PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad transmission mount

XJ Wheeler
05-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Okay, so i'm pretty sure i already know the answer but i want the opinions of the experts. :D

So, i've been getting a clunking during take off and just assumed it was the rear exhaust hanger since i reworked it and and has been loosening some. I've been checking on it often though and its still tight but i still heard the clunking. I mounted the little dvr on the front of the fuel tank skid to test it viewing underneath toward the front. Just a fluke i was reviewing the footage and caught a glimpse of something alarming (to me).

At around 1:43 you can see i have halted at a stop sign and take off. At that point you can see the t-case moving side to side. Bad trans mount, right? I did get under there and look at it, and the rubber does seem soft. As well, the i think its collapsed some because the exhaust is ALMOST touching the cross member. This is now where i think i am getting the clunking.

http://youtu.be/3c0HqiB-p28

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
HOLY CRAP....Yea that COULD be a combination of both bad tranny mount as well as bad motor mounts.... I would look at or swap them all out.

XJ Wheeler
05-24-2013, 03:08 PM
I have given the motor mounts a glance but yeah, i need to get a closer look. It idle and runs smooth though.

Carves
05-25-2013, 03:39 AM
That little camera is earning its keep .. :thumbsup:

I'd be tempted to check engine and gearbox mounts after seeing that .. ;)

XJ Wheeler
05-26-2013, 05:46 AM
That little camera is earning its keep .. :thumbsup:

Yup. Gave it a good scare strapping it underneath, held up like a champ though.

Brasscatz
05-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Crap Jake, I forgot... There was a transmission mount off that blue xj that we already pulled at the junk yard! Dang it!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
05-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Crap Jake, I forgot... There was a transmission mount off that blue xj that we already pulled at the junk yard! Dang it!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Lol, no worries. Probably best to go with new anyways, so i'm not doing this again a few months done the road.

XJ Wheeler
05-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Okay, i picked up a new trans mount. Got a question. Should i be using loctite on the bolts to hold on the mount due to vibrations?

Brasscatz
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't think you need to. I know I didn't and haven't had any problems

XJ Wheeler
05-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Cool, thanks bro.