PDA

View Full Version : Rocker panel replacement (before I get to it)

XJMikey
06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I talked to a small local auto body shop (1 man show) about replacing my passenger rocker panel. After talking to the owner about what I plan to do with my Jeep, he suggested instead of wasting money on having it welded in, I should use self tapping sheet metal screws to mount it so I can then remove the panel to clean behind it and easily replace it should it become damaged offroad.

So my question is: is there any reason doing this would be a bad idea?

NW99XJ
06-06-2013, 10:20 AM
several.....
1) -if it was done right, it would be totally sealed and ther would never be any reason to have to remove it to "clean" anything.
2) -The scres will eventually strip out, well the holes they go into would at least, and those holes will eventually rust. Rust is bad.....
3) -the rocker should never get damaged (again) providing you have rock rails.... any XJ that sees any trail time SHOULD have some sort of rock rails on it. This is the number 1 most important piece of armor a Cherokee should ever have/get.

Here's a good video of a guy who did what you're looking at doing....
Replacing Jeep Cherokee Rocker Panels - YouTube

Hope this helps..... something like this should DEFINITELY be done right.,....sounds like the guy you went to either didnt really want to do the job, was trying to set you up, so you would come back and have to spend more money, or is just plain stupid, and didnt know what he was talking about.

bluedragon436
06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
I would def not just screw it in... I'd def weld her in there, and like Josh said... you weld it in there correctly, and you won't have anything to clean out, and you won't have a huge rust issues, like you would if you just screwed the panel in... Yes it would make it far easier to replace if you damage it... but for the same amount of money you'd end up spending to continuously replace it, you could just pick up a set of rock rails and protect the complete rocker panel, and possibly even more parts of your XJ, depending on which ones you pick up...

4.3LXJ
06-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Don't screw it :D

Two reasons. The rocker panel provides structural integrity for the unibody. The screws will work loose and they won't provide the strength welding does.

XJMikey
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
several.....
1) -if it was done right, it would be totally sealed and ther would never be any reason to have to remove it to "clean" anything.
2) -The scres will eventually strip out, well the holes they go into would at least, and those holes will eventually rust. Rust is bad.....
3) -the rocker should never get damaged (again) providing you have rock rails.... any XJ that sees any trail time SHOULD have some sort of rock rails on it. This is the number 1 most important piece of armor a Cherokee should ever have/get.

Here's a good video of a guy who did what you're looking at doing....
Replacing Jeep Cherokee Rocker Panels - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlF2hBD8O8M)

Hope this helps..... something like this should DEFINITELY be done right.,....sounds like the guy you went to either didnt really want to do the job, was trying to set you up, so you would come back and have to spend more money, or is just plain stupid, and didnt know what he was talking about.

I trust the guy. I've seen the work he does and it's dealer showroom quality. He's more than happy to install an replacement rocker the proper way, but offered a cheap fix option if I wanted to save money and do it myself (lack welding skills and the time to learn.)

I would def not just screw it in... I'd def weld her in there, and like Josh said... you weld it in there correctly, and you won't have anything to clean out, and you won't have a huge rust issues, like you would if you just screwed the panel in... Yes it would make it far easier to replace if you damage it... but for the same amount of money you'd end up spending to continuously replace it, you could just pick up a set of rock rails and protect the complete rocker panel, and possibly even more parts of your XJ, depending on which ones you pick up...

Two reasons. The rocker panel provides structural integrity for the unibody. The screws will work loose and they won't provide the strength welding does.

I'll have Sandy weld in the replacement sitting in the garage. And I plan to get a set of bare metal C4x4 2"x2" rock rails to keep my rockers safe.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Mountain Goat
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM

The rocker panel provides structural integrity for the unibody.

^^^ X2 ^^^