PDA

View Full Version : FML! Lift Advise Please.

silver_xj
06-01-2013, 12:28 AM
XJer's,

I've been researching lift specs for a few weeks now but cant seem to figure out what kit is best for my goals. I'm looking for about 3.5 inches of lift and running 31-32's. I will eventually replace the front and rear bumpers with a set from nates4x4 or equivalent. I'm looking to lift on a BUDGET and have been comparing kits from Zone, Rough Country and Rubicon Express. Note, I plan on getting full leafs as mine are flat. Duties for the rig will be trails and out door trips to lakes, campgrounds, paintball fields. etc.. Nothing to crazy unless I fall in love with Hidden falls and work lots of overtime. I guess what I'm asking for is a NO BS assessment of the various kits offered by these companies. Also this is not my DD. So far I seem to be leaning towards RE's super ride or super lift kits. Any advise is appreciated. Oh I am also tempted to try to install this myself but have a good bit of rust on the suspension bolts... Any thoughts on 4wheelparts Austin?

Mudderoy
06-01-2013, 06:04 AM
XJer's,

I've been researching lift specs for a few weeks now but cant seem to figure out what kit is best for my goals. I'm looking for about 3.5 inches of lift and running 31-32's. I will eventually replace the front and rear bumpers with a set from nates4x4 or equivalent. I'm looking to lift on a BUDGET and have been comparing kits from Zone, Rough Country and Rubicon Express. Note, I plan on getting full leafs as mine are flat. Duties for the rig will be trails and out door trips to lakes, campgrounds, paintball fields. etc.. Nothing to crazy unless I fall in love with Hidden falls and work lots of overtime. I guess what I'm asking for is a NO BS assessment of the various kits offered by these companies. Also this is not my DD. So far I seem to be leaning towards RE's super ride or super lift kits. Any advise is appreciated. Oh I am also tempted to try to install this myself but have a good bit of rust on the suspension bolts... Any thoughts on 4wheelparts Austin?

Time and time again people go with at least an inch lower than what they wind up with. 31's may be okay for a 3.5 inch lift (RE's may actually be higher) but you'll need a 4.5" lift for 32's and you'll still need to trim.

Personally I went with a 4.5" Rough Country lift. Recently I moved to 6.5" because of the 33" tires. I've only ever used Rough Country. That's on the 98 XJ and the 03 TJ. Happy with them. I hear great things about RE, however they were gone for a bit then purchased by 4WD. Might signal a stability issue since they weren't able to figure out a way to make a profit with their products. At least not enough of a profit to stay in business.

XJ Wheeler
06-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I personally have a Rubicon Express 4.5" kit, and no experience with the others. R.E. makes great kits, but not really budget friendly. Although their kits are pretty complete, and that little stuff adds up.

Keep in mind if you add bumpers, tire carrier, etc that all the extra weight lowers the vehicle. So to fit certain size tires it comes into play.

I've never dealt with the Austin store specifically but have with two of the Houston area stores. They do great work usually, but you pay dearly for it.

silver_xj
06-01-2013, 08:35 PM
I went to 4WP today and I must say I am hesitant to give them my business. After waiting in line for a bit (expected for a saturday) I finally got to the sales counter. When I told the salesman I was looking for a RE or RC lift kit with full leaf springs he informed me that they dont sell RC. Ok.. fine. I began to ask about to RE 3.5 and 4.5 kits. At this point the salesman told me the RE does not have any 3.5 kits with full leaf packs. WTF??? I guess the the can't, or didn't care to, read. I went ahead and got a quote for a 4.5 RE kit with pro comp es3000 shocks. They wanted 780 for labor to install the kit plus another 80 for alignment. Once I had my printed break down of parts and was on my way out the sales guy did inform me that there is a sale next weekend and I could probably get half off of labor. All in all my experience is fair. My quote is good for 60 days so I am going to contact Jeep Masters off of south congress and see what their prices are. If not I may try to take advantage of a potential sub 400 dollar install.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Man, labor goes high. I would gladly do it for half

silver_xj
06-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I forgot to mention that another shop "pickup truck heaven" quoted me about 550 to install the RC 4.5 x series lift lit..

XJ Wheeler
06-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Whew, i thought it would be worse from them. Back when i was searching for my R.E. 4.5" i called 4WP and was told they would only do it with a sye and driveshaft to go with it and for a total just over $3k! The kit was only $950 then, that's a lot of difference.

silver_xj
06-02-2013, 12:03 PM
They tried to get sell me a drive shaft but I said I just wanted to try a TC drop first as it comes in the kit.

XJ Wheeler
06-02-2013, 05:54 PM
They tried to get sell me a drive shaft but I said I just wanted to try a TC drop first as it comes in the kit.

Yeah, they wouldn't do it without the sye and driveshaft for me.

silver_xj
06-02-2013, 06:18 PM
The salesman wasn't that pushy with me. The only way I'll go back to them is if the 1/2 off labor /installation sale pans out. Otherwise, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

XJ Wheeler
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
The salesman wasn't that pushy with me. The only way I'll go back to them is if the 1/2 off labor /installation sale pans out. Otherwise, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Yeah, totally understandable. Even if they're nice (shops in general) and have tons of knowledge doesn't mean i can afford their service. Now, speaking from experience, whatever shop you do go with make sure their skills. Ask to see some of their work, and ask plenty of questions. The shop i had do my lift had a great price but i paid a lot more fixing their mistakes later. You could even ask for other experiences online, just take it with a grain of salt.

silver_xj
06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Well they were salesman nice and I have the knowledge and tools (minus a torch) to do the install myself. I'm just pressed for time and figured I'd get a quote thinking if its cheap enough Ill let some one else deal with rust welded bolts.

silver_xj
06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I'll be calling 4WP today or tomorrow to see if the salesman was right about the labor discount. If not I may look into a Rusty's or RC 3" kit as I do not have funds for a SYE. Any thoughts on either of these Kits with full leaf packs and matching steering stabilizer?
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.php
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html (will get LCA's seperate)

Mudderoy
06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I'll be calling 4WP today or tomorrow to see if the salesman was right about the labor discount. If not I may look into a Rusty's or RC 3" kit as I do not have funds for a SYE. Any thoughts on either of these Kits with full leaf packs and matching steering stabilizer?
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.php
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html (will get LCA's seperate)

I would go with the RC 3" with leaves, AAL is noisy and only a band aid.

Have a look at this one... Amazon.com: Rough Country 630N2 - 3-inch Suspension Lift System with Premium N2.0 Series Shocks for Jeep: Cherokee XJ 4WD: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415cZfnjauL.@@AMEPARAM@@415cZfnjauL

The nice thing about this kit is you get the full leaf packs and you can buy adjustable control arms later. The RC fixed lowers are fine, but I'd rather have something beefier upper and lower.

Brasscatz
06-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Also, you might not need an sye, I'm on about 3" without one, bigjim350 is on 6" without one. Mine is my daily driver (vibes only after 72mph) and I think bigjim's is his wifes' current DD :D don't know about vibes for him though. If it comes to it you can do a transfer case drop at a fraction of the cost of an sye. If you want more than 3", go more than 3". Almost everybody wants to go higher later and it's more expensive that way. I'm having to work my way up in incriments, but I'm getting used lift parts and not having to spend the kind of money for a new one.... or I'd still be stock :D

Mudderoy
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Rough Country is selling that kit for $509 and $65 shipping. NOT! I found it at https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/ for UPS $17 shipping to my house.

Wheel is hoping on driver's side of the 99 even after tire balance and rotate, so since the wheel bearings are new, it must be the shock. I can buy a set of new shocks for like $150(?) or just get a lift kit with shocks. Yep I ordered it. Well the girls will be happy. :D

silver_xj
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I was looking at the series II kit with the LCA's. Are yall saying it would be better to have adjustable LCA's? Also is an adjustable track bar needed?

4.3LXJ
06-07-2013, 01:27 PM
If you are planning on going higher later, then get the adjustable lower control arms and track bar. If you know you are not (yeah right) then don't

bluedragon436
06-07-2013, 01:58 PM
I would def say go with the RC Flex series kits... I have been running roughly 7.5" of lift with just a TC drop on mine with no vibe issues... and am not going to an SYE... so you could always do the SYE at a later date once you have brushed through the cost of the lift, rims/tires and install!!

XJ Wheeler
06-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Rough Country is selling that kit for $509 and $65 shipping. NOT! I found it at https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/ for UPS $17 shipping to my house.

Wheel is hoping on driver's side of the 99 even after tire balance and rotate, so since the wheel bearings are new, it must be the shock. I can buy a set of new shocks for like $150(?) or just get a lift kit with shocks. Yep I ordered it. Well the girls will be happy. :D

Does this mean... 3 lifted jeep family?!?! :D Just need one more and we'll be tied.

silver_xj
06-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Today I called up a local Jeep shop placed the order for my lift kit. I ended up going with http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.php with replacement leaf packs. Now I'll be on the look out for some wheels and tires. I found a set of 16x8 Rubicon wheels and wonder if anyone has run them? I like the way they look but If I've done my homework correctly they well be short on BS since they are 5" BS. Also they are about the same cost for a used set of 4 compared to a new set of alloys. Is there a pro's and con's list of running rubi wheels?

Mudderoy
06-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Today I called up a local Jeep shop placed the order for my lift kit. I ended up going with http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.php with replacement leaf packs. Now I'll be on the look out for some wheels and tires. I found a set of 16x8 Rubicon wheels and wonder if anyone has run them? I like the way they look but If I've done my homework correctly they well be short on BS since they are 5" BS. Also they are about the same cost for a used set of 4 compared to a new set of alloys. Is there a pro's and con's list of running rubi wheels?

Congrats. Remember we'd like to see some pictures, before and after at least. :popcorn:

silver_xj
06-11-2013, 11:00 AM
ill try to get some. please be kind as I have the front bumper off and will be running stock wheels for another two weeks.

4.3LXJ
06-11-2013, 12:06 PM
o problem with the kindness. A build is a build and they don't happen in 5 minutes

silver_xj
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
lol. you mean it cant be done in 5 min... unacceptable!

XJ Wheeler
06-11-2013, 03:51 PM
ill try to get some. please be kind as I have the front bumper off and will be running stock wheels for another two weeks.

No worries. Been there.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/2011-06-15221606-2.jpg

Brasscatz
06-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm still there lol

silver_xj
06-11-2013, 08:26 PM
alright alright. yall talk ed me into posting pics. ill toss up a pic and before measurements soon. lift measurements go from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare right?

4.3LXJ
06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Right

XJ Wheeler
06-11-2013, 10:02 PM
You might also want to get measurements to the bottom of the body line in case you cut the fenders later on.

silver_xj
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
You might also want to get measurements to the bottom of the body line in case you cut the fenders later on.

I do like the look of no body side moulding and cut and folded fenders... hmmm....

4.3LXJ
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
We have both stock measurements in the How To Section

silver_xj
06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
I'll have to revisit that section as I'm curious how bad my stock leaves really are.

XJ Wheeler
06-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Here's the thread.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

silver_xj
06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can get some pics and measurements this weekend.

silver_xj
06-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Just got back from the Jeep shop. The XJ will stay there for a day or two to get lifted. Here is a stock pic for those that asked.
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3904/2anr.jpg

XJ Wheeler
06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Wanted one exactly like that since they were new.

silver_xj
06-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver and green are my two favorite colors for XJ's

XJ Wheeler
06-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver and green are my two favorite colors for XJ's

Both good colors. Blue is awesome too ;)

silver_xj
06-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Got the Jeep back today. First impressions of the RC series II 3" Lift are very good. The ride is much better than the worn out factory parts. The shop said the install wasn't that bad but rust caused both end links to break. The only con is that I have some slight vibes on accel under 30 mph but I'm hoping that will go away when everything settles. If you are thinking about this lift get back to me in a few weeks and I'll let you know how I feel about it then. I'll post pics soon.

silver_xj
06-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Well I can now confirm that my vibes around 30 mph are on acel and decel. Not sure what would cause that.

4.3LXJ
06-21-2013, 11:56 PM
The late XJs are very finicky with lifts. Not that it is incurable. We have a how to on setting driveline pinion angles. You should review that. Also it would be a good idea to pull the driveline and grease the splines. That alone can cure some vibes

silver_xj
06-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I thought the kit would have came with shims if needed? I'll get under and grease everything this weekend since I have a little more room to work under there now.

Mudderoy
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Well I can now confirm that my vibes around 30 mph are on acel and decel. Not sure what would cause that.

Hmmm I would check for play in the rear drive shaft.

I just had a look at the full leaf springs that came with the 3" kit I just purchased. It does have shims installed. Now remind me, did you get the AAL or the full leaf springs?

silver_xj
06-22-2013, 10:13 AM
I got the full kit.

Mudderoy
06-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I got the full kit.

You should be able to see the shims on there then. I bet you have another problem like a bad u-joint that is making itself known because of the new drive line angles. Just a guess, of course.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Did you add extended shackles?

silver_xj
06-23-2013, 07:33 AM
I had stock shackles put on as the original ones were rusted out. I'll grease and check everything here in a bit.

silver_xj
06-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Greased everything up. 1 fitting on the front drive shaft, 1 track bar and 2 tie rod ends. Is there anything else? Crap.. Forgot to check for shims..

Edit - Shims are there