PDA

View Full Version : NP231 Transfercase

jdsilvaca
06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
How interchangeable are the NP231 transfercases from the Wranger to the Cherokee? I have a 1997 Cherokee, automatic transmission. I found one for sale out of a Wrangler with a SYE on it. Was wondering if it's a simple bolt in swap.

Yes, I'm new to Jeeps. This is my first Jeep, I've owned it for about 5 months. I installed a 4.5" lift, and 31x10.5x15 tires. I need to add the SYE, lockers, gears and axles next.

Thanks

Jason

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Jason, the boxes are the same assuming the input gear has the same spline count with one exception. The free end of the case sits higher in the Wrangler. The proper term is clocking. So in essence, the Wrangler case is clocked higher and will hit the floor boards and require modification. However, the SYE itself can be swapped over to your present case

jdsilvaca
06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

Jason

TimmyTXJ
06-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Jason, the boxes are the same assuming the input gear has the same spline count with one exception. The free end of the case sits higher in the Wrangler. The proper term is clocking. So in essence, the Wrangler case is clocked higher and will hit the floor boards and require modification. However, the SYE itself can be swapped over to your present case

Awesome info Steve! I thought they were exactly the same, never thought about clocking. This will count as my "learned something new" for today. :)