PDA

View Full Version : No Crank

Klaatu55
05-31-2013, 10:20 AM
My 1999 4.0 won't start by key. The remote start will start the jeep. But s soon as I hit the brake to shift into drive the engine cuts off. I'm thinking key circuit for start is separate from remote circuit for start and the switch over goes to dead circuit. Checked fuses under hood. in process of checking inside fuses. need to move jeep within the hour if possible. Is there a temp work around to move car?

LizardRunner
05-31-2013, 03:51 PM
you could hot wire it from the column.

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
My 1999 4.0 won't start by key. The remote start will start the jeep. But s soon as I hit the brake to shift into drive the engine cuts off. I'm thinking key circuit for start is separate from remote circuit for start and the switch over goes to dead circuit. Checked fuses under hood. in process of checking inside fuses. need to move jeep within the hour if possible. Is there a temp work around to move car?

That's how my remote start works. If I turn the key to the run position, then hit the brake it stays running. If yours should work that way I'd say you have an ignition switch issue, or the wiring (relay) between it and the ECM is faulty.

Klaatu55
05-31-2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah its like you say. Normally, once I put key in and turn to run, I can press brake and put it i gear. Now the engine shuts down. as if no key is in ignition.Thanks All, Now that I have a little time,I will attempt to find correct relay to test and pull and test ignition switch.

Brasscatz
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm assuming that your remote start is part of an aftermarket alarm system. It sounds to me that part of the anti-theft is malfunctioning and the kill switch isn't being disengaged and the alarm isn't fully disarming.

Klaatu55
06-01-2013, 12:50 AM
I hope that's not it. I know nothing about this alarm i bought it a month after I bought car in 2000. It,s been working good since. I 'm hoping for replacement of ignition switch or relay. I think I've changed ignition switch before. need to find ecm relay should be apparent.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Your problem is not the usual. I really think is is an alarm problem

Klaatu55
06-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Been reading few post about periodic troubles with ignition switches due to breakage and /or being out of adjustment. Wonder if they match my symptoms?

Klaatu55
06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Alarm installer swears it couldn't be alarm.(because it means his alarm is at fault) Mechanics swears it must be ignition because he doesn't do alarms)

well push comes to shove,I do ignitions and alarms. I changed ignition switch and actuator pin assembly. Not sure which one was at fault. I had the steering column open. so I changed them both. voila, Truck came alive. Will test them separately when I get time. Thanks to all for suggestions.