PDA

View Full Version : '89 door vent window replacement help

Infidel Edition
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Has anyone replaced the vent windows (movable type)?
... and how does the assembly come out?

I found a couple donor jeeps at the pick'n pull. And I figured out to remove the two screws from the inner/upper front of the door.
That freed up the majority of the window assembly ~ but it was still attached somewhere that I wasn't able to find.

Someone had broken into the jeep before I owned it by breaking the hing and then prying the bottom support bar.
I swapped out the hing piece with a donor off of a broken window +/- some drilling and such to make screws fit...
but that doesn't fix the lower piece. It's just sort of sitting on a bump to hold it in place.
And I'm not convinced that it's gonna hold.

Is there a 3rd or 4th screw/bolt spot?

GrumpysMJ
05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe there is a third screw in the window channel toward the bottom of the channel. Probably hidden by the rubber/felt window channel.
My Haynes shows three screws, two on the upper door frame and one down low in the channel. You will have to take the door panel off and remove the water guard to acccess it.

I just re-checked my Haynes, and it only shows two screws, both in the upper door frame. Manual says to remove the two screws and tilt the window back at an angle, and pull it out.
GrumpysMJ

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
There is one at the bottom of the window channel. You will have to pull the door panel to unscrew it

Infidel Edition
05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
There is one at the bottom of the window channel. You will have to pull the door panel to unscrew it

I'll attack the 'other' door at the jy to make sure I don't break it...
And hunt down that 3rd screw.

Will be nice to have a functional vent window since my AC don't work

Infidel Edition
05-13-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe there is a third screw in the window channel toward the bottom of the channel. Probably hidden by the rubber/felt window channel.
My Haynes shows three screws, two on the upper door frame and one down low in the channel. You will have to take the door panel off and remove the water guard to acccess it.

I just re-checked my Haynes, and it only shows two screws, both in the upper door frame. Manual says to remove the two screws and tilt the window back at an angle, and pull it out.
GrumpysMJ

I didn't see it in the Haynes... I gotta start digging deeper

nickyg
05-13-2013, 08:09 PM
I belive it's a 10 mm hex. about 2/3 down the door.

nickyg
05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I found this, it kinda gives you an idea of how it goes in.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
The screw I was talking about is in the flange on the bottom

Infidel Edition
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
I found this, it kinda gives you an idea of how it goes in.

Awesome pic
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out:beer:

Infidel Edition
05-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Wing / frame assembly / rubber and everything
...hing is solid and the base pin is good as new.
$26 and 30 minutes at the pick'n pull.

Now if it just stops raining!
SUCKS NOT HAVING A GARAGE!

4.3LXJ
05-18-2013, 10:39 AM
It never stops raining in the PNW. I predict three days of summer, not necessarily consecutive ...... :D

Infidel Edition
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
As soon as I pulled the window apart ~ and started to reassemble it dawned on me replacement felt would have been cool!

But the wing is good to go.
And I fixed the gap on the rear hatch
Was almost 1/2" bigger on top before

... and cleaned the gutter out!
Not sure it's been cleaned in years!