PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my jeep :D

jaysXJ
05-14-2013, 03:37 PM
pretty soon, I'm going to have a son. My wife is due in September. I am excited for two reasons. One, so that I can be a better father than I was and prove everyone wrong about the parenting being passed down from generation to generation. So that I can prove to myself that I'm better than my past.

Reason number two, is that I have the OK from my wife to start building my jeep up. Looking for my specific products has been kind of a waste of time, mostly because all of them are out of my budget. I just don't want to spend a couple thou for a decent kit.

so here is what I want, if you're willing to help.

I want a 4" quality lift kit, or just enough to fit some good looking 32"s on there. mostly for looks, but also for offroading(this is my primary vehicle, so I can't beat it to crap)

Some cheap, but good looking rims for the tires

A utility roof rack, much like the ones seen on the Range Rover, with hopefully bars on top. The Range Rover's has a storage roof rack that doesn't look like a mom rack and you can also tie something on top. I work in construction, so more room= more practicality.

and a rear tire mount.

one last thing, I don't know what the cutout on the rear of my jeep on the right side is for, it looks like it should have a cover on it, but I kinda picture making that into a cooler.
Any ideas/recommendations on budget mods where you don't just pay for the brand? What's some cool mods you've done to your XJ to make it more practical?

4.3LXJ
05-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Jay, to do all you want on 2K is going to be difficult unless you can fab that bumper and rear tire carrier yourself. That would be an expensive item. You can run 31s and one or two brands of 33s on stock rims. Here is a thread you will be interested in.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5646

NW99XJ
05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Two manufacturers come to mind for the most complete kits out there (one stop shop)
Rubicon Express
Rough Country

Both offer a 4-4.5" lift kit that comes with everything you're going to need, minus of course a Slip Yooke Eliminator (SYE) and usually extended brake lines.
A new drive-line will be required after the SYE, and you'll want to consider upgrading the steering components from the stock XJ linkage, to the linkage from a ZJ.
The rod ends are beefier, and the rods themselves are stronger too, (larger diameter and thicker walls.)

That would be all that is on my short list as far as the essentials go.
You'll eventually want to consider going with 4.10 or maybe even 4.56 gears to get some of your low end torque/power back after stepping up to 32's.

Thats about it, I'm sure there will be other's that will chime in to validate this or offer other ideas as well.....

In any case, congrats on the new addition to the family..... best of luck with everything.

EekGirl96
05-14-2013, 03:56 PM
For the lift, I would go with Rough Country, theyre pretty cheap and mine did well offroad and on (I had the 6.5" lift on my XJ)...

Are you trying to buy all new products? If not definately check out craigslist, I see alot of cheap steel wheels one there (you can also get some steel wheels on 4 wheel parts for $82)

Just like Steve said, 2K is going to be difficult to do (especially if you want to buy brand new) but check your locals, they usually have some good deals on there

jaysXJ
05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
no, that's not my budget. just wanted recommendations. i can dish out more

prerunner1982
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't have any info on a 4" lift, I went with a 2" budge boost... sorry.

You might also fit in your budget re-gearing for 32"s. You will hear some say they run 35"s and stock gears with little problem, but being your DD you will notice a severe drop in MPGs. I don't know if this has much effect on your.... but it does on me.

For cheap wheels black D windows are hard to beat, though pretty common in the Jeep world.

Here is a write up on a DIY no weld roof rack: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7379&highlight=weld+roof+rack

If you have a 2" rear hitch you might look at the Detours Knucklebone. http://xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8493&highlight=knucklebone

The cutout on the passenger side of the rear cargo area... is well.... just a cubby hole. There is a subwoofer enclosure that you can get to fit there. Some people have mounted bungie cords back and forth or a sheet of aluminum (not all the way to the top) and made a storage area.

denverd1
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
hmmm... I don't think gears are in the cards for that sort of budget. I'm on 33's with stock 3.55 gears and the only time I notice is when I'm running 60 or 70 and try to accelerate.

Congrats on the little one.

XJ Wheeler
05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
I have an older Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm kit, and even though its not really cheap the quality is there. And just to clarify, it does come with extended stainless brake lines. A lot of guys (even on here) have Rough Country and have been pleased. Although the track bar seems to be a tad weak and will bend with harder off road use. But that's easy to fix with Ironman4x4s track bar system.

For the tire carrier, like Jon said, the Detours knucklebone will slide right in your receiver and tilts soyou can get in the back.

There's tons of cheap mod you can do to these things and even more if you can fabricate/weld. Headlight and harness is one you won't regret if you haven't already.

One that's not necessary but i have enjoyed immensely is the Hoodlift system. It mounts supplied struts on the hood to lift it like the liftgate. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFkQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quadratec.com%2Fproducts%2F13 027_700_07.htm&ei=mqySUYufIsS30QHuvoDIBw&usg=AFQjCNGrlUivHGIWIgpI6BGQ8pQZCvx6iw&sig2=JVoFjaFC96QFQcQOBnKHPg

Rustbucket
05-14-2013, 04:43 PM
pretty soon, I'm going to have a son. My wife is due in September. I am excited for two reasons. One, so that I can be a better father than I was and prove everyone wrong about the parenting being passed down from generation to generation. So that I can prove to myself that I'm better than my past.

Reason number two, is that I have the OK from my wife to start building my jeep up. Looking for my specific products has been kind of a waste of time, mostly because all of them are out of my budget. I just don't want to spend a couple thou for a decent kit.

so here is what I want, if you're willing to help.

I want a 4" quality lift kit, or just enough to fit some good looking 32"s on there. mostly for looks, but also for offroading(this is my primary vehicle, so I can't beat it to crap)
another option to consider would be to do a 3 inch lift, then trim and bumpstop accordingly
Some cheap, but good looking rims for the tires
pro comp has alloy wheels in the $80 range that look pretty good
A utility roof rack, much like the ones seen on the Range Rover, with hopefully bars on top. The Range Rover's has a storage roof rack that doesn't look like a mom rack and you can also tie something on top. I work in construction, so more room= more practicality.

and a rear tire mount.
the tailbone is definitely the way to go
one last thing, I don't know what the cutout on the rear of my jeep on the right side is for, it looks like it should have a cover on it, but I kinda picture making that into a cooler.
Any ideas/recommendations on budget mods where you don't just pay for the brand? What's some cool mods you've done to your XJ to make it more practical?
throw some tow hooks on the front. It doesn't cost much and you'll be thankful you did if you ever get stuck

jaysXJ
05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
How does the tailbone not cover up the plate?

and does everyone know anything about the cargo racks?

XJ Wheeler
05-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Any rear tire carrier is gonna block the license plate, just not enough room for both. You can mount the plate to the spare though, or elsewhere if ya wanted.

prerunner1982
05-17-2013, 10:44 PM
which cargo racks? I posted a link to a no weld DIY rack......