PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed - jeep is spraying oil everywhere

Andrew XJ
06-10-2013, 07:33 PM
My jeep is spraying oil everywhere.
It is leaking where that bolt is under my oil filter. what is that part called.

bluedragon436
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
That would be your oil filter adapter or oil filter housing that is leaking... there are a few O-rings inside of there that you can replace.. I was trying to find, I am pretty sure we had a member on here do a pretty decent writeup in a thread (possibly his build thread) showing how he did it... It looks to be pretty straight forward, once you order up the seals and such...

Carves
06-10-2013, 08:00 PM
X 2 with bluedragon436

Straight forward job - but that bolt can be a bugger to get out.

Theres one large and two small o-rings ... they come as a set from most places.

... and you need a T-60 torx for the bolt.

Andrew XJ
06-10-2013, 08:10 PM
My bolt is a standard bolt head.

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 09:50 PM
The o ring kit cost me a whopping 7 bucks at Chrysler lol :) someone must have lost that bolt at some point and found one that fit. No worries. Depending on what year Cherokee you have this would also be a good time to do your engine mounts. Some years the oil filter adapter has to come off to do the engine mount bushings.

Andrew XJ
06-12-2013, 12:45 AM
unfortunately the entire adapter is shot. after further inspection it appears the oil is leaking round that bolt head. the plate right behind that bolt head was worped after we took it off. I am also having trouble finding an adapter that's like that anybody know where I can get one would be a great help.

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2013, 03:26 AM
Might check Team Cherokee, they often have odds and ends no one else has. http://teamcherokee.com/

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 06:16 AM
unfortunately the entire adapter is shot. after further inspection it appears the oil is leaking round that bolt head. the plate right behind that bolt head was worped after we took it off. I am also having trouble finding an adapter that's like that anybody know where I can get one would be a great help.

FactoryMopar.com (I think that's the site) I bought one for my engine rebuild. Oh, well maybe that was just the bolt. I bet they have the adapter as well though.

nickyg
06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
This might be one of those parts you could find easly in a junk yard. Your lucky you had a hex head on yours. Mine was a T60 torx and was a lil tough to get out.

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
This might be one of those parts you could find easly in a junk yard. Your lucky you had a hex head on yours. Mine was a T60 torx and was a lil tough to get out.

I'm wondering if that's why it's spraying. Seems to me the factory bolt is tapered, can't remember.

http://www.myjeepxj.com/uploads/images/Jeep/oil-filter-adapter/DSCF0065.JPG

Mudderoy
06-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Okay so the bolt depends on the year. The first oil filter adapters had the hex head bolt.

XjJeepacorn
06-12-2013, 03:17 PM
What I would do is clean it up and put high heat gasket maker around the bolt just until you can find one at the jy, or parts store I almost said that ya know! Maybe it's coming from around the bolt! Possibly the p.o. Could have stripped it ? Maybe the wrong thread... Any ways you could probably tap it out to but taping hardened steel is hard! I found that out the hard way! It's not like your going to damage the part more it might be worth a try

msmoorenburg
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
hit up the local autoparts store and go to the "help section" dorman has a oil filter adapter oring kit. on the back it will state for amc/jeep 242/4.0 it has everything you need.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-24849-82560.aspx

bigjim350
06-12-2013, 03:27 PM
hit up the local autoparts store and go to the "help section" dorman has a oil filter adapter oring kit. on the back it will state for amc/jeep 242/4.0 it has everything you need.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-24849-82560.aspx

That kit doesn't have the right o-rings for the older style adapter he has. Trust me I tried em. Had to get em from the dealer. And yes that is the right bolt on it.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Andrew XJ
06-19-2013, 12:08 PM
I love the Sight of new parts in the Morning.