PDA

View Full Version : Longevity and performance

Hercules
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Being new to the forum and inexperienced I have a pretty general question. If its been asked before I'm sorry. Besides your routine oil change and air filter check. What do I need to be doing to ensure my jeep's engine and transmission last a long time. I'm curious about things I've heard before, like should I use Sea Foam engine cleaner? Things like that. What do you guys do to ensure great performance and longevity. Thanks.

Brasscatz
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
No need to ever apologize for asking a question on this forum, buddy. You are on the right track with the oil changes, also good to change your transmission fluid and filter every 50k-60k miles or so. Coolant flushes every.... 30k if I recall correctly. Heck, it may be more helpful if I found the actual service intervals for ya lol. Give it a spark plug tune up every once in a while. Make sure your air filter is clean every oil change. They generally last 15k -20k miles.

Sent from my brain using this new Galaxy tablet thingy

Brasscatz
05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Also, here's a site that'll help with some factory service schedules. You can even sign up for email reminders to perform service. http://www.driverside.com/service-schedule/jeep-cherokee-2001-3390-7375-0?style_id=19824

Other than that, check belts, hoses, fluids, filters, and electrical and you should be good. Also, you asked about seafoam... I've never tried it. Some guys swear by it, some guys are totally against it, so it's hard to say. I will tell you that we have several guys on here that I would trust completely in their opinions and many, many years of experience and can probably tell you more about the stuff.

4.3LXJ
05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
O2 sensor every 50K and crank position sensor every 100K

Hercules
05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

XJ Wheeler
05-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Its a good idea to check on your suspension bushings from time to time. Motor mounts and trans mount too, but not as often. If you have an external fuel filter, i'd say change that about every 25-50k.

nickyg
05-23-2013, 11:02 PM
IF it ever over heats.... Shut it off before it boils over