PDA

View Full Version : Squeel coming front AC fly wheel

dagod16
05-31-2013, 02:42 AM
New belt about a year ago, nothings broken. It chirps once in a while when I am driving, when I speed up. And sometimes when I start the jeep up it will really squeel then stop. Any thoughts?

Also I'm about to drive 6 hours to Kentucky pulling a camper. Does anyone have any special tools in the trunk they take, or an extra belt? I've got the jumper cables and some plyers and this time I am bringing a socket set.

Thanks

jeepin_idaho
05-31-2013, 07:47 AM
I had the same problem just a few weeks ago. When the AC clutch goes you have to replace the whole AC compressor. I picked one from a junk yard for $135 and put it on and a new belt and haven't had an issue since. I need to recharge the AC system though still. One of the kits from any auto parts shop or Walmart should do the trick once I'm ready to do the job.

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 09:13 AM
New belt about a year ago, nothings broken. It chirps once in a while when I am driving, when I speed up. And sometimes when I start the jeep up it will really squeel then stop. Any thoughts?

Also I'm about to drive 6 hours to Kentucky pulling a camper. Does anyone have any special tools in the trunk they take, or an extra belt? I've got the jumper cables and some plyers and this time I am bringing a socket set.

Thanks

You need to tighten the belt.

4.3LXJ
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes, tighten the belt

jeepin_idaho
05-31-2013, 09:55 AM
For sure, adjusting belt tension is the first option, if that doesn't help then you know the next few steps.

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

denverd1
05-31-2013, 10:01 AM
tightening is done with power steering pump right?

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
tightening is done with power steering pump right?

I had to think about this one, but yes I guess it is. It's behind the pump but I suppose it is all part of the same piece.

4.3LXJ
05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes. The power steering pump will move. Three bolts, one behind to loosen it and one to adjust it

denverd1
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
thx. mine's starting to squeal a bit when I've got the A/c on. I'll give it a tighten

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Well I had to think a little more... There is an idler pulley just below the power steering unit. You have to loose the bolt that is running thru it, then you'll be able to adjust the tension by turning the bolt head that points down behind the power steering pump and is next to the thermostat housing.

Once you have the belt to the proper tightness you tighten the idler pulley bolt.

Now Matt can loose that idler pulley bolt with the electric fan in, I have to take it out.

dagod16
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
it's pretty tight already but I guess I could tighten it more.

Does anyone carry a spare belt with them when they travel just in case. Ive never had a belt break.

Also I got a new compressor about 2 1/2 years ago.
Thanks

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 12:53 PM
it's pretty tight already but I guess I could tighten it more.

Does anyone carry a spare belt with them when they travel just in case. Ive never had a belt break.

Also I got a new compressor about 2 1/2 years ago.
Thanks

I thought you bought one of those belt tightening measuring tools. Put that on there and make sure it's tight enough.

I've never had a belt fail, however if your A/C clutch locks up it will melt through the belt pretty quick. Best thing to do it turn off the A/C but the damage may have already been done.

A spare belt wouldn't be a bad idea, however something that has failed on me before it the lower radiator hose. I'll throw in a upper, a lower and new hose clamps. Couple of quarts of oil and a gallon of anti-freeze 50/50. An air compressor and some fix flat. Maybe some fuses.