PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

Killerjoke
05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
My power steering pump was leaking so I installed a remanufactured from advance auto because it was cheaper then all the used ones I could find. I am not new to working on vehicles but just wanted to throw this out there.
After installing the new pump I started up the Cherokee and had no power steering at all. Any ideas other then the new pump is bad? it wouldn't be the first time I had to install a new part twice.
I installed both new lines, new belt and new pump.
Thanks

95 Jeep Cherokee sport 6 cyl 4X4

4.3LXJ
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Jack up the front wheels and run the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock. It should bleed the air out of the system. Make sure you fill it with oil as needed when doing this

Mountain Goat
05-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Jack up the front wheels and run the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock. It should bleed the air out of the system. Make sure you fill it with oil as needed when doing this

Then let it sit overnight to allow all of the tiny air bubbles to go away, re-check the fluid and repeat the above process.

ParadiseXJ
05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Did you remove the caps inside the lines/ports?

Killerjoke
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the help. It was a bad pump.

Carves
06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Just to save starting another thread on the same topic ...

An XJ driver down here is having similiar issues .... as described below.

So I have a new (reman) power steering pump installed in my 1996 XJ. I replaced my pump because it was sounding pretty noisy after a recent 4x4 trip involving lots of water crossings. I also got a new pulley with it.

I poured in about 400mL of steering fluid and the reservoir was full so I figured it was time to bleed. I started it up and it whirrs something awful. Turning wheels side to side did nothing; no bubbles, no lowering of fluid. So I killed the engine and called it a night.

Next I tried disconnecting the return and running it into a bucket. Repeat bleed process with engine off and front end raised. Went through another 500mL of so of fluid (with some exiting into the bucket, though I estimate less came out than what I poured in - good sign).

Now I've tried repeating the bleed process multiple times, engine off and engine running. But the pump is still whirring quite loud and I seem to have zero power assist... Occasionally I see the odd tiny bubbles in there, suggesting air, but no lowering of reservoir level.

any more thoughts and ideas ???

4.3LXJ
06-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Two thoughts come to mind. First it could be galled from not bleeding the pump properly on installation. Second, what counts as a rebuild nowadays is questionable. The right way to do this is do what he did after it didn't work. Jack it up and steer wheels back and forth with out power to the pump before starting. That way you have oil in it before starting. All the pump consists of is a bunch of rollers trapping oil and taking to another port. Everything has to be smooth in there

Killerjoke
06-10-2013, 07:28 PM
The first pump I had I followed the correct proceeders. Second pump work great but thats what I get when you buy cheap rebuild pumps it wasn't the first time.

Carves
06-10-2013, 07:53 PM
The first pump I had I followed the correct proceeders. Second pump work great but thats what I get when you buy cheap rebuild pumps it wasn't the first time.

Waiting to hear supply details from him ... Unfortunately its a long swim from down here to exchange dud parts - so hoping thats not the problem.

XjJeepacorn
06-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I broke my nub and super glued it back on... Confession of a Jeepacorn lol I have a spare pump from the jy and I was like nah! Lol to much work! And why throw away a perfectly good pump!
Sorry just sayin' :)

TehHamsteh
06-11-2013, 04:09 AM
If I had to guess I'd say it was a Lares 2720 Reman from RockAuto.

Thanks for your help Carves, and G'day everyone else - in case you haven't guessed its my poor Jeep that's lacking power steering right now.

Appreciate all the replies so far!

Cheers,
Hamsteh

TehHamsteh
06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Well after some advice from NAXJA, I tried removing high pressure output and spinning the pulley by hand. Zero flow, regardless of direct it is spun or how fast. That sounds a lot like a dud pump to me.... Unless there's something I'm missing I think I'm going to have to contact rockauto and see what they're willing to do for me... darn.

4.3LXJ
06-15-2013, 08:31 AM
OK, it is dead