PDA

View Full Version : Gas

bcrosson92
06-07-2013, 06:57 AM
There is an ethanol free supplier near my house. Should i switch and only use straight gas. ive heard that ethanol is only a filler in gas to make it go further per batch like watering it down. i know the jeep engine says its fine to use the ethanol gas but would i see a difference in power or "health" of my engine from the switch. the reason you need to clean the TB and Valves is partly because you engine doesn't burn the ethanol.

Carves
06-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Try it and see how you like it.

Personally I hate the ethanol muck but some are happy with it.

Over the long term I get better mileage on straight petrol compared to a E10 blend.

bcrosson92
06-07-2013, 08:17 AM
alright ill have to wait till my tank is empty

4.3LXJ
06-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Your milage will improve and emissions go down

Mudderoy
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
There is an ethanol free supplier near my house. Should i switch and only use straight gas. ive heard that ethanol is only a filler in gas to make it go further per batch like watering it down. i know the jeep engine says its fine to use the ethanol gas but would i see a difference in power or "health" of my engine from the switch. the reason you need to clean the TB and Valves is partly because you engine doesn't burn the ethanol.

I wish you'd do a few weeks of mpg calculations, switch and continue the calculations to see what kind of difference in mpg it makes. But other than that I would switch in a heart beat.

OrangeXJ
06-07-2013, 09:40 AM
what I know about it comes from people I know who have boats is it gathers moisture if you let it sit too long. Screwing up injecters

Brasscatz
06-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I used to mix a gallon of denatured alcohol with 19 gallons of gas to clean out my Trans Am. Stuff worked quite well and helped lower emmissions when getting it inspected. I hear a lot of bad stuff about the ethanol mix... even the E85 Flex Fuel cars aren't as efficient. People either don't notice a change with the ethanol, or notice negative changes it seems. I'd be interested to see how your Jeep doesn on straight dinosaur juice. Is it more expensive?

4.3LXJ
06-07-2013, 10:18 AM
What I can tell you for sure about ethanol is that my milage in my 80 Chevy pickup goes from 16 mpg to 14 mpg on ethanol gas. Everyone else I know who travels interstate has the same experience. E85 is even worse. My Jeep took an additional 25% milage loss with that stuff, and the bad part is that unless you buy premium, it is what you get in the winter here like it or not. Go Greenies. Also, a fresh experience on Project TJ resurrection, Passed smog on Premium gas and develops a #6 miss on ethanol gas.

jeepin_idaho
06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I ran the e85 stuff in my Suburban once, since it says its capable of it, but you get way less bang for the buck. Now if the E85 was $1 cheaper/gallon then you might be able to make your money back on the major hit you take to MPGs. I know that I used to be able to get 320 miles on a tank in my XJ and now I only get 250 at best because all the stations around here are running e15. I'd get the straight petrol if I could too. Go get it while you can and then come back here and gloat, I mean, tell us how it works out.

bcrosson92
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
I always buy e85 I'm cheep. I get about 16 mpg on it after my intake and exhaust change was 12 mpg. I drive almost all highway like 4 hours a day. I will start taking mpg calculations beginning Monday but the first week will be off as I have a .25 of e85 in it.

bcrosson92
06-09-2013, 07:32 PM
sorry I meant regular 87 I will start calculations this week but it will be off for a week because of the regular I have in my tank now. I'll put cleaner in and all. I'll post once a week with the results. I know I get about 16 mpg on regular with my intake and exhaust.