PDA

View Full Version : Engine hesitation issues

nolimitnick
06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
My 99 jeep has a hesitation or cutting out issue right after start-up on most every start. It wont do it while idling. (example- i start it and back out of my driveway just fine and start going down the street about 30mph for 2 blocks and after the first block it starts to cut out like it dont get enough fuel but after like 3 seconds it sputters back to normal and never really does it again until i go to walmart and when i come out it may or may not do it again, usually not as bad but it can be.) i have replaced the tps, 2 fuel stainers (chrysler is stupid for not putting a filter inline), and has new plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. I am going to get a fuel pressure tester and see if that it or much help on this would be wonderful. It is driveable but is very annoying.

nolimitnick
06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I forgot to add that after i changed the fuel strainers first it didnt do it the next time i drove it but the next time it did and the same is true with the tps when i replaced it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4.3LXJ
06-03-2013, 08:52 AM
You might try cleaning your idle air controller. Doesn't cost anything and easy to do

msmoorenburg
06-03-2013, 09:51 AM
You might try cleaning your idle air controller. Doesn't cost anything and easy to do

Idle air control valve is either gummed up or dieing. Just to clarify it happens only when you take your for off the gas to slow down.

Cheromaniac
06-03-2013, 10:27 AM
i have replaced the tps

Sometimes it isn't the TPS itself that's the problem but the wiring harness connector can be faulty. Try wiggling it gently while the engine's idling and see if the engine stumbles or develops an erratic idle.
Another suspect to consider is the cam position sensor inside the distributor. Again, try wiggling the thin wiring coming from the distributor to see if the engine develops the same symptoms.
If you don't get any joy from either of those two measures, go to your local Autozone and have the ECU scanned for fault codes.

nolimitnick
06-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I cleaned the iac and there are no codes causing the cel but i will try those things. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

nolimitnick
06-05-2013, 06:27 AM
monday i took the iac out and sprayed silicone on it to see if after i had cleaned it last week it was sticking. It idled better and didnt cut out the next time i drove it but yesterday morning on my way to work it was worse than before. But when i left work it didnt do it at all, and then on another trip to town it didnt do it. So i guess it was just sticking, so i have a new one on the way from rock auto. Thanks for all the input guys. I bought this jeep as a project just didnt know it was going to be a huge project as it turned out to be. I want a daily driver and needed something to haul my 2 4wheelers to the deer camp. It has been a difficult road on this jeep because everytime i go to change a part bolts keep snapping off no matter what i do. But that is just some side knowledge and more about me as im new to this site.