PDA

View Full Version : Another example of "My fork and spoon made me fat"

Brasscatz
05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Periodically, my company sends out emails from their benefits department. They're full of stories and warnings, even tips and tricks to stay healthy. I usually delete them right away because, let's face it, I'm an adult American and I can make my own decisions. MOST of the adult population has the common sense to know what is healthy and what isn't (Insert quip about "Natural Selection" here) and can choose for themselves what they want to consume. New York has already implimented a ban on sodas over a certain size. People rally against McDonald's to make healthier options on their menu and to cut the caloric and fat content of their existing food. Where does it stop?

Today, in an email received not more than 10 minutes ago, the headline that caught my eye before my finger could click the delete button was
"Did you know that too much sugar could actually kill you? Did you also know that most of the popular sodas and sports drinks are loaded with what is now considered to be a deadly toxin?"
I was thinking they were talking about aspertame which is a common artificial sweetener found in most diet sodas (which I prefer to drink because I like the flavor better). I've heard studies linking aspertame to Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes, and other problems so I was curious. Here's the link.... what are your thoughts? http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/health/sugary-drinks-deaths/index.html

TimmyTXJ
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
"Did you know that too much sugar could actually kill you? Did you also know that most of the popular sodas and sports drinks are loaded with what is now considered to be a deadly toxin?"

My response to that is "So can too much water, air, vegetables, etc..." Personally, I believe in moderation. Too much of anything is bad for you. I also typically try to avoid eating things that have ingredients I can't pronounce (at least when I'm being conscientious about what I eat). Apart from that it's game on... "expert" opinions on what's healthy for you and what's not changes too often to pay much attention.

Infidel Edition
05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
A year or so ago, I remember seeing some crap on CNN about the DANGERS of soft-drinks (specifically diet) being tied to obesity and such.
Their logical link was that people that go to McD's feel that because they were drinking less cal.'s, they could effectively eat more fries...:out:

Thus, it was the diet Coke that makes people fat! Not the DOUBLE CHEESE BACON BURGER WITH EXTRA SECRET SAUCE:stars:

And another study that suggested that the "carbon" in carbonated drinks hindered performance of little kids in the McPlayland....
... NOT THE SUPERSIZED BOX OF (*&^( they ate before. :crazy::crazy:

Someone should tell these "experts" that their "breaking news" :hitsfan: is causing fat people to stress out and have high blood pressure issues:boohoo:

:sign0181: just saying.... :bogroll:

LizardRunner
05-23-2013, 01:33 PM
All kidding aside here, most soft drinks contain sugar in large enough quantities to make that 0 calorie advertisement a joke. the calories from a soft drink (any of them) aren't counted if it comes from the sugar, which is metabolised into carbs which then get stored by the body as fat. My late aunt would be a good example, she habitually starved herself from foods good for you but did consume 2L of coke per day, in a one year period she gained 120 lbs this continued till she topped out at 400 lbs. I did a caloric test of a 20 oz coke (regular not diet) and found that the advertised 120 calories was about 600 calories short of the actual quantity. Oh yeah, And, being overweight is a cause of high blood pressure just as sure as stress can make it rise.

Mudderoy
05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Josh and I discuss personal responcibility in Ep. 2 of the Tony and Josh Show.

http://tonyandjosh.com/

Infidel Edition
05-23-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not arguing that too much of anything is bad. Look at Vitamins for example. There are several that are toxic in mass quantities.
In fact the B complex that is often used in energy drinks is toxic if you consume the equivalent of 4 or more RedBulls per day for an extended period.

Yet other things like salt "might be" bad for "some" people. Doctors will generally agree that TOO MUCH salt is bad. But it's rare that any doctor can actually define "too much" when it comes to salt.
AND not enough salt can also cause problems in your bio-electrical system... which is the issue of drinking too much water.

People should understand the dynamics of their physiological system...
...caloric intake - calories burned during physical activity = potential weight gain
But there are so many misstatements and false advertisements out there that people lose sight of basic common sense.
A couple months ago, Good Morning America shared "breaking health news" that diet and exercise are key to good health.

A couple years ago, eggs were bad. Now eggs are good.
Eat more fish, don't eat fish / it has mercury
Don't drink so much beer / A beer a day helps fight cancer...
Drink water, but don't over-hydrate.
Exercise, but not too much...
:sign0181::stars::sign0181::stars:

Brasscatz
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
A couple years ago, eggs were bad. Now eggs are good.
Eat more fish, don't eat fish / it has mercury
Don't drink so much beer / A beer a day helps fight cancer...
Drink water, but don't over-hydrate.
Exercise, but not too much...
:sign0181::stars::sign0181::stars:

Exactly! Lol, I think it's funny how all that happens. They tell us one thing, then tell us the opposite! Our society today has a habit of jumping on things and "calling for" this, or "calling for" that... If things like the New York soda size limit thing was marketed to the people in a different way, say, "Here's another thing we're trying to save you from yourself on because you're too stupid to make your own decisions", then it probably wouldn't have happened. I just don't want to continue down the path we're on.

XJ Wheeler
05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah, they flip flop enough i don't believe nor care what most of what is said these days about diet. Mostly every one of our grandparents lived long lives, mine got to be into their 90s. And they lived by steak, beef, eggs, potatoes, gravy, etc. People lived for quite a while before researchers found they now shouldn't. :rolleyes: Fruits and vegetables, that's the old school diet and just about the only one i believe in. Everything in moderation too. You can count calories, eat less sodium, watch your sugar intake, and die from a bleeding ulcer. I do believe exercise is more important than what you eat. Exercise will condition your body, and needs more nutrition anyway.

So, as the story of drinking sodas is bad for you. Don't they think thats been common knowledge for DECADES?!?! Sounds like a waste of money and time to me.

Infidel Edition
05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Exactly! Lol, I think it's funny how all that happens. They tell us one thing, then tell us the opposite! Our society today has a habit of jumping on things and "calling for" this, or "calling for" that... If things like the New York soda size limit thing was marketed to the people in a different way, say, "Here's another thing we're trying to save you from yourself on because you're too stupid to make your own decisions", then it probably wouldn't have happened. I just don't want to continue down the path we're on.

It's like in Demolition Man where the government made "all restaurants Taco Bell" and limited what they served to nutritional supplement tabs.
Then out-lawed saturated fats, cussing, and smoking.
... maybe even beer

Brasscatz
05-23-2013, 06:37 PM
It's like in Demolition Man where the government made "all restaurants Taco Bell" and limited what they served to nutritional supplement tabs.
Then out-lawed saturated fats, cussing, and smoking.
... maybe even beer

lol, yep! I still want to know how to use the 3 seashells...

TimmyTXJ
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
lol, yep! I still want to know how to use the 3 seashells...

S#%$ Jim, that's hilarious!

And now I have just been fined 1 credit for violation of the verbal morality statute. :D

07Negative
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
The USDA or as I call em, the USduh. Pushes much of this stuff. Sugar is rather toxic in the quantities people are consuming it in. But on the same token with these extremist vegan knuckle heads. Much of our vegetables are lacking nutrients. So it's like you're damned if you do or don't.
Personally I say you have to heal the land before you can heal the people. But that's not happening. Eating too much meat is not good for ya either. But I know people that eat meat in the quantities they should be eating veggies. Not to mention the lack of water people drink in lieu of soda.
I like what Tony stated about personal responsibility. Sadly, there's a copious amount of stupid people. So government has to step in b.c they too think there's a ton of doh doh's out there that can't make good choices. Besides, fat people, drug abusers, & smokers take a huge toll on healthcare.