PDA

View Full Version : Okay so code 42...

prcjeep
05-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Okay so code 42... an open or short connection detected in automatic shut down relay curcuit... what would be the fix or how do I locate said issue?

prcjeep
05-18-2013, 03:26 AM
Okay so code 42... how do I correct this? Or determine where the issue is?

4.3LXJ
05-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Could be as simple as needing a new relay. Substitute the fan relay, IIRC it fits there and see if that fixes it.

prcjeep
07-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Well, i guess i could update this....

There is no update, lol, I didn't do anything and the light has been off for about 2000 miles:hmmmm2:

Mudderoy
07-12-2013, 10:07 AM

There is no update, lol, I didn't do anything and the light has been off for about 2000 miles:hmmmm2:

I really thought someone with a OBDI Jeep would have responded to you...

42: Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted
42: Fuel pump relay control circuit
42: Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

None of these sound good from a random the motor will just quit standpoint.

I saw a couple of posts about no start or stranded. I wonder if it would be worth carrying a spare relay in case its the first one.

prcjeep
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I really thought someone with a OBDI Jeep would have responded to you...

42: Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted
42: Fuel pump relay control circuit
42: Fuel level unit - no change over miles OR Z1 voltage missing when auto shut-down circuit energized

None of these sound good from a random the motor will just quit standpoint.

I saw a couple of posts about no start or stranded. I wonder if it would be worth carrying a spare relay in case its the first one.

Oh ive got probably 4 relays in the tool box and a ton of fuses. I did fix my speedometer sensor and now it reads correctly and my odometer is functioning again... so that may have had something to do with it as stated above, "no change over miles", since the miles were not ticking away at all.

MichaelBrady
07-17-2013, 01:28 AM

There is no update, lol, I didn't do anything and the led lighting (http://www.niceledlights.com) has been off for about 2000 miles:hmmmm2:

So when will you update..Lights are ok now

prcjeep
07-17-2013, 04:27 PM
So when will you update..Lights are ok now

Well the only thing I did was fix my speedo gear in the tcase so that my speedo would work again... my sensor had been screwy for some time.

2 posts above i mentioned that maybe by correcting the speedo issue it corrected the CEL as perhaps the third reason down posted by Mudderoy was the reason the code 42 turned on...

If it wasnt me fixing the speedo gear sensor to where it was connected and functing on my dash correctly, then i have no idea why the light was on and why it turned off by itself.