakes 3-4 times. You should see that fluid has been added to the cup and it is likely a dark color. Tighten bleeder and move to the next one. If you are doing all 4 do the passenger rear, then drivers rear, then passenger front and then driver's front.

If the fluid is really dirty it would be good to have the system flushed, but this method works to at least bleed them..

That's how i do it, except one loosening the bleeder after the other pumping the brakes and holding the pedal down. Then tighten the bleeder BEFORE they release the pedal.

Carves
06-24-2013, 07:22 PM
.... I will have someone else help me do it ....

In that case .... combine all the above info and do it easy.

Tube on the bleeder, and into a bottle,

Helper, pushes pedal down,

You, release and tighten bleeder,

Helper, lets pedal up - and pushes it down again ...

You, release and tighten bleeder.

Keep doing it until there is no air in the fluid.

Don't forget to keep the reservoir full.

.... If you don't use a bleeder tube ... Make sure you clean all the sprayed brake fluid off everything.

Tis one of lifes, crappy little tasks ... :D

XJ Wheeler
06-24-2013, 07:26 PM
And keep in mind, brake fluid eats paint.

markoxj
06-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks all for the great advice!! well Ive got some good news and bad news. good news is that I got the brake line replaced, bad news is that the adapter peice from the brake line to the abs pump was a different thread, therefore causing a leak at the top of the pump where the new brake line entered.

So my threads in that aluminum block are stripped.. bigger than the original -_-
So now im looking at replacing the whole abs pump, junkyard find might be good enough?

Will any xj years, (abs pumps) fit into my 2001 xj? I know I could re-thread, but i've heard that doesnt always work. and I feel that might not work.....

any suggestions?

prerunner1982
06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Take the ABS out all together.... :)

But now we know you have a Dana 35 rear axle.

Mountain Goat
06-25-2013, 03:36 AM
But now we know you have a Dana 35 rear axle.

Maybe leather seats and an overhead console too ;)

89Laredo
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Get rid of the abs.
I gravity bleed my brakes.

markoxj
06-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know about 2001 jeep cherokee xjs abs pump module?
I went to the junk yard and asked for one, but they said that 2001 was a year that the abs module is different from any other year..

anyone have experience about this, or changing them?