PDA

View Full Version : No I really did pay the bill! :P

Mudderoy
06-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Contrary to popular belief the site outage today was not an act of terrorism, retaliation from one of the several government agencies that Josh and I were talking about on the Tony and Josh Show "podcast" last night, it was due to our ISP {cough} AT&T {cough} screwing up our IP assignment.

I was out sick from work today, but stayed busy anyway dealing with the Internet outage. I started about 7am and by 3:45pm AT&T figured out what the problem was, and it only took me telling them what the problem was for 5 hours! :D I will say this 3 of the 10 people I spoke with (yes literally 10) were extremely helpful, gave me their direct lines and one engineer called me about 5 times to make sure everything was going okay.

Basically when they "fixed" the problem the broke it at the same time. In their attempt to resolve they changed the IP address of the website. This means anywhere from a few hours up to 72 hours before these numerical addresses get pushed out to all the ISP's around the world.

This is why you may notice some people have been accessing the site long before you could. It just depends on your ISP and how often they check for DNS updates. If you like I can forgo the tech talk and just pat you on the head and say "it'll be okay darling" lol

:smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
06-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Oh and these outages don't happen very often, but if you want a way to find out what's going on when they do you should friend xjtalk on Facebook, and/or follow us on Twitter. :beer:

XJ Wheeler
06-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Finally! I was going crazy all day. :D Still seems a bit sketchy but glad to be back.

4.3LXJ
06-15-2013, 08:36 AM
It was nuts. HUM WEE Jr could find it on his phone, but I could not on mine or the computer, but I got a few emails of posts

Mudderoy
06-15-2013, 11:31 AM
It was nuts. HUM WEE Jr could find it on his phone, but I could not on mine or the computer, but I got a few emails of posts

Yep sometimes you'll hear, "The DNS entry has to be pushed out" but really it's the other way around. Every DNS server (usually just a service on a computer) stores domain names to IP address tables in local cache. Then at various intervals, just depends on the admin, it will check back with the SOA to get any changes. That can be anytime from RIGHT NOW up to 72 hours. Just depends on the guy, or gal, that set up the service. I think that a RFC dictates the min and max time.

Most DNS services (servers) aren't set up for 72 hours. Most are much quicker than that, thank goodness.

nickyg
06-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Yep sometimes you'll hear, "The DNS entry has to be pushed out" but really it's the other way around. Every DNS server (usually just a service on a computer) stores domain names to IP address tables in local cache. Then at various intervals, just depends on the admin, it will check back with the SOA to get any changes. That can be anytime from RIGHT NOW up to 72 hours. Just depends on the guy, or gal, that set up the service. I think that a RFC dictates the min and max time.

Most DNS services (servers) aren't set up for 72 hours. Most are much quicker than that, thank goodness.

OUCH!!! you just made my head hurt. Just let me know when it's safe to press the "enter" button.

drakan1908
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I've been cussing my phone. :banghead: I thought it was trying to be a butt. Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

bluedragon436
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Glad to hear all is good again... I love when ISP's mess stuff up.. then try and play it off as your fault or something!!...

4.3LXJ
06-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Just prior to that I had lost all my internet. I had just gotten that fixed, finally determined it was a bad USB hub, then I couldn't get XJTalk. Thought in my messing around I had messed up IP addresses or something

XJ Wheeler
06-15-2013, 03:11 PM
So it was all Steves fault. ^^ :D

4.3LXJ
06-15-2013, 05:05 PM
So it was all Steves fault. ^^ :D

Darned Apple computers anyway :P

XJ Wheeler
06-16-2013, 04:14 AM
Darned Apple computers anyway :P

You know what they say. The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Cuz it drags it down too. :D

Carves
06-16-2013, 06:15 PM
scribble, scribble ... fold, fold ... lick, press ...

mumble mumble ...

Damned internet .....

:D