PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Talynk72!!!

cantab27
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Hi Talynk72, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Talynk72
06-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Hi Talynk72, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Well howdy and thanks for the warm welcome! I came across the website looking for more info and input on tryin to revive my 88 Cherokee "Ole Blue" as I call it. It's been feelin really blue, starts (sometimes takes a bit) the sputters spits and dies. This all started last summer, would stall now and then and progressed actually rather quickly to a bucking loss of power and stalling to not going more than 10MPH and finally to not stayin running at all. I have tried several things from new cap and rotor plugs idle stepper motor MAP EGR solenoid EGR valve new air box new vacuum harness and checked all lines over and over, did find nipple on cruise control broken causing vacuum leak so replaces that too. So..... Lol
I have a question on the throttle body where the vacuum line for MAP goes. There are two holes in the rubber piece and there was a cut/broken tube in the hole. Is it supposed to be attached to something? The diagram for the 4.0L vacuum lines shows nothing not to mention is hard as heck to read aroun the harness and showing were everything is "exactly" supposed to go. Would be nice if was color coded.

So here I am after searching more for info. But after checking the site out seems like a pretty kickin crew! I am also on the Jeep Forum. I thought there was a mobile AP but can't find it.

XJ Wheeler
06-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Hey Tiffany, welcome to the site. Glad ya joined, hope ya like it.

Sounds like quite a problem you have there. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Some pics of that '88 would be great too.

Talynk72
06-20-2013, 02:15 AM
Hey Tiffany, welcome to the site. Glad ya joined, hope ya like it.

Sounds like quite a problem you have there. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Some pics of that '88 would be great too.

Yep just ibis he cleaning the throttle body again, this time I scrubbed it so good it shines. Lol.
Posting a pic of good Ole Blue, hopefully it will post.

Mudderoy
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Well howdy and thanks for the warm welcome! I came across the website looking for more info and input on tryin to revive my 88 Cherokee "Ole Blue" as I call it. It's been feelin really blue, starts (sometimes takes a bit) the sputters spits and dies. This all started last summer, would stall now and then and progressed actually rather quickly to a bucking loss of power and stalling to not going more than 10MPH and finally to not stayin running at all. I have tried several things from new cap and rotor plugs idle stepper motor MAP EGR solenoid EGR valve new air box new vacuum harness and checked all lines over and over, did find nipple on cruise control broken causing vacuum leak so replaces that too. So..... Lol
I have a question on the throttle body where the vacuum line for MAP goes. There are two holes in the rubber piece and there was a cut/broken tube in the hole. Is it supposed to be attached to something? The diagram for the 4.0L vacuum lines shows nothing not to mention is hard as heck to read aroun the harness and showing were everything is "exactly" supposed to go. Would be nice if was color coded.

So here I am after searching more for info. But after checking the site out seems like a pretty kickin crew! I am also on the Jeep Forum. I thought there was a mobile AP but can't find it.

If it's anything like the MAP connection in my 98 I have a little "elbow" rubber hose. One end goes to the MAP the other end goes to the nipple on the throttle body.

Talynk72
06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
If it's anything like the MAP connection in my 98 I have a little "elbow" rubber hose. One end goes to the MAP the other end goes to the nipple on the throttle body.

Yes one end of the vacuum line goes to throttle the other to the MAP, I took my throttle body totally off last night and thoroughly cleaned it, still not sure if the other hole on the rubber piece from the MAP attaches to anything but from all the photos I have seen it doesn't. When I had apart an was cleaning it I seen that it sort of looks like a vent/breather being its not its own port. It's connected to the one that the MAP one goes into.
Also I changed plug cables/wires and cleaned the manifold temp sensor.
Nothing changed. I put some sea foam in the tank and oil to run through an am thinkin of running through my vacuum lines but I need it to run to blow it through so holding off on that. Got the engine up to a little over 100 degrees trying to get to temp. But still dies.

4.3LXJ
06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
I wonder if this is another one of those crank position sensor things. Has it ever been replaced?

Talynk72
06-20-2013, 02:50 PM
I wonder if this is another one of those crank position sensor things. Has it ever been replaced?

I have NO idea! I looked at information on it already and have been thinking about that as well. I have only had Ole Blue for just over a year now. 8 months of that year has been sitting in my driveway

XJ Wheeler
06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
How old is the gas?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Talynk72
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
It was almost on E beginning if spring and I had been able to start it just not able to keep running through out the winter in hopes it would not cause issues. And once it got nice out I put in 1/4 a tank from gas can of fresh gas. And not its at about 1/8 or so and I just out in the sea foam today and plan to out some more new gas in. It does have a new filter btw

XJ Wheeler
06-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Okay, good. Old gas can cause issues.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Talynk72
06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
I learned that the hard way with my mower, thankfully not my vehicle. I just need cheap fixes cuz my savings has been spent trying different suggestions and nothing has worked.
I love my Cherokee and not wanting to give up but I am at a loss. I had a mid 90's that was a salvage 4 banger and was so rusted the floor boards were gone in a few spots. Still I loved it and when I came across Ole Blue I jumped on it. Only real rust is the rockers and for an 88 I wa like wow :-)

4.3LXJ
06-20-2013, 05:53 PM
If the new gas and sea foam doesn't cure it, I would seriously consider the CPS as being the culprit