PDA

View Full Version : Control arms

SeniorGustas
06-21-2013, 01:41 PM
hey guys so i have a the bas 3 inch rough country just came with shocks aal and coils i have 2.25 shackles and 2 inch coils spacer and i know i need control arms and extended brakelines theres a guy on craigslist selling these "-HD extended front lower control arms (16.25" eye to eye): $100 per set:" would this work for 4.5 to 5 inch lift? I apreciate it!

oderdene
06-22-2013, 07:22 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9520

It would work, 100 is good price. .2" is not big difference. 16,25 vs. 16,47

SeniorGustas
06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
i knwo but im on stock control arms right now so i just want to make sure those will reach to about 5 inchs of lift
think ill need uppers too?

LizardRunner
06-25-2013, 08:05 AM
if your going up to 4-5 inches you would need to replace uppers and lowers. Adjustables might be your best bang for the buck and Iron Man Andy has the toughest on the market. If you go above 4", you would love the ride of a set of long arms, not to mention the better articulation. Don't forget the longer/ adjustable Track bar, Death Wobble is nasty.

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Its not a DD right now but its legal it does get death wobbles i keep meaning to crawl under there and see if i can find any loose bolts. What do they run? $300 ish for uppers and lowers? it would be like 300 for uppers and lowers 100 for shackles and coil spacers and 100 for extended brake lines maybe 200 for track bar?. think its worth my while to just buy a full kit? and get the track bar, sway bar quick discos and such?

4.3LXJ
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
It is possible to piece together what you want. Been doing that from day one on my own. Kits are nice if they have everything. However if you want real beef like the stuff from Iron Man Andy or an equivalent, then it is best to piece together your own. Almost all the kits, with only one or two exceptions, will not be as beefy

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
yeah, lifting on a budget, i wish i had gone bigger to start with but doesnt most everyone say that? i dont plan on doing any major wheeling, theres some old logging roads close to my house with some good views and alot of mud. I've gone through most everytrail with 3 inchs and two wheel drive though about 1/3 i cant pass through. mostly for my eye candy/fishing/camping! and i appreciate all the advice you guys are awesome

bluedragon436
06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Lifting on a budget is always a fun time.. but def more enjoyable after you get it all together and going and know that you collected and put all those parts together and made them work... I did my complete lift on a budget, and am def glad I went to the height I did off the bat, instead of starting lower like I was going too... The folks on here talked me into it... well more talked to me about experiences they had of starting off lower and wishing they had just started with the higher height they knew they eventually wanted to make it too... so am glad I heeded that advice the first time around...

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah the past me is an idiot! oh well im excited to build it! im working full time and in high school so all my money goes straight to the jeep im just sick of waiting for paychecks. I dont understand why my boss wont just pay me for nothing. i mean all i do is drool over jeeps on my computer all day anyway! hahaha :P

bluedragon436
06-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah the past me is an idiot! oh well im excited to build it! im working full time and in high school so all my money goes straight to the jeep im just sick of waiting for paychecks. I dont understand why my boss wont just pay me for nothing. i mean all i do is drool over jeeps on my computer all day anyway! hahaha :P

Not an idiot... Heck I would have made the exact same decision on my build, had I not found the great guys/gals on here to help me not make that decision... only important part is to learn from past choices and move on from them to build up what you want and how you want it... Hey I hear you on the hating the wait of pay checks... try working on two projects, one of which you've been working on far longer... and needing to wait on paychecks to proceed on both of them... LOL... It's all good though, just gives me far longer to research the parts and choices before I have the money and make a jump on what at the time seems like a kick a$$ deal... would rather have time to research and talk to folks on here especially to make sure it really is as good of a deal as it seems to me...

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey I hear you on the hating the wait of pay checks... try working on two projects, one of which you've been working on far longer... and needing to wait on paychecks to proceed on both of them... LOL... It's all good though, just gives me far longer to research the parts and choices before I have the money and make a jump on what at the time seems like a kick a$$ deal... would rather have time to research and talk to folks on here especially to make sure it really is as good of a deal as it seems to me...

I know exactly what you mean from not having cash ive found from other peoples reviews that i would have regret alot of the parts i was planning to buy! im going to purchase another cherokee friday. its only $250 and complete other then no engine or tranny. im just going to take the axels and then part it out. Know what kind of axels are in a 84 cherokee chief? 2 door?

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 05:39 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3892531338.html im actually just planning on trading him the TV in my room it never gets used! :P

bluedragon436
06-25-2013, 06:09 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3892531338.html im actually just planning on trading him the TV in my room it never gets used! :P

IIRC should be a Dana 30/Dana 35... and also IIRC you are looking at possibly having 3.73 or 4.10 gears... if you have 4.10 gears... at least there is always that positive to it all... LOL.. Someone else may correct me, but that is what I remember seeing online when I was looking at a Cheif from that time frame..

SeniorGustas
06-25-2013, 11:00 PM
what is IIRC?

4.3LXJ
06-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Internet slang for if I remember correctly

SeniorGustas
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
difference between deisconnect axel and non? if i have non disconnect can i put a disconect in? both dana 30 in cherokee. Im not sure which i have currently but i know the new one is a dosconnect.

NW99XJ
06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
difference between deisconnect axel and non? if i have non disconnect can i put a disconect in? both dana 30 in cherokee. Im not sure which i have currently but i know the new one is a dosconnect.

You dont want a disconnect axle...... (its a strength issue mainly)
You essentially cannot go in the reverse (so to speak) ...you can make a vacuum disconnect axle a non-disco.... but you cannot make a non-disco axle a vacuum disconnect..... the provisions to do so are just not there.

SeniorGustas
06-26-2013, 04:14 PM
well damn! haha thanks for the advice. if i did have disco the swap wouldnt be a bigg deal besides a pain in the a$$

SeniorGustas
06-26-2013, 04:15 PM
is the only way to tell the giant tumor on the axel next to the diff?

4.3LXJ
06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes, that is the difference