PDA

View Full Version : LED conversion

bcrosson92
05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
i have a red xj with the chrome package. i need help deciding what color leds to use on my interior. i like the idea of green just because its different but im not sure about being the xmas jeep. i like pink for the same reason. but it seems alot of ppl do red and blue and white conversions. any ideas are good.

Brasscatz
05-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Hmmm... How about yellow? Purple?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

bcrosson92
05-24-2013, 07:53 AM
yellow as in Amber or real yellow? i did think purple also. i dont want it to look dumb mixed with the red body you know

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
so are you talking about accent lighting, or using LED's to replace the existing lighting like the dome light/dash lights/instrument cluster/switch lights etc....?
If you're talking about auxiliary accent lighting, then go with whatever you feel will benefit the theme of your Jeep or is more "your style"
....but if you're talking about replacing all the back lighting of the instruments and bezel/etc....then I would stick with something that is close to what is there already, or go with a soft white.
Of course I believe the dome light should always be left white, as it's most functional.... You ever try searching for a lost cell phone under a seat with red light? Or try reading the red lines on a map with a red light..... see where I'm going here?
In any case, be sure to post up pics of what you decide to go with.

Brasscatz
05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
I was thinking real yellow. You could even throw blue in and go for a superman theme.

Josh... Who uses real maps anymore??? lol

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
I was thinking real yellow. You could even throw blue in and go for a superman theme.

Josh... Who uses real maps anymore??? lol

Out here in Oregon, at our most popular wheeling spot on the west side of the state (Tillamook State Forest OHV) The whole trail system is available in (paper) map format only....
I know... its a bit "old-school"

4.3LXJ
05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
I use maps all the time. Part of the repertoire. Going to do a podcast on that :D

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
I have a GPS that I'm going to fit into my dash I'm thinking move the deck down and relocate the ac controls etc or just get rid of the deck all together because I have Sirius. We'll see :) I like old fashioned maps too I always buy one when I'm away from home

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a GPS that I'm going to fit into my dash I'm thinking move the deck down and relocate the ac controls etc or just get rid of the deck all together because I have Sirius. We'll see :) I like old fashioned maps too I always buy one when I'm away from home

Not to hijack, but I have been doing research on installing the newer generation factory head units that have built in navigation/gps.
These have a factory look (obviously) and fit into the existing Din-and-a-half opening that is in our late models already...... now for you older model guys/gals....well your S.O.L. (neener neener)

4.3LXJ
05-24-2013, 11:02 AM
not quite :D

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Well my centre console is far from stock it is full of switches and I re located the us/m buttons and the two centre Air ducts are gone and I put my cb there lol

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm a fan of the red I ordered red LEDs and I sprayed my dash red the same red as my jeep lol

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I have it all out again right now thinking about how I'm going to make this GPS thing work! And just a thought, wouldn't the newer head units be controlled by the computer? That may make you sol right there

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes & no, To get the GPS/Navi to work, they have an antenna that needs to be stashed somewhere, but also receive info from the tach sense to act as a VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) ...this calculates the vehicles speed and compares it to the positioning info from the GPS.
Other than that it's basically just power/ground/ignition, and the usual audio connections....... or so my research has found.
I'm still diggin in to this, hence why have yet to pull the trigger on the mod.

Mudderoy
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Red helps maintain your night vision.
Amber was found to be the best color for monitors (you know back with monitors were just one color) because it was the best in keeping eye strain down.

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:32 AM
That's what I was thinking (on my gage cluster) I thought about blue it looks good too but I've seen allot more people use blue I ordered a pack of 10 of eBay for like 6 or 10 bucks ... Can't remember exactly.

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes & no, To get the GPS/Navi to work, they have an antenna that needs to be stashed somewhere, but also receive info from the tach sense to act as a VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) ...this calculates the vehicles speed and compares it to the positioning info from the GPS.
Other than that it's basically just power/ground/ignition, and the usual audio connections....... or so my research has found.
I'm still diggin in to this, hence why have yet to pull the trigger on the mod.

Cool keep us updated!

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
i have a red xj with the chrome package. i need help deciding what color leds to use on my interior. i like the idea of green just because its different but im not sure about being the xmas jeep. i like pink for the same reason. but it seems alot of ppl do red and blue and white conversions. any ideas are good.

You haven't seen Xmas jeep until you take a look at my build thread on Jeepacornforum lol my poor jeep all the trim was green!

4.3LXJ
05-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I have it all out again right now thinking about how I'm going to make this GPS thing work! And just a thought, wouldn't the newer head units be controlled by the computer? That may make you sol right there

This is what I did instead. Works well and I don't have to modify the dash

Brasscatz
05-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I was just giving ya a hard time. I'm gonna use paper on my vacation

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
This is what I did instead. Works well and I don't have to modify the dash

I like modify things and like I said before my unit is has switches and stuff!

XJ Wheeler
05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I think red to match the vehicle, personally. And like Josh said, white for the overhead lighting. Another option for the gauge cluster, i did this but i will warn you its a bit more complicated than the bulb swap.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/2012-01-02204353-1-1.jpg

NW99XJ
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
iS THAT AN AZZY DESIGNS CLUSTER OVERLAY?

Azzy
05-24-2013, 05:28 PM
iS THAT AN AZZY DESIGNS CLUSTER OVERLAY?

Not one of mine, that looks to be one of the Indiglo type options out there.

XJ Wheeler
05-24-2013, 05:29 PM
No, its an ebay find.

Azzy
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I run 2 of these in my dome light: http://www.oznium.com/premium-led-module

they hadnle dimming without burning out so far, and with one of the longer light bars behind my sound bar instead of the stock light, the battery does not drain anywhere near as much if the hatch left open.

Now in the dash, ive found the XJ electrical system (combined with bumps and rough driving) to destroy the wedge type replacements. Ideally you would need a 9-14v LED with a heatsink. They exist, but cost too much to make it worth it, IMHO.

(Im on my 3rd set of dash LEDs in the 96XJ, 2nd in the wife's 01)

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I think red to match the vehicle, personally. And like Josh said, white for the overhead lighting. Another option for the gauge cluster, i did this but i will warn you its a bit more complicated than the bulb swap.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/2012-01-02204353-1-1.jpg

I have a spare gage cluster so if I screw it up I have a back up :)

XjJeepacorn
05-24-2013, 07:05 PM
I run 2 of these in my dome light: http://www.oznium.com/premium-led-module

they hadnle dimming without burning out so far, and with one of the longer light bars behind my sound bar instead of the stock light, the battery does not drain anywhere near as much if the hatch left open.

Now in the dash, ive found the XJ electrical system (combined with bumps and rough driving) to destroy the wedge type replacements. Ideally you would need a 9-14v LED with a heatsink. They exist, but cost too much to make it worth it, IMHO.

(Im on my 3rd set of dash LEDs in the 96XJ, 2nd in the wife's 01)

Think of it like this, how much have you spent replacing them 3 times so far... May be worth dishing out some extra coin

Azzy
05-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Think of it like this, how much have you spent replacing them 3 times so far... May be worth dishing out some extra coin

Thats why I went back to normal bulbs, and why I tell others asking about it ;)

XjJeepacorn
05-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Cool lol

Paddletrucker
05-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I use maps all the time. Part of the repertoire. Going to do a podcast on that :D

Every year, I buy a huge motor carrier's atlas. I like GPS, but something about having a huge page to look at comforts me.

Carves
05-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Every year, I buy a huge motor carrier's atlas. I like GPS, but something about having a huge page to look at comforts me.

Me too ... I like to see where I started, where I am, and where Im going ... rather than just where I am - on a 2" screen.

Full page Topo maps rule .. :D

bcrosson92
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I wanna do the interior lighting and exterior like the taillights and all. I have hid headlights so tho use won't be LEDs. I really like that cluster though. IDC about if the lighting inside is practical or not. but I don't want it to look stupid. more like bad ass xj. I want it to end up far from stock but like it looks nothing like an xj. one that ppl who know xjs go damn.

bcrosson92
05-27-2013, 05:21 PM
I found a cluster overlay on eBay in red good idea? idk really need some pictures I guess to decide what direction to go

Brasscatz
05-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I found a cluster overlay on eBay in red good idea? idk really need some pictures I guess to decide what direction to go

Honestly, I'd check out what Azzy has or at least what he can do custom for you before you go the ebay route. He's got super high quality instrument cluster overlays for an AWESOME price. I'd buy from him before I'd buy from a stranger on ebay. Send him a pm and also check out what he has available on his site: http://www.AzzysDesignWorks.com

XJ Wheeler
05-28-2013, 03:23 AM
The custom design option that Azzy offers would really intrigue me. To make it personalized, one of a kind. Like if you have a name for the jeep, it could be put on there. With flames. Okay, i'm stopping before i empty my wallet. ;)

Azzy
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
The custom design option that Azzy offers would really intrigue me. To make it personalized, one of a kind. Like if you have a name for the jeep, it could be put on there. With flames. Okay, i'm stopping before i empty my wallet. ;)

Not to thread Hijack, but the ability to customize is the reason I do what I do :) Shoot me a PM with what you want to do, and I can assure you that we can keep it light on the wallet.

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Nice work Azzy :)

bcrosson92
05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I really like azzy's work. any one have pictures of the cluster and the led light swap

Azzy
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Here is one of my setup with the LEDs from a customer. The stock setup is meant to radiate light to the sides. LEDs (at least most in this application) are meant to radiate light mostly forward.

http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/#!untitled/zoom/mainPage/image1tv3

Now that is a bit of an exaggeration because of the low light and the shutter speed, but it illustrates what I was telling Xjjeepacorn earlier.

Basically, the cluster on either is made to bounce light from the side of the bulb and then to your eyes. Modern cars that have in dash LED setups are setup with them in mind. Its sort of like those trucklite LED headlights. Cool idea, but not as good of a light throw as a filament bulb (in an XJ application).

Might i ask why everyone wants to go to LED? I have original bulbs still burning strong in my 96. They arent exactly pulling up a lot of amperage compared to most things in the jeep either. Is it the color?

bcrosson92
05-28-2013, 07:29 PM
yes. the color. and its just one more thing we can change. so we can say we built the jeep. I have stock ones still to.

Azzy
05-28-2013, 07:36 PM
yes. the color. and its just one more thing we can change. so we can say we built the jeep. I have stock ones still to.

Well, for a 97+ you got 2 options. Try and overpower the stock green, or one of the replacement gauge faces. I know of 2. mine, and a set of well made but very expensive ones from a different manufacturer.

Some people are fine with just putting in as strong as a lgiht as they can and living with the blue / green tint.

The 96 and prior bounce off the bezel. Since teh tic marks are white, they will pick up some light. With those, you are much better off cooking up a strip of light like Gojeep did here: http://go.jeep-xj.info/Whitebground.htm , probably better done with a strip or 3 of LEDs.

(yes, I know, he sells similar to what I do. Nice guy, but I use better materials and cut them for you ;) )

bcrosson92
05-28-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a 1990. I wanna do custom gauges just don't know what to design

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Here is one of my setup with the LEDs from a customer. The stock setup is meant to radiate light to the sides. LEDs (at least most in this application) are meant to radiate light mostly forward.

http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/#!untitled/zoom/mainPage/image1tv3

Now that is a bit of an exaggeration because of the low light and the shutter speed, but it illustrates what I was telling Xjjeepacorn earlier.

Basically, the cluster on either is made to bounce light from the side of the bulb and then to your eyes. Modern cars that have in dash LED setups are setup with them in mind. Its sort of like those trucklite LED headlights. Cool idea, but not as good of a light throw as a filament bulb (in an XJ application).

Might i ask why everyone wants to go to LED? I have original bulbs still burning strong in my 96. They arent exactly pulling up a lot of amperage compared to most things in the jeep either. Is it the color?

For me it's the colour too just to try and make my jeep sand out a bit more! It's subtle ya know! That's why I would like you to give my gage cluster a face lift too :)

XjJeepacorn
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, for a 97+ you got 2 options. Try and overpower the stock green, or one of the replacement gauge faces. I know of 2. mine, and a set of well made but very expensive ones from a different manufacturer.

Some people are fine with just putting in as strong as a lgiht as they can and living with the blue / green tint.

The 96 and prior bounce off the bezel. Since teh tic marks are white, they will pick up some light. With those, you are much better off cooking up a strip of light like Gojeep did here: http://go.jeep-xj.info/Whitebground.htm , probably better done with a strip or 3 of LEDs.

(yes, I know, he sells similar to what I do. Nice guy, but I use better materials and cut them for you ;) )

Don't worry I won't tell him you said that lol! The strip method ain't a bad idea! My buddy buys that in rolls he does audio installs and all the ricers love their LEDs lol!

Azzy
05-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Don't worry I won't tell him you said that lol! The strip method ain't a bad idea! My buddy buys that in rolls he does audio installs and all the ricers love their LEDs lol!

Nah, I got a ton if info off of that page, he is a great guy.

Here is where I got my LED strips from http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon . Have them in my side marking lights / turn signals. So far, so good. There are other dealer out there, like superbrightleds.com as well. Not sure of any of their status as vendors on here though, I do suggest you look that up :)

Brasscatz
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Nah, I got a ton if info off of that page, he is a great guy.

Here is where I got my LED strips from http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon . Have them in my side marking lights / turn signals. So far, so good. There are other dealer out there, like superbrightleds.com as well. Not sure of any of their status as vendors on here though, I do suggest you look that up :)

Awesome link Azzy! I might have to think of things to use LEDs for now... lol. Hey, you have a writeup on your turn signal lights using these strips?

Azzy
05-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Awesome link Azzy! I might have to think of things to use LEDs for now... lol. Hey, you have a writeup on your turn signal lights using these strips?

I may have taken pics. It was a while back. My favorite mod with their stuff? I wired in one of the weatherproof light bars into the cargo area light... and since it is tubular, you can focus it either inside or out of the jeep.

I'll have to get some more pictures of my XJ up on here.
:D

bcrosson92
05-29-2013, 08:27 AM
can someone please list the bulb type and how many for all the interior lights. some say 194 for the cluster some say 74. mines a 1990 if that makes a difference.

Azzy
05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
can someone please list the bulb type and how many for all the interior lights. some say 194 for the cluster some say 74. mines a 1990 if that makes a difference.

there are 2 sizes of lights. larger for the gauge faces, smaller for the trouble lights and other parts of the dash.

Those real tiny LEDs burn out fast.

XJ Wheeler
05-29-2013, 09:24 AM

The '90 uses (9) 194s for the cluster, be sure to get 360° bulbs so they shine to the sides.

bcrosson92
05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
how about the shifter and HVAC and all that

XJ Wheeler
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
how about the shifter and HVAC and all that

(1) 194 aka T10 for the transmission shifter
(1) 194/T10 for the t-case shifter
(1) T5 for the a/c control panel
(1) T5 for each switch indicator light (the ones to note what the switch is for)
(1) 194/T10 for the glovebox light
(2) 194/T10 for the front footwell lights (if equipped)
(1) 561 for each dome light (depending on if yours was equipped with the optional second one in the rear)
(2) 906 (i believe) for the map lights (if equipped)
I am unsure on any for the overhead console

For the 194/T10 LEDs, be sure to get 360° bulbs to spread the light.

bcrosson92
05-30-2013, 05:10 AM
thank you so mich

bcrosson92
06-06-2013, 08:19 AM
anyone know how to change the little map lights next to the dome light. the circle ones. i dont see a way to pop the lens off and put my led in

NW99XJ
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
I would thing that they just snap out...the whole "round part" ...housing and all, like an eye ball in a socket so to speak..... its either that or you have to drop the whole thing, and get to them from the back....not sure....its been ages since I tore into one of those and I dont remember exactly how it all works. I'll see if I cant find an exploded view of the assembly and post it up.

bcrosson92
06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
anyone know what the part is called that the grill and all the lights on the front end attach to? the fiberglass or plastic thing behind the grill and headlights. my grill and lights are all held by like one or two screws because all the holes are stripped out and its dry rotted. i want a new part because the jy parts will be the same as mine.

4.3LXJ
06-06-2013, 10:32 AM
It is called a header panel. I fixed some of mine with match sticks and 5 min epoxy

bigjim350
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Its called a header panel.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJ Wheeler
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
anyone know how to change the little map lights next to the dome light. the circle ones. i dont see a way to pop the lens off and put my led in

You do have to remove the dome light housing. Its easy though. Remove the dome light lense and youll see two little pins sticking down with a small washer type thing on each (i forget the name of them), remove those and the housing will come down a bit so you can undo the electrical connection. And it should come off then. This what it looks like behind there (except my wiring is a little different).

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/stormy/82026d1323703901t-my-92-xj-laredo-stormy-cimg8243-1.jpg

Simply twist the socket counterclockwise then pull. When replacing the housing back on the headliner be sure to hook the bracket on the front of the housing under the headliner.

Oh, and before you affix it back up there connect the electrical connection and test to make sure the bulbs are in the right position. If they don't come on when the button is pressed flip them 180°.

bcrosson92
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
thanks makes it easy. I thought it just popped down but the plastics in mine are so brittle I didn't want to just snap it off and have a canceling light.

XJ Wheeler
06-07-2013, 04:46 AM
thanks makes it easy. I thought it just popped down but the plastics in mine are so brittle I didn't want to just snap it off and have a canceling light.

Yeah, its a little deceiving. Not something to just rip off though. ;)

bcrosson92
06-07-2013, 06:36 AM
ok thank you