PDA

View Full Version : 01 Xj won't start all of a sudden...

markoxj
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Took my 2001 xj sport off road for the first time yesterday and to say the least it was GREAT!!.. No problems while I was out, but later that day when I got home I tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over... maybe some water got something wet?

SYMPTOMS..
-not turning over
-click sound coming from starter relay
-power cuts lower once I try to turn it over..

I unplugged the battery, checked the terminals (good) briefly looked at the fuses but not in depth..

nickyg
05-12-2013, 07:30 PM
What does the battery cables/ termenals look like? If your not sure go ahead and change em.
Do you have a volt meter? your battery should give off 12.6 volts any lower then 12.4 and it's bad.
some parts stores can check your battery.
Thats where I'd start.

4.3LXJ
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Check your volt meter to see if you have 12V. If not, the battery is low and needs to be charged. If yes, you probably need to clean the terminal connections

Brasscatz
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
If you don't have any power at all, start with jumping the battery, then probably look towards alternator. You could've gotten some dirt up in there. If you DO have power, your starter could be the culprit. You could've gotten a bunch of mud in there holding it up

Mudderoy
05-13-2013, 08:47 AM
All good things to check. One other thing comes to mind. You're battery could be bad.

markoxj
05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the recommendations!! I pulled my starter fuses and they were all good, tried jumping the jeep and still no turn over, so I'd like to rule out the the bad battery situation..

think it could be the starter relay?? -Im stumped

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Put the jeep in neutral and try it. You just might have a bad neutral safety switch. Does your dash gauge show voltage?

Mudderoy
05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the recommendations!! I pulled my starter fuses and they were all good, tried jumping the jeep and still no turn over, so I'd like to rule out the the bad battery situation..

think it could be the starter relay?? -Im stumped

How about the voltage reading from a meter?

You can always take the starter off and go have it tested, but personally I'd check the voltage on the battery first. Still could be bad connection, or cable(s)

markoxj
05-13-2013, 12:23 PM
tried the neutral position, nothing happened. ALSO when I try to turn it over the the lights on the radio go out.

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Classic bad connection on the battery cables. There is an inexpensive little tool you can buy to clean the connection when you remove the cables.

Mudderoy
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
tried the neutral position, nothing happened. ALSO when I try to turn it over the the lights on the radio go out.

Sorry, but did you say you have already taken the cables off the battery, cleaned the inside of the connectors and the posts, then tried it again?

Using that little wire brush tool.

markoxj
05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Just bought a terminal cleaner, cleaned the connections then tried starting it up again, no luck. When I was offroading, I never shut the jeep off the whole time ( probs a good thing) So now im trying to figure out what's left..

A little click noise comes from the relay when I turn the key, power goes off on the radio (still stays on the dash) and the brake light on the dash comes on when I turn the key aswell...

4.3LXJ
05-13-2013, 01:17 PM
You still have a bad connection. Cables can go bad from corrosion you cannot see.

Mudderoy
05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Just bought a terminal cleaner, cleaned the connections then tried starting it up again, no luck. When I was offroading, I never shut the jeep off the whole time ( probs a good thing) So now im trying to figure out what's left..

A little click noise comes from the relay when I turn the key, power goes off on the radio (still stays on the dash) and the brake light on the dash comes on when I turn the key aswell...

Yeah it really sounds like a power from the battery problem.

markoxj
05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
PROBLEM FIXED!! First I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone that has helped me out through this little deal.

The problem was that the power supply to my starter was disconnected at the starter.. If it wasn't raining the past few days I would've gotten under there sooner!! Time to adventure off somewhere!!
:)

Brasscatz
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
PROBLEM FIXED!! First I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone that has helped me out through this little deal.

The problem was that the power supply to my starter was disconnected at the starter.. If it wasn't raining the past few days I would've gotten under there sooner!! Time to adventure off somewhere!!
:)

That was the next thing I was going to say :) glad it's fixed!

bluedragon436
05-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Glad to hear you got her fixed... did it just corrode off, or what??

markoxj
05-13-2013, 07:43 PM
It must have wiggled loose while I was out and about, I was able to clean out the female connection with a paper clip, and used cotton swabs to clean out the connection on the starter before attaching both together!

Carves
05-13-2013, 08:45 PM
It must have wiggled loose while I was out and about, I was able to clean out the female connection with a paper clip, and used cotton swabs to clean out the connection on the starter before attaching both together!

Mine was doing the same thing a while back.

Had too much tension on the wiring - and wriggled off occaisionally with vibration.

You might also need to lengthen the wire or adjust how its clamped along the engine.