PDA

View Full Version : RPM's seem a bit higher now that I have new plugs

dagod16
05-28-2013, 09:58 PM
The gap on the old plugs were between .040 to .052 instead of .035. Now the engine seem to run at a bit higher RPM.

What RPM's should I be shifting at for each gear. I feel either it is now running at normal or correct way since I go new plugs or I did something wrong.

Your thoughts

Thanks

Rob

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 10:07 PM
It's really hard to say because the shift points are going to be different depending on how you drive it. For example, it will shift much differently when you gradually get up to speed than it will if you stomp the pedal to the floor. You can try to adjust the kickdown cable and see how it helps. I know the video says grand cherokee, but it's the same process

http://youtu.be/TH4UV2HrD1w

dagod16
05-28-2013, 10:27 PM
I just adjusted it on my jeep. I won't really know until tom morning when I drive to work. but we shall see. It was even more simple on my 2001 jeep than in the video. On my 2001 jeep, they have a button you depress and it allows the cable to move freely. Mine was off by a 1/4 of an inch. Not much but sometimes that is all it takes.

But making it tighter won't that make the rpms go up higher?

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
If I recall correctly, no. But it sounds like it was definitely off. I posted the GC video because it's more in depth, this is probably more like what you did:

http://youtu.be/I7A7k2ZGvMQ

dagod16
05-29-2013, 10:21 AM
That's exactly what I did. I adjusted it and it works fine. No more high RPM's, sounds normal and shifts at a lower rpm. Much better.

How much would the stealership have charged me for such a simple task. Probably 100 bucks.

I love this website. I have saved so much money and learned so many things because of this website.

Rob

Mudderoy
05-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the TPS and ECM should set the RPM. If the RPM has changed then a sensor is sending the wrong information to the ECM.

dagod16
05-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Now your talking a foreign language

Andrew XJ
05-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the TPS and ECM should set the RPM. If the RPM has changed then a sensor is sending the wrong information to the ECM.
Yes you are correct, but I believe his problem was that the transmission was holding gears longer. The kickdown being incorrectly adjusted will trick the trans into believing that the throttle is open more. When the throttle is open more the trans holds gears longer to accelerate faster and more efficiently.
I had to do all kinds of transmission kickdown adjustments when I replaced the motor and trans in my bronco.

dagod16
05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
It seems to run fine