PDA

View Full Version : NP231 Transfer Xfer case problems

Sampson39
06-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, a quick question about my transfer case. When i shift into 4hi, and start moving (about when i get to 25mph) i start to hear a light to mild knocking noise and almost like little rocks bouncing around inside a tin can. Im not sure if that means my chain is warped, broken, impaired, ect. Or if i just need to add some ATF and the "little rocks inside a tin can" noise means theres just gravel or something bouncing around inside the case. It is a '95 and I am not the first owner. So any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
06-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the chain is stretched. Which tcase do you have. There is a tag on the back with some numbers on it that will identify the gear ratio of 2.72 and identify your case as a 231 or 242. Also, check your driveline U joints for wear and signs of red dust around the caps

Sampson39
06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
not 100% on what case it is. its night time and ill be damned if i can find a flashlight right now to check. All i know is everything for the most part is stock. thanks brother.

XJ Wheeler
06-22-2013, 09:43 PM
not 100% on what case it is. its night time and ill be damned if i can find a flashlight right now to check. All i know is everything for the most part is stock. thanks brother.

You can also look at the transfer case shifter bezel for the notation "full time". If it says that you have the 242, if not it would be the 231.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Sampson39
06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
then i have the 231

4.3LXJ
06-22-2013, 10:20 PM
In that case Sam when you get the chance, check out all those U joints in the front. If you eliminate them, then it is likely you have a stretched chain. Used tcases are cheap or you can repair your own. You will need to replace both the chain and sprockets if you do and is a good opportunity to add a slip yoke eliminator if that is in your future with a lift kit. You have to take it apart to the same level for both

Sampson39
06-23-2013, 11:36 AM
thanks alot man! I unfortunately am not very handy when it comes to anything other than regular maintenance (as much as i wish i was) so asking all that was more or less so i would know what i was looking for when ever (if ever) i am able to get it fixed at a shop. hopefully some day

4.3LXJ
06-23-2013, 11:39 AM
If you find a tcase, they are not hard to replace. They weigh about 65# so not too heavy and all you need is standard hand tools and a little silicone. A jack under the tranny so you can drop it a little helps. But otherwise not hard

Carves
06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
thanks alot man! I unfortunately am not very handy when it comes to anything other than regular maintenance (as much as i wish i was) so asking all that was more or less so i would know what i was looking for when ever (if ever) i am able to get it fixed at a shop. hopefully some day

X 2 on the chain be a likely issue .... and if you're not as handy with a spanner as you would like to be ... then a, good, shop or trusted person is the go ... imho

Uni joints are fairly easy serviced/replaced tho ... if you have access to some basic tools and work area.

Sampson39
06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
well when i say i am not handy, i mean i would get under and look around at everything like a dear in headlights, pretty embarrassing to admit. i just never had to opportunity to learn. not saying i dont know my way around a tool. i just wouldnt know where to put it. and being that i have only lived in Tampa for a couple years now, i have never found a trusted shop. i guess its both a blessing and a burden my old girl hasnt needed much other than a few small things here and there my dad was able to help me with

4.3LXJ
06-23-2013, 11:58 AM
You have a Jeep now, might be time to learn

Sampson39
06-23-2013, 12:02 PM
You have a Jeep now, might be time to learn

absolutely. I couldnt agree more. Thats why i signed up for this forum:thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
When you get around to it, we will help yo through it. But we will need pics so we can help you. One pic is worth a thousand words they say

One more thing. Doing your own work is much cheaper and allows you to do fun things to your Jeep you might not otherwise be able to afford

prcjeep
06-23-2013, 03:59 PM
All things Ive learned how to do mechanically have been from this site or youtube videos. Trust me, swapping a tcase or replacing the chain seems daunting, but if you do it, you will realize its not as tough as you thought and your pocketbook gets a rest too, over time your also build up a good assortment of tools for future diy repairs/projects.

XJ Wheeler
06-23-2013, 04:35 PM
well when i say i am not handy, i mean i would get under and look around at everything like a dear in headlights, pretty embarrassing to admit. i just never had to opportunity to learn. not saying i dont know my way around a tool. i just wouldnt know where to put it. and being that i have only lived in Tampa for a couple years now, i have never found a trusted shop. i guess its both a blessing and a burden my old girl hasnt needed much other than a few small things here and there my dad was able to help me with

One thing you may want to consider is picking up a factory service manual for your model. They are worth their weight in gold, and i do mean gold cause they aren't cheap. And we will always be willing to help. You're lucky to have the internet. Most of what i learned before about two years ago (didn't get "online" till then) i learned from manuals and those automotive shows. :rolleyes:

ParadiseXJ
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
If you are not "handy" now, you can learn. When I got my first Jeep 10 years ago, I didn't know squat about it...I hadn't done any wrenching in years.

I have built 1 XJ and 1 MJ almost from the ground up since then...using this and similar forums. My advice (and my own opinion)...dive into a small project with your Jeep, just outside your comfort zone. You may (you WILL) have frustrations and might (will) screw things up...but you'll learn alot and save a pile of money doing your own work.

bluedragon436
07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
I would def say try taking on the project of replacing the chain yourself... as it isn't too hard, and would cost you far more than it really should to take it to a dealership or any other shop... You can find the larger wider upgraded chain in sprockets as well as the stock chain/sprocket online for a pretty cheap price... I'm looking at picking up the wide chain to install when I pull my TC apart to do the SYE... and def feel free to ask questions about anything you are stuck on or worried about... The folks on here are always helpful and very informative!!

budgetxjmcknight
07-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I am a self taught wrench head, learned everything I know from looking at a manual and going for it. It wasn't, maybe 4 years before I did my first motor swap, but that was all on Hondas. I know boo me, but now with the xj bug in me, its more fun than ever!!!!!!!!! Nothing beats turning a few wrenches for a few hrs and being proud to say Hell yea I did that..:beer: