PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever fabricated a brush guard instead of buying one?

dagod16
05-11-2013, 06:34 AM
I am not spending 500 to 800 for a front brush guard. I don't even need the front bumper to be metal. Just a black, maybe gloss black brush guard.

It's just some tubing, a plate or two and a few welds I can have done at the local shop near me and a few holes drilled.

It can't cost that much?

Seriously.

4.3LXJ
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
You're right it shouldn't. The tricky part is how you attach it. To be affective, it needs to attach to the frame, which would increase the cost. Most just attach to the bumper. But to answer your question, I have not made one, but made custom front and rear bumpers instead. You can get the plates to attach to the frame as "builder parts". I believe Dirt Bound Off Road one of our vendors has them

dagod16
05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Would it need to be aluminium or steel

Brasscatz
05-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I would definitely go steel. Aluminum, while much lighter, just isn't strong enough.

4.3LXJ
05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
T6 aluminum is plenty strong, as strong as steel. But once you weld it the temper is gone and most people lack the skills to weld aluminum. So use steel, which will be cheaper anyway

dagod16
05-12-2013, 01:24 AM
I looked at that vendor but I'm not sure what I am looking at. I have access to a machine shop and people that can tack weld and semi good weld for me. I have access to a tube bender. I don't have access to a cutter. I think what I am going to do is make a wooded template of the metal supports holding up my brush guard.Then I can buy some steel and have them make me two pieces with holes and the D ring slot. This will be my summer project.

nickyg
05-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I think what I am going to do is make a wooded template of the metal supports holding up my brush guard.

Good idea, you could use cardboard to make a template too. It's a lil easier to work with.

cpttuna
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I had a regular brush gueard on my Bronco years ago and it just rusted badly. After redoing it twice, I took some measurements and made one(smaller) out of stainless. It has served the purposed for the cost of some scrap metal and a few welding rods.

cpttuna
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
This one is bolted to the frame and is lightly bolted to the bumper in 2 spots.