PDA

View Full Version : Not really modified... but replaced tint in back

Infidel Edition
05-21-2013, 08:48 PM
OK so window tint is and isn't really a mod. But I couldn't figure a better place to stick this.
The window tint in the rear doors/cargo windows/and hatch SUCK CRAP!
Not sure if they are stock or PO self installed....
I chose to pull the 2 cargo side window and deal wit a leak at the same time.
...before ~

Most people say its a 2 person job. But since I played hookie from work (& the wife)... I had to improvise.
I used a packing blanket and 2 tie-downs for letter pressure.

Pulled / cleaned / applied / cleaned the rubber / found the bad spot and sealed it....
Then reinstalled (again using the blanket and straps...

Limo Black.
This weekend I'm gonna pull the rear hatch glass (since it's not installed correctly at the moment) and will tint it with 5%.
And when I deal with the window felt replacement.... I'll do those with 20% tint (to be within most tint reg's)

Brasscatz
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Nicely done, looks great! I dont know about where you live, but they changed the maximum legal tint level in Texas to 25% :(

Sent from my brain using this new Galaxy tablet thingy

XJ Wheeler
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
I have already put 2.5% on our work truck, if that's true don't tell anyone. Shhhh...

I've dealt with tint on a few vehicles, by myself. Sucks every time, especially when you're stuck in the vehicle, having to have the doors shut and windows up, in Texas summer, and can't have the vehicle idling for hours for a/c.

Infidel Edition
05-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Nicely done, looks great! I dont know about where you live, but they changed the maximum legal tint level in Texas to 25% :(

Sent from my brain using this new Galaxy tablet thingy

Even on the cargo windows?
That's F'd up!

In theory, you can have the cargo area as a "dedicated storage area" with no side windows...
Not on the Cherokee from the factory ~ but I've seen SUV's customized that way.
Which is effectively why you have side mirrors.

Infidel Edition
05-21-2013, 11:56 PM
BTW ~ for those that haven't dealt with the back windows...
It's a standard window seal and when putting it back in, you need to (if you want it to go easy) use a strong string... like kite string ... wrap it around the inner channel of the rubber ~ set the bottom of the window rubber in place ~ then with steady pressure on the outside /why I used the straps and blanket / and pull the string.
As it pulls toward the inside of the jeep... it pulls the rubber over the lip... and ~ your done

Carves
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
That's F'd up!

In theory, you can have the cargo area as a "dedicated storage area" with no side windows...

Dont quote me ... but I think there were 2wd Euro XJs with the rear windows blanked out.

Probably just a sheet metal insert to replace the glass ... like quite a few other brands did - to market a "commercial/tradies" vehicle.

Brasscatz
05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
That's F'd up!

Only the front windows. Rear windows can be as dark as you want as long as you can see 250 ft. behind you via side mirrors or rear view mirror. Here's a trick though... If your windows are down and can't be rolled up... they can't be tested and therefore can't fail. :D just like you don't have to have a windshield to pass, but you have to have good windshield wiper blades lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Infidel Edition
05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Only the front windows. Rear windows can be as dark as you want as long as you can see 250 ft. behind you via side mirrors or rear view mirror. Here's a trick though... If your windows are down and can't be rolled up... they can't be tested and therefore can't fail. :D just like you don't have to have a windshield to pass, but you have to have good windshield wiper blades lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

If you go LimoBlack on the rear hatch / 2 side cargo windows...
And 20% on the rear passenger (if you have 4 door)~
It'd be naturally dark on the front even if you went 35% or less tint on them.
Not that it helps as much with solar heat, but it looks cool.

~ most of the states I looked at were 20% or less on ALL passenger windows.

Infidel Edition
05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
:mad:
So we have had solid rain since I swapped the 2 sides...:beer:
...But the back was the MAIN OFFENDER OF LEAKING! :bang:

Luckily, I bedlined the back as there's a big puddle from side to side.
I should have done that window first as the sides were only minor leaks in comparison. :bogroll:

2 funerals tomorrow and so far ~ only 1 on Sat.
Maybe Sunday...

Infidel Edition
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Hitt'n the pick'n pull today looking for door window rubber and felt.
Banking that Jeep ~ Chrysler use a standard size felt strip ~ and that I'll find something g on a late model that's a good match.

*and, fingers crossed, a better gauge set of battery cables. Current 1's look like 8 ~ maybe 6.
If I need to replace them, I'm wanting 4 or larger...

Infidel Edition
05-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Luck at the yard....
.....sort of.

Found a 90's xj with good felt/rubber
AND 1/2 OFF WEEKEND! So $9 for all 4 doors worth.
Also grabbed a rear view for $3

But zero luck on the bat cables. The yard crew snipped the ends off to save 18 seconds when pulling batteries.

Infidel Edition
05-26-2013, 07:56 PM
DONE WITH ... the back

Figured as long as I was pulling the doors apart to swap the window felt/rubber... I decided to knock out the tint too.
AND I FIXED the leak! The rear window seal wasn't installed right:beer:

I may do a 30% on the two front windows when I deal with the felt/rubber there...
Not sure yet

bluedragon436
05-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Looks good... I've been thinking of doing my front two windows to match the factory tent on the rest of the windows.. Either way I'll get flack for it in DE... man I need to register this biatch in SC!!

Infidel Edition
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Looks good... I've been thinking of doing my front two windows to match the factory tent on the rest of the windows.. Either way I'll get flack for it in DE... man I need to register this biatch in SC!!

Where's your home of record?
...otherwise you'd need a mailing address

bluedragon436
05-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Home of record is SC!! I have addresses in SC that I can use if needed either way!!