PDA

View Full Version : So where do XJ's leak rainwater?

Dredwolf
06-08-2013, 10:16 PM
We have been getting heavy rains several timesaver week here in SC and I found the rear carpet soaked today. Door gasket is in good shape, so where do I start looking?

XJ Wheeler
06-09-2013, 03:15 AM
Seems to be a common area with the molding on the bar that separates the rear door roll down windows and small quarter windows. Also the rear side windows and liftgate windows can have sort of secret leaks in the seals. The weatherstripping for the doors and liftgate can get ripped, also make sure they are lined up with the ends toward the bottom.

nickxj94
06-09-2013, 03:23 AM
Where do they not leak? Mine leaks from the front windshield, both front doors, both front door windows, both rear doors and windows and the rear hatch! :D

XjJeepacorn
06-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Spray it with a garden hose and see if you can find it

editedforsafety
06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Coat the weatherstripping around the doors with baby powder. Spray the car with artificial rain, and wait a while. When you open the doors, you should be able to see if water was getting through anywhere.

prerunner1982
06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I know mine leaks.... not sure of all the places. I know the doors leak, the upper hinges pulled away from the body (typical issue) and when the previous owner had it repaired it must have been by a monkey with a welder. The doors don't close right. My rear cargo area also gathers water, either from side windows or rear hatch..... the water also drains down and collects in the rear fenders. Pull your taillights off and shine a flashlight down in there, mine is not the only one I have heard of holding water there.

Mudderoy
06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Mine never leaked until I had the windshield replaced. Then it leaked upper passenger side. Just a trickle down the inside of the windshield, but still... I used some windshield sealant from the auto parts store. Just pushed the seal back on the outside and globed some in there. Doesn't leak any longer.

NW99XJ
06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Mine leaks rain water all over the driveway....but only when it rains....
Ok in all seriousness, the baby powder trick is the best advice.....
I might also consider taking out the carpet, and hanging it in the garage for a day or two to let it dry out, with that out, you can clean up the floorboards, and maybe even get a better look at where the water is collecting or coming from.

prerunner1982
06-13-2013, 12:34 PM
you can clean up the floorboards, and maybe even get a better look at where the water is collecting or coming from.

and get a good look at the rust problem from all that rain water leaking in.. :bang:

Niac
06-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Water is coming in around the screws that hold my roof rack slides on. It drains down inside the "B" piller and collects on the rear passenger floor pan.

nickyg
06-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Do you have a sun roof? If you do then it's probbly open or the drains are clogged

Dredwolf
06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you have a sun roof? If you do then it's probbly open or the drains are clogged

No sunroof, just the factory rack...got further on the rear lift today, this is next.

cheriokie
06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Mine leaks in the window in the rear hatch from the top passenger side corner but only when I have the hatch up in a rainstorm

grapeape
07-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Mine leaks around the drivers door seal, and pools up on the floor.