PDA

View Full Version : She's at it again - Cherokee Recall?

OrangeXJ
06-04-2013, 05:52 PM
There was an earlyer post about the lady who is paying for bill board advertising out of her pocket to have the older XJ's recalled for fire on rear end wrecks. This time she was on the national news. Jeep said the XJ passed the industry standard speed test for rear end crashes. If you were rear ended by a 18 wheeler at 55 like the one she saw Im sure there is a chance it will catch on fire just like any car or truck with a rear gas tank. I saw a picture of the XJ it was close to being folded in half it took a lick

Brasscatz
06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I agree, doesn't matter what car you're in... it can catch fire. I actually JUST NOW saw on the news that the government asked Jeep to recall 2.5 million Jeep Grand Cherokees from 1993-2004 and Libertys from 2002-2007/8. JEEP REFUSED saying that the Jeeps pass the federal safety tests!!! Apparently, the government tried to force them to recall them back in the late 90's and Jeep won in court. :D

Carves
06-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Silly woman ... :bang:

Someone should give her a motorcycle to ride,

... and film the expression on her face when she realises where the petrol tank is .. :rolleyes:

Hope she doesnt come down here ... our media and gov't is only too happy - to pander to those types.

bigjim350
06-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Strange this topic would come up again today. This same thing happened today at work. A XJ was broke down in the right hand lane on the feeder road. A tow truck driver didnt see it, for some reason, and slammed into the back of it. From what the folks who saw it said, it exploded. When I got there it was a REALLY big fire. The tow truck driver pulled the guy out and tried to give him CPR, but he did die. The driver was a guy in his 60's waiting for his son to get there and help. Son showed up after the wreck.....

bigjim350
06-04-2013, 11:47 PM
But in defense for the xj, it was a really hard hit. The jeep looked like it was folded in half. Not sure if the driver died from the crash or the fire.

XJ Wheeler
06-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Like i said before, it doesn't matter the vehicle. Any with the tank back there will have the same result. In fact some jeeps are probably better than your regular car with a rear tank, because some have a skid plate to help protect it.

Several models have rear tanks, most suvs and cars in fact. Why pick on Jeeps? Same reason they blamed Hummer for burning the earth up with such bad fuel economy. :rolleyes: They're different and an easy target to get their agenda accomplished. What do they think would be better? Putting it in front, we all know that's ridiculous. Put it in the center, under the passengers... Pffft. Guess i should be glad there's nothing worse and more important these people should be doing. :bang:

I can't believe i didn't associate it before but i have first hand experience at this. About 10 years ago we were rear ended in a WJ (it was the rental we got after out ZJ got wrecked so i don't know the year, i believe it was a later one though). We were sitting at a red light and a Dodge Stratus hit us from behind at about 30-35 mph. After getting over the shock i got out to look at the damage. I don't know why but crumpled cars interest me. Anyway, the Stratus sat low enough it hit the tank directly and went under it. The Stratus' hood was crushed and radiator spewing, but the only damage to the WJ was a bent down tail pipe. The tank DIDN'T leak, catch fire, or EXPLODE! We were fine, not blown to bits.

jdougn
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Strange this topic would come up again today. This same thing happened today at work. A XJ was broke down in the right hand lane on the feeder road. A tow truck driver didnt see it, for some reason, and slammed into the back of it. From what the folks who saw it said, it exploded. When I got there it was a REALLY big fire. The tow truck driver pulled the guy out and tried to give him CPR, but he did die. The driver was a guy in his 60's waiting for his son to get there and help. Son showed up after the wreck.....

Is this the article?

KHOU.com/news/local/Man-killed-after-his-Jeep-breaks-down-on-East-Beltway-feeder (http://www.khou.com/news/local/Man-killed-after-his-Jeep-breaks-down-on-East-Beltway-feeder--210193051.html)
It is a tragic story but I'm not sure the gas tank is to blame. Look at the pic of the Jeep. The hatch has been pushed up to the front seats. What would have to be done to protect the gas tank in that kind of impact?

Brasscatz
06-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I will say up front that I have not studied everything about this Jeep recall stuff, but I have opinions that I can share based off of what I have learned so far. Am I biased because I drive and love my XJ? Possibly, but I'm trying to keep an open mind as well.

I almost lost my dad in a wreck back in '97 and hearing about wrecks is hard for me, but I don't understand some people sometimes. I cannot imagine being that guy's son no matter how close I came to actually having the same experience of losing my father to a wreck. Do we know what the guy died from? Did he die because of the fire, or did he die from the impact? Is the government going to use this wreck to strengthen their arguement against Jeep, or are they going to place blame on the truck that hit him? It feels like a universal lack of responsibility that is seen everywhere in our daily lives. Like the IRS guy that wouldn't answer the questions about responsibility in targeting the conservatives, or people suing McDonald's for obesity or for hot coffee, or banning soft drinks over a certain size, or kids that go on killing spree (it's a movie and video game problem and not a parenting/individual problem apparently. Yeah, there's the exceptions to that with mental instability, but don't blame video games and movies). Children get in trouble in school or are lazy and don't want to do the school work and fail, but that's the teacher's fault and not the parents that don't care? I smoked for 10 years before I finally was able to quit (on the patch going on 5 weeks now), but guess what? I know full well, and have from the beginning, what smoking does to the human body. I accepted the responsibility of my decision to smoke.

I've been in several accidents myself, and (very sadly) one of which I actually caused. I took my eyes off the road for a split second and ran a red light and hit a Lincoln Town Car spinning it 180*. Nobody was seriously injured (thank GOD), but I immediately accepted the blame that was rightly mine. My insurance company hired lawyers of course for the settlement litigation and this went on for 2 years (I didn't know this until they called me). The nice couple that I hit weren't trying to get rich, they just wanted their car paid for and expenses covered. 2 years later, after I moved to Houston, my insurance company's lawers wanted me to go back up to Ft. Worth to testify aganist them because they didn't want to pay. I told them very clearly that IF I ended up having to go to court I would tell everybody in the courtroom that I have insurance for a reason... in the instance of an accident caused by myself, I am insured to cover any costs I cause anybody else to incur. I will tell the court that I caused this accident and my insurance company should pay every penny of these people's expenses because that's why I pay my insurance company every month.... they settled the next day ;)

I'll get off my soap box lol. I seriously hope I didn't offend anybody and it's certainly alright if you diasagree with my assesments.

bigjim350
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Is this the article?

KHOU.com/news/local/Man-killed-after-his-Jeep-breaks-down-on-East-Beltway-feeder (http://www.khou.com/news/local/Man-killed-after-his-Jeep-breaks-down-on-East-Beltway-feeder--210193051.html)
It is a tragic story but I'm not sure the gas tank is to blame. Look at the pic of the Jeep. The hatch has been pushed up to the front seats. What would have to be done to protect the gas tank in that kind of impact?

Yeah it was that one.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

NW99XJ
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Been talking about this the last couple weeks on the podcast..... I thought it was the Grand Cherokee's though..... Although I wouldnt be surprised if they end up lumping in the XJ's into this too....

4.3LXJ
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
From the pics of that one, I would say the only safe place for a tank there is on the front bumper. Chryslers point is valid and from what I have read similar to one recall they beat. This standard is new, and ambiguous and was not in place at the time they manufactured the vehicles. The feds case is that they only passed minimum standards. So it seems big brother is trying to make new standards retroactive.

01xjcny
06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
and watching the news only 50 people have died out of the millions of jeeps

XJ Wheeler
06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Been talking about this the last couple weeks on the podcast..... I thought it was the Grand Cherokee's though..... Although I wouldnt be surprised if they end up lumping in the XJ's into this too....

I'm pretty sure it is, at least from what I've read.

nickyg
06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Remember the pintos? I survived two of em. The first one my parents drove for about 8 years before they gave it to me. when It's life was over due to rust my brother put it in a demolition derby. It never burst into flames

I guesss the tank on any car can burst if hit the right way

bigjim350
06-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Remember the pintos? I survived two of em. The first one my parents drove for about 8 years before they gave it to me. when It's life was over due to rust my brother put it in a demolition derby. It never burst into flames

I guesss the tank on any car can burst if hit the right way

The problem with pintos was if it got rear ended the bumper bolts would puncture the tank

ArmyGuy45
06-05-2013, 10:07 PM
From the pics of that one, I would say the only safe place for a tank there is on the front bumper. Chryslers point is valid and from what I have read similar to one recall they beat. This standard is new, and ambiguous and was not in place at the time they manufactured the vehicles. The feds case is that they only passed minimum standards. So it seems big brother is trying to make new standards retroactive.

Same thing with EPA regulation. They keep making them stricter but our XJ passed with what was the Federal standard at the time. If that wasnt enough, then I would blame the Federal Goverment for their low standards.

JENSSEN
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
The problem with pintos was if it got rear ended the bumper bolts would puncture the tank

Turn signal has to be on too of I recall

Paddletrucker
06-08-2013, 11:28 AM
If you get rear ended by a semi doing 55? I wonder what a SmartCar would do if rear ended by a semi at 55? Hell, I don't want to get rear ended by a semi WHEN I'M IN MY SEMI!!! Even with 53 feet of trailer behind me. This is truly idiotic.

Simple fact: If it carries a tank of gas, it COULD catch fire. The tank is in the back, so if you get rear ended, there's a fear of fire. Wasn't it Chevy pickups that they claimed exploded if they got hit from the side, because of the out of the frame saddle tank? What are you supposed to do with the fuel tank? Put it on top? No, then if an airplane crashed on top of you, it'd catch fire. I think this bit....uh, hem, lady, should just walk. Or better yet, ride a freaking bicycle. I guarantee that if you are riding a bicycle and get rear ended by a semi doing 55, you WILL NOT CATCH ON FIRE, I promise.

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 12:59 AM
If they tried to take my jeep away I'd tell them to shove it and I'd take the risk!