PDA

View Full Version : Hydro assist problem

Dalem
06-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I just bought this 96' cherokee. Has full width 60's on 36" I rocks. Has hydro assist steering, problem in having is it turns very slowly. Not sure if the pump or box has been upgraded. Now if I disconnect the ram, the wheel won't turn until the ram has reached it's limit and stops. Then the wheel turns fine in that direction, now if you switch directions u have to wait till the ram stops in the other direction and again the wheel turns fine. I'm thinking of just capping it off and removing the ram but would like to keep it since its already there. I took it out last weekend and it started a popping sound that sounds like its coming from the gear box. And when I was working it hard, at some point it shot fluid out the cap on the pump. Any ideas where to start?

4.3LXJ
06-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Got a couple of questions for ya. First, did it ever work right. Second, who made the box and was it tapped from the start? And was the pump upgraded with the hydroassist?

Dalem
06-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Never worked right since I've had it, bought it this way so I don't know who did what.

denverd1
06-21-2013, 09:25 AM
sounds like a cool rig. good luck with the steering setup. those kits aren't cheap.

throw some pics up if you get a chance

Dalem
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
First time out was last weekend with this one. It worked nice!

Dalem
06-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Don't know why it keeps rotating my pics!

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Don't know why it keeps rotating my pics!

If you upload from a computer it will default so the horizontal dimension is wider than vertical. If you use a free image hosting service like Photobucket then you can totally manage your pics.

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 09:47 AM
OK, back to your steering. The way the hydro assist works is that it taps into the pressurized parts of the steering box. That pressure will follow the path of least resistance. So if the ram is more efficient or has less pressure on it it will go until it meets sufficient resistance to allow the steering box to work. As for how slow it is, the extra capacity of the ram requires a larger pump. This can be remedied easily with a high capacity pump from AGR for less than $200 and an easy upgrade

Dalem
06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Makes sense, should I have my box rebuilt to be safe when I put on the new pump?

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 09:55 AM
No unless there is something else wrong with it.

gary63
06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
will I was thinking of maybe upgrading my steering if I change the pump with one that is for a Hydro but I don't have one yet will it hert anything? or do I have to replace the gear box at the same time?

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
will I was thinking of maybe upgrading my steering if I change the pump with one that is for a Hydro but I don't have one yet will it hert anything? or do I have to replace the gear box at the same time?

No to both questions. (I addressed this on a podcast hint hint). The bigger pumps also have more pressure and will mimic steering box upgrades with the higher pressure. The additional volume is no big deal as the pressure relief valve and the valving of the stock box takes care of that. I have the upgraded pump in my Jeep and it is nice. Steering is easier now than before the pump.

gary63
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
I was just thinking more presher more heat. as for easyer steering will the tires jerk back and forth on rutted trails or will it hold it straighter? also with theup grade steering and pump will it push or pull other steering parts apart?

Mudderoy
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
No to both questions. (I addressed this on a podcast hint hint). The bigger pumps also have more pressure and will mimic steering box upgrades with the higher pressure. The additional volume is no big deal as the pressure relief valve and the valving of the stock box takes care of that. I have the upgraded pump in my Jeep and it is nice. Steering is easier now than before the pump.

Yep that was covered in Episode 75's "Jeep Tips!" segment if you care to have a listen!

http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2013/04/episode-75/

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Not sure, but I don't experience those symptoms. As with any hydraulic system, you can make it too hot and need a small cooler. I haven't noticed any problems yet. As far as bracing, you should plate the outside of the frame at minimum as you can rip the bolts through with all stock components due to the use of larger tires off road

gary63
06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
thanks on the 75 jeep tips I must have miss that one. I have the backbone and c-rok spacer and getting ready for the other side. thank for the inf. on steering and photobucket I been having a problem with pix too.