PDA

View Full Version : My first time offroading in the jeep!!

Andrew XJ
05-29-2013, 10:05 PM
So today my dad and I had some free time and I convinced him to go offroading with me. So we only had about an hour, I took him to what the locals The Sandpit. The sandpit it about 6 miles of rolling sand hills. The sandpit has a 60* hill at the entrance of the sandpit that is very soft, the rule is "If you can't make it up the hill you can't bring your car or truck in". This is because it only gets worse the further back you go. Anyway my jeep is on firestone LE's (street tires) and I somehow made it without spinning my tires but, we rode back about a mile and ding,ding,ding,ding, the low fuel light came on and we had to go. But on the way out I got some good pictures. Not surprising trailing in the jeep was the most fun I've had in awhile.

Did anybody else do any trail riding?

4.3LXJ
05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Congrats Andrew. Lots of fun eh? Yes a couple of us went wheeling this last weekend. Check our trail section and also area forums at the bottom of the forum page

Andrew XJ
05-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Awesome will do thanks.

XJ Wheeler
05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I would certainly like to. Just time, jeep's not ready, and figuring out where to go.

Nice job breakin the jeep in off the beaten path.

And so it begins. Enjoy the illness. ;)

Andrew XJ
05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Since I already have a thread started. In some spots I was spinning in 4HI and the speedo said 40. Is there a speed I should not exceed in 4HI? I don't have a full time box I only have part time 4 wheel drive.

4.3LXJ
05-29-2013, 10:55 PM
No speed limits in 4Hi

LizardRunner
05-31-2013, 04:11 PM
I always thought that the limit is the floor board in 4-Hi. I've been up to 90 in 4-Hi with the green lizard and with the new WJ I've been up to 95.

Andrew XJ
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
I always thought that the limit is the floor board in 4-Hi. I've been up to 90 in 4-Hi with the green lizard and with the new WJ I've been up to 95.
I just didn't know because none of the research that I've done on Jeeps before I bought a Jeep said anything about a limit in 4 wheel drive. I was just making sure I didn't take anything out because my Bronco you go over 35 a kick itself out of 4 hi. but thanks for letting me know guys actually helps a lot.

4.3LXJ
05-31-2013, 07:09 PM
One other thing about your trip. Street tires aired down to 15psi work very well on sand. It will not hurt them to drive a few miles on pavement at that pressure either.

Andrew XJ
06-01-2013, 11:37 PM
like most things off road it doesn't look that bad until you get up to it. And this sand is so loose that if you spin tires even for one second you will be sitting on your axles.

the worst part is that there's a downhill section right before that insane up hill, but at the bottom of the hill so that you can't use any momentum to get up the hill you have to do it from a dead stop.

prcjeep
06-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the Jeep Club! Sand is an interesting beast at times... if you get distracted and of course you can be stuck in a second... I went to Padre island national seashore this weekend in my brothers 2011 F150 and our friend drove his 4 door JK. 60 Miles of "4x4 only" restricted sand trails... took us four hours(night) to get to the jetty where we fished and 3 hours(day) to get back out.. didnt get stuck at all but lots of debris and deep sand to watch for kept our speeds below 15 on the way in. Soon as I swap out my yoke on the front diff I'll have my 4x4 back.

Andrew XJ
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I was going to try to go down to the sand pit today, but it has been raining pretty hard on and off and I don't have the experience but I think it would take to get back there and out without getting Stuck. and because this is the only vehicle that my pops and I have I cannot risk getting stuck or tearing it up trying to get unstuck.

prerunner1982
06-03-2013, 05:36 PM
I cannot risk getting stuck or tearing it up trying to get unstuck.

and that sir is why you don't wheel alone. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the sickness for which there is no cure.

Andrew XJ
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
and that sir is why you don't wheel alone. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the sickness for which there is no cure.
what sucks is my only friend that has a vehicle capable of going back in that area sold his truck to get a motorcycle. one of my friends has an F 250 but its so heavy that everytime he goes back down there he sinks. I don't know maybe next time I go down there I'll post on the form and see if anybody wants to go trail ride with me. on the upside I do have to comealongs rated for 9000 pounds and a block and tackle system and about 200 foot with a heavy duty tow rope. the only part that worries me if the flat area that's nothing but sand because if I'm going up the hill if I get stuck all I'll have to do is put it in reverse gravity is going to help me and if I'm going downhill I just shouldn't get stuck in first place.

XJ Wheeler
06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I was going to try to go down to the sand pit today, but it has been raining pretty hard on and off and I don't have the experience but I think it would take to get back there and out without getting Stuck. and because this is the only vehicle that my pops and I have I cannot risk getting stuck or tearing it up trying to get unstuck.

Off topic, but i just wanted to applaud you for having some sense and taking that responsibility seriously. :thumbsup: A lot don't seem to these days.

bulrid8
06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I just didn't know because none of the research that I've done on Jeeps before I bought a Jeep said anything about a limit in 4 wheel drive. I was just making sure I didn't take anything out because my Bronco you go over 35 a kick itself out of 4 hi. but thanks for letting me know guys actually helps a lot.

Your TC in the bronco was messed up. I have run Broncos at 90mph in 4hi and never had a glitch!

Carves
06-03-2013, 09:30 PM
X2 with XJ Wheeler ... so good onya for being a bit wary.

Ive got a mostly immaculate condition, parts wreck here, that I bought cheap - coz someone apparrently thought, 4x4 = unstoppable .. :rolleyes:

Since your just starting out with the XJ .... Its not a bad idea to initially, consider the 4wd feature of the vehicle ... as a recovery system for when you are stuck in 2wd.

Many make the mistake and think 4x4 means, go anywhere ... and thats not always the case ...

i.e. If you need 4wd to get through a section ... then in worse weather conditions etc,. ... it might be handy having 6x6 on the transfercase lever .. ;);) .. :D

More time behind the wheel and you will develop a sense of ground appreciation ... so you know what you and the vehicle can do.

As many find ... you will probably want to do more ... and will then change the vehicle away from stock settings/components ... to achieve that.

The XJ is a pretty capable little buggy tho ... even in stock form ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/250411c.jpg

yeah yeah ... stop laughing you lot ... I know thats pretty tame terrain .. :D

Andrew XJ
06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
X2 with XJ Wheeler ... so good onya for being a bit wary.

Ive got a mostly immaculate condition, parts wreck here, that I bought cheap - coz someone apparrently thought, 4x4 = unstoppable .. :rolleyes:

Since your just starting out with the XJ .... Its not a bad idea to initially, consider the 4wd feature of the vehicle ... as a recovery system for when you are stuck in 2wd.

Many make the mistake and think 4x4 means, go anywhere ... and thats not always the case ...

i.e. If you need 4wd to get through a section ... then in worse weather conditions etc,. ... it might be handy having 6x6 on the transfercase lever .. ;);) .. :D

More time behind the wheel and you will develop a sense of ground appreciation ... so you know what you and the vehicle can do.

As many find ... you will probably want to do more ... and will then change the vehicle away from stock settings/components ... to achieve that.

The XJ is a pretty capable little buggy tho ... even in stock form ...

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/250411c.jpg

yeah yeah ... stop laughing you lot ... I know thats pretty tame terrain .. :D

on a completely unrelated note have you posted videos on YouTube of your Jeep. because I've been watching a lot of videos on stock XJ and yours looks strangely familiar.

I do know that four by four does not mean indestructible, but I also have respect for what it is capable of.

Carves
06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
YouTube ..:eek:

I'm flat out managing photobucket with still shots .. :D

Might have been some other aussie XJ ??

That alloy bumper is reasonably common down here ... and red is a good colour choice .. :D

Andrew XJ
06-03-2013, 09:57 PM

That alloy bumper is reasonably common down here ... and red is a good colour choice .. :D
would you happen to know the website where I could buy that bumper some actually like that bumper a lot

Carves
06-03-2013, 10:13 PM
would you happen to know the website where I could buy that bumper some actually like that bumper a lot

Dunno whether your wallet could stand the strain.

Theres a few similiar on e-bay AU for about $700 used .. :bang:

The alloy ones are generally a once use item ... bounce a skippy (kangaroo) off it and it springs/crumples, absorbing the impact ... but they are less weight on the suspension than steel bars .. ;)

Not the best item for bouncing around on rocks or trees tho.

If you're after a full brush bar with a bit of strength and looks about it ... You would probably be better off getting a steel ARB bar from a U.S. supplier ... since they are cheaper in america than here :bang:

denverd1
06-04-2013, 01:58 PM

Hmmm :rolleyes: RED

Andrew have fun my man! Glad you're enjoying yourself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

TimmyTXJ
06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
I would certainly like to. Just time, jeep's not ready, and figuring out where to go.

Nice job breakin the jeep in off the beaten path.

And so it begins. Enjoy the illness. ;)

I'll go wheelin' with you Jake. Haven't taken my little Jeep out yet and I'd love to go... the trouble is finding the time.

Congrats on your first outing Andrew!

XJ Wheeler
06-05-2013, 04:01 AM
I'll go wheelin' with you Jake. Haven't taken my little Jeep out yet and I'd love to go... the trouble is finding the time.

Congrats on your first outing Andrew!

Just got a few more things to do to get it ready, then, game... on! Oh yeah, time... Hmmm, might have to start planning something and get my rear in gear. :D